IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New yaaah!!! maybe, Judges dont like monitoring software
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/08/national/08COUR.html|http://www.nytimes..../08COUR.html] unfortunately it is the 9th circuit most overturned group in America.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New I don't see this as a good thing.
The problem isn't that they said "This is illegal, stop it", they said "You can't do that to US!"

When they say "You can't do this to anybody" (and I'll have to say I don't think there is appropriate legal or moral justification for that (Imagine you own a business and have employees - how much control of *your* property do you think you should have?)) then that will be much better.

But I don't think they've got a leg to stand on, just judicial outrage and bluster - as someone watches *them*.

Addison
New Its is a good thing
They now realize how truly invasive this is and have cases involving privacy in front of them.
thanx,
bill
Our bureaucracy and our laws have turned the world into a clean, safe work camp. We are raising a nation of slaves.
Chuck Palahniuk
New Well...
The question is again: What would you do?

You have a company. You hire people.

These people do things with the company property.

How much should you be able to dictate to them what they can and can't do?

If you had a sign on the side of the vehicles, and your hardworking employees went to a local strip club, would you be OK with that? What about using your phones to set up illegal activities?

After all, its the company property.

So how would *you* handle it with *your* company?

Addison
New Have a policy in place and enforce it equally
I took a pee test before I was hired here. Not a problem. They trade me Job for a cup of pee. I know about it in advance and either accept the test and the job or pass on both. If my employees know that I do not want my truck parked in a strip club then that truck better not be there unless I am driving it. Employees must know what is acceptable before they are hired and accept that as a condition of employment.
thanx,
bill
Chuck Palahniuk
New Yeah.. what if the truck was parked out front
a Buddhist temple. Or maybe an NRA meeting place, on way home - by that employee? (Now either could be seen as a + or a - depending on who is doing the viewing)

Can't be Too Careful about how someone might perceive the image of your company. Or can you?

So ... How 'careful'? and how balance that with the fact that: the Corp does not own your free hours, even if your job requires driving the truck home and back. And your beeper ties you via umbilical - to that cubicle / 24/7.

Gonna be another crap shoot? You state the Company's 'rights'. I'll take the debbil's advocacy. Again. It's a dirty job but..

:-)

Ashton

New No, problem was (lack) of policy
The problem isn't that they said "This is illegal, stop it", they said "You can't do that to US!"

I didn't read the story that way. Apparently the acceptable use policy didn't cover what was expected or allowable, or what monitoring could occur. The story mentions that they are developing a policy (which, if they don't have one, is pretty miserable planning for any organization using computers nowdays, even if they aren't connected to a network.)
     yaaah!!! maybe, Judges dont like monitoring software - (boxley) - (6)
         I don't see this as a good thing. - (addison) - (5)
             Its is a good thing - (boxley) - (3)
                 Well... - (addison) - (2)
                     Have a policy in place and enforce it equally - (boxley)
                     Yeah.. what if the truck was parked out front - (Ashton)
             No, problem was (lack) of policy - (wharris2)

Reillusionment... what a concept.
51 ms