IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New April 15th now.
New Well, Arca Noae has finally accepted my payment . . .
. . but no date for my actual download yet.

Specifically stated is that it will run all OS/2 Warp4 software, eCS programs, DOS, Windows 3.1, some Windows32 programs and ported Linux programs on up-to-date multi-core processors with full USB and SATA support (except not SATA RAID yet. but that is risky even on Linux).
New ArcaOS fully installed and functional.
The download was on Tuesday. Today (Friday) it is now my primary computer. Went quite smoothly, just a few hitches, but I'm very experienced with installing OS/2.

The user interface looks a lot more like Linux than the old OS/2 desktop did, but the underlying stuff is completely compatible. All my OS/2 software runs perfectly, except faster, and my Firefox now has video and sound.

The one thing I don't expect to run is the ancient Faxworks for desktop fax. It had to be installed before FixPack 15, because the install method used no longer existed after 15. Not a problem, I don't use desktop fax any more.

One thing they need to fix is with USB. Some KVM switches abandon the keyboard and mouse interfaces and expect them to be found on switching back, which doesn't happen. This I missed during configuration on the workbench, but it's not needed now that this is my main computer.

My old computer, RHINO, is still on the network for reference in final configuration of SERPENT1. In a few weeks it'll get a new 1 T hard disk and be updated to ArcaOS v5.0 and renamed RHINO2.

One thing that hasn't worked since Firefox 2 is printing from Firefox. The OS/2 port guys were never able to make that work - so I've always kept v2.0.0.4 on my OS/2 machine because I do a lot of printing from the browser related to developing my clovegarden.com Web site. ArcaOS includes the CUPS printing system, but there are still some glitches to work out.

Basically, I'm quite pleased with ArcaOS.
New Printing? What's that?
--

Drew
New How true!
Not only do I print much less, I often scan stuff printed by others or even myself a long time ago and shred the originals.

It's much easier to organize the PDFs.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New No printing makes it a little difficult . . .
. . to have a recipe on paper to use in the kitchen, and be able to mark it up with dripping fingers without ruining something that isn't quite so expendable.

It also makes it very difficult to simply hand a paper copy of a document to people who are not intensive computer users, of which I know many, including some who don't have computers at all. Computers are a dime a dozen these days, but some people can't afford the Internet service, and may not be very mobile.

No, I rate printing as an absolute necessity - as do most of my businesses clients - when the printer is down, they're out of business.
New My wife uses an iPad to cook using a new recipe.
Also uses that iPad to monitor and control her Bluetooth enabled Instant Pot.

For 21st century folk I email a link or attached PDF file.

And yes, for folks stuck in the 20th century you've got to print! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: My wife uses an iPad to cook using a new recipe.
That's fine for a finished recipe done by someone else - but I'm developing recipes. I have to be able to scribble notes on a printout, with arrows and circles around things, very quickly, and with dripping hands - and without making any on-the-fly changes to the original file - I will need to do those in a thoughtful manner. I can't see an iPad as at all suitable for that.

And, 20th Century? In some cases barely out of the 19th century, and constantly looking back.
     New Warp coming March 31 - (drook) - (10)
         Oh, it will probably be delayed again . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (9)
             One comment suggested it'll probably slip 1 day -NT - (drook) - (8)
                 April 15th now. -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                     Well, Arca Noae has finally accepted my payment . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
                         ArcaOS fully installed and functional. - (Andrew Grygus) - (5)
                             Printing? What's that? -NT - (drook) - (4)
                                 How true! - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                     No printing makes it a little difficult . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                         My wife uses an iPad to cook using a new recipe. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                             Re: My wife uses an iPad to cook using a new recipe. - (Andrew Grygus)

All you need is the GRR Memorial Secret Decoder Ring, and the translation is easy!
130 ms