IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New stupid colleague tricks
This happens three or four times a year: some cretinous coworker* contrives to send an email intended for an individual or to a specific office to everyone on the vast, continent-straddling BDS network, whereupon a fraction of the recipients respond "not me" as a reply-all, which in turn generates a really big snowball, and the organization's email is effectively paralyzed. Every couple of hours my inbox belches forth another several hundred of these emails, many of them bearing the hilarious header "STOP REPLYING TO ALL!!!"

I've gone way past despairing for BrainDead Systems. Now I despair for the species.

despairingly,

*In Texas this time and the last time. This does not astonish me.
New Used to be worse
In the mid-90s the USMC was on Banyan Vines. It had two features that were pretty new for email at the time: wildcard addressing, and vacation replies.

You see where this is going.

One November 10th someone sent birthday wishes to *@*@*. Many people of course had taken the day off, and a goodly number of those had set their vacation replies. That generation of Vines had not yet gained the intelligence to not reply to a vacation reply with another vacation reply.

I don't know if they wiped everything and restored from backup, but by the time it was working again there was nothing sent on that day still in the system.

I can't find a reference to that incident, but here's a similar one.
--

Drew
Expand Edited by drook Nov. 30, 2016, 03:45:32 PM EST
New And some never learn
Outlook Web Access, as hosted by MS, now does "Reply All" by default :-/
New Boggle!!
I've used Thunderbird for ages, and have never used Outlook or any other MS's other e-mail products. TB has one button for Reply and a separate button for Reply All. Even GMail seems to make it difficult to Reply All.

What is MS thinking??

Sheesh!

Cheers,
Scott.
New Eh?
On old-fashioned OWA, there are three icons at the top of the message pane:

Reply, reply all, and forward.

On Outlook.com, you tap the reply button and you get a flyout list: Reply, Reply All, Reply All by meeting, Forward.

No "reply all" by default anywhere.
New It is in the .edu instances of outlook.com
The default action for that flyout button is "Reply All". They did tweak it some recently as originally it only had the double arrow icon. It now shows the text as well. (And the flyout has sprouted 17 actions behind it :-/)
New So not default, then.
Just at the top of the list.

There is no default - you have to choose something.

And that sounds like local config, tee bee haytch.
New Errr, no
The flyout part is a separate control. If you click on the part that says "Reply All", it does exactly that.
New It's default on Bidness Office 365's Outlook too
The flyout also has an option to select a default ( Reply | Reply All ).
New We had a savvy sysadmin when we were on Vines.
He turned off enterprise-wide wildcarding very early, before most of the corp had logins. Then it became just amusing when a new group was created, someone forgot to turn off the wildcarding and some dingbat sent to *@*@(enterprise).

Wade.
     stupid colleague tricks - (rcareaga) - (9)
         Used to be worse - (drook) - (8)
             And some never learn - (scoenye) - (6)
                 Boggle!! - (Another Scott)
                 Eh? - (pwhysall) - (4)
                     It is in the .edu instances of outlook.com - (scoenye) - (3)
                         So not default, then. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                             Errr, no - (scoenye)
                             It's default on Bidness Office 365's Outlook too - (altmann)
             We had a savvy sysadmin when we were on Vines. - (static)

It's like dingos mating with elephants: messy loud with lots of snapping and position changes.
88 ms