IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Oddly though -
I recall that at least one 'manual' with a 486 mb, pointedly referred to 'THE Grounding point' and with a terse use of ~ phrases like .. "to prevent ground-loops" .. "ensure a hi-current ground return, use a star-washer" etc. It carefully advised using insulating washers for the mere mechanical mount points. That stuck in my 'lectronic memory as being: Sound Advice.

But then.. I tend to read these things 'cause I'm lazy. I'd rather read about What Can Go Wrong than sleuth. Still - only remember this stuff being hinted at once (in maybe a mere couple dozen or so overall installs = pittance).

Ashton
New That's rare!
I've never seen any such advice in motherboard manuals. And I've built more than a half a dozen over the years.

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Don't recall ever seeing "ground loop" mentioned . .
. . in regard to computers, though it certainly is in audio stuff, where a signal can still be "significant" at a very tiny % of the main signal.

Many older boards were, however, essentially "single ground point" with one screw up near the power connection and everything else supported by plastic standoffs. The three 200-MHz and 233-MHz AMD K6 boards I just stripped out of computers one of my clients made me haul away are like that.

Current motherboard thinking seems to be "ground plane" with as much sheet within the board as possible and 7 to 9 ground to chasis points. Plastic motherboard standoffs are no longer used at all, it's all "bolt to metal" now.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New Could be mfg.-memory on that phrase..
After all - it is an analog phenom. (Could screw up small biases though) But now I'm curious, so will make trip to basement and see if one of the manuals survived..

As to that 'encapsulated ground plane' thingie - recall a few years ago in ED (Elec. Design) a treatise on the mb difficulties of getting the design s/ware to produce a decent model for producing good pulse rise-times (article was re RAMBUS at the time - showing GHz fancy 'eye' displays on a $60 K HP scope). Outta my league. But RAMBUS sounded like a loooser, even then - you Needed that HP just to *check* a module! they said; forget the little $1-400 memory tester boxes. Ugh.

Not surprising then, that the new mbs might want multiple good edge grounds, even if the GHz stuff is localized - the memory sockets spread it out.

Yawn.. we're all getting jaded with GHz stuff everywhere, while nobody knows Ohm's Law.

Ashton
     Can someone help me troubleshoot this problem? - (cwbrenn) - (32)
         Sounds like a power problem to me. - (Another Scott)
         one off the wall maybe - (boxley) - (2)
             I'll try that. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                 Alas, alack. - (cwbrenn)
         Best bet for testing PS - (Steven A S) - (1)
             I've gone one further than that. - (cwbrenn)
         Hehehe.... Okay. Now we really get sticky... - (folkert) - (10)
             you mean... it might be a problem with the TOWER? - (cwbrenn) - (5)
                 Case in point! - (folkert) - (4)
                     Ok, it's not the case - (cwbrenn) - (3)
                         BOG.... - (folkert)
                         On using force - - (Ashton) - (1)
                             Grounding motherboards. - (static)
             Uh.. yeah - (Ashton) - (3)
                 Saw a huge batch... - (folkert) - (2)
                     PC electronics appears most often to be a POS - (Ashton) - (1)
                         Splain'd - (folkert)
         Longshots - (Ashton)
         The more I test, the more confused I get - (cwbrenn) - (1)
             Speak of the devil.... - (Another Scott)
         Interesting. Encouraging results. - (cwbrenn) - (2)
             You call that encouraging? - (drewk) - (1)
                 Yeah, well... - (cwbrenn)
         Mysterly solved... and I AM AN IDIOT :) - (cwbrenn) - (8)
             This is like the 'made for IE' pages that break in Mozilla - (drewk)
             Idiot? Come on! - (Meerkat)
             Not an idiot. - (static) - (5)
                 Definitely Not an idiot. - (jbrabeck) - (4)
                     Oddly though - - (Ashton) - (3)
                         That's rare! - (static)
                         Don't recall ever seeing "ground loop" mentioned . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Could be mfg.-memory on that phrase.. - (Ashton)

After personal optimization sets in, you have a population with very few abilities and a great many needs.
123 ms