IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New WTF is systemd?
Someone just released a Debian distro without systemd. I've seen all the hating, but don't do enough sysadmining to know what it's all about.

Is there a short version of what systemd supposedly does better than init, and why (other than greybeard nostalgia) some people hate it so much?
--

Drew
New Re: WTF is systemd?
A single point of failure just waiting to bite hard one of these days.

It was supposed to be an init system with better dependency support but it has morphed into a Hydra that sucked in almost every service that may be running on a machine.

I gave it a chance when Debian released Jessie (clean install on a vanilla HP Intel box). It locked up hard on the first fsck and none of the incantations to make it divulge why worked. I have stayed clear of it since even though that makes life miserable on desktop machines.
New It's a philosophical fight.
Traditional Unix with init is in the spirit of a single purpose efficient tool that might be linked up with others as the need arises. Think of it a Ryobi battery pack that can be hooked to a drill head or a reciprocating saw or flashlight head.

systemd is like a Swiss army knife. It does it all.

[typo]
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
Expand Edited by a6l6e6x Dec. 4, 2016, 05:29:07 PM EST
New systemd is a manager for stuff that has worked well for decades
always look out for number one and don't step in number two
New What was that about greybeard nostalgia :)
--

Drew
New I shave every couple of days whether I want to or not :-)
New +100!
bcnu,
Mikem

I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt. And I claim that right.
Christopher Hitchens.
New Did you get enough of an answer?
It's a collection of C programs and a Shiny New Config File Format intended to replace all those shell scripts in /etc/init.d.

The intention is well-meaning, as there are things that a binary can do that a shell script cannot, but the project leaders seem to have a kitchen-sink mindset which is annoying people. There have also been questions asked about their system architecture skills.

Wade.
New Yup, thanks
--

Drew
New This looks like a good intro
New tl;wr but I read the first section and skimmed the rest
Now I get why the greybeards hate it. It speeds up* the boot process, which only counts if you keep restarting your system, and who does that? And it's useful for launching services as you plug in new devices, and how often do you do that? So it's totally unnecessary.

* Assuming it works.
--

Drew
New it works for various flavors of works
the concept of reading data from a config file then executing based on that isnt bad. I do that myself when starting complicated shell scripts. If they had left /etc/rc and /etc/init.d alone it would have been fine.
New s/fine/better on everything but notebooks.
bcnu,
Mikem

I think religion should be treated with ridicule, hatred and contempt. And I claim that right.
Christopher Hitchens.
New Yeah, this is most clearly a server vs. notebook use case issue
--

Drew
New If that was all it did, it would be a non-issue
It is the usurpation of the stuffs beyond this that causes the heartburn.

https://www.agwa.name/blog/post/how_to_crash_systemd_in_one_tweet
New Yeah, seems to be targeted to the oft boot crowd
New Who reboots their notebook?
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New And of those, how many complained the old boot process was too slow?
bcnu,
Mikem

Christopher Hitchens.
     WTF is systemd? - (drook) - (17)
         Re: WTF is systemd? - (scoenye)
         It's a philosophical fight. - (a6l6e6x)
         systemd is a manager for stuff that has worked well for decades -NT - (boxley) - (3)
             What was that about greybeard nostalgia :) -NT - (drook) - (1)
                 I shave every couple of days whether I want to or not :-) -NT - (boxley)
             +100! -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Did you get enough of an answer? - (static) - (1)
             Yup, thanks -NT - (drook)
         This looks like a good intro - (crazy) - (8)
             tl;wr but I read the first section and skimmed the rest - (drook) - (7)
                 it works for various flavors of works - (boxley) - (3)
                     s/fine/better on everything but notebooks. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                         Yeah, this is most clearly a server vs. notebook use case issue -NT - (drook)
                     If that was all it did, it would be a non-issue - (scoenye)
                 Yeah, seems to be targeted to the oft boot crowd -NT - (crazy) - (2)
                     Who reboots their notebook? -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                         And of those, how many complained the old boot process was too slow? - (mmoffitt)

I am unable to summon the amount of snark that statement requires.
104 ms