IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Cool trick, where'd you learn that?

This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New The Source is your friend :-\ufffd
Last year? Christian began his Black-Adder (ur -Subtractor?) phase of mental turmoil.. wherein you hide outstanding Truths or just plain perspicuity run amok - visible only to the compulsive Hi-Liters amongst us.

He also kindly sent me a nice -ML primer about where the cross-walks are and why you Never Never fail to pair up [not all but most!] a TAG with a CLOSING er /TAG. Not wanting to incur the wrath of a Christian or even a Scripting-God... as the Daleks keep saying:

I Obey!

Anyway - nada is idget proof: for ex. I force a grey bkg. in browser and Scott's is Real HTML so also:

It Obeys !

And like the cloaked Starship passing through a meteor shower - that white patch amidst all that grey - kinda gives it away! Now what I need is a tag which queries the user's browser and recursively (gotta Love that word!) alters the "#hexadeceeemial whoop-de-doo" accordingly. No? Got a seecrut M$ [Let's Pry Everywhere, while we're at it] non j-script thingie which could Do That???

:-\ufffd
New Please tell me ...
You knew CRC was the one who did black-on-black, but I was the one who did the grey-on-grey, to match the page. If we're going to be slinging credit/blame for these travesties of (mis)communication, we should at least aim our barbs correctly.
This is my sig. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
New On that note, am I the only one...
...for whom Imric's trick doesn't always work? (The apparently random font colour gives it away.) Or, who knows, maybe that's intentional on his part... Panhandler Skip?
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Knows Fucking Everything
New Yabut, as I suggested elsewhere -
Without querying the attached browser (?!) for its defaults: no can tell what bkg is operative. As mine: black on *illuminated* white is an atrocity for poor antediluvian-spawned retinas in most homo-saps - so I force override to lightish-grey (which may only succeed in dimming down the Borders! of many text-boxes, we see)

And to complicate: the composing box may render in the hated white no-matter what, but - reading one's own post in the forum display layout: might respond to the grey override. In my TseTse post - I SEE: a white box within the gray bkg.

Brain hurts..

A.
New Ashton - on Windows...
...the "hated white" of the text- and edit-boxes is settable under "Screen Properties", "Appearance", "Window". I just tested this; it works at least in Nut$crape 4.76... (And let me tell ya, this here edit-box looks mighty weird in yellow! :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
New Ignorance kills..
Yep, my natural inclination to have as little to do with the play-toy parts - deprived me of noticing that, in places I Can do it My Way!

I shall remove a smaller stick-pin from the Billy Doll's mastoid process, in atonement for my not giving him this small credit.

Thanks.. though that adds to the problem of a "universal" invisible text color - one more variable which I think is unlikely to be sent within a header anywhere (?)

Hmmm - next time I want to bite a cat, I think I'll try the yellow background with purple type. Now my grumble is: only Two shades of grey !? But.. this composing screen is now Much better.

OK in penance - I will eventually look at all the little menu thingies in 98. Still, 98-lite has taken out lots of the stuff I'd have had to hunt down and snuff, with the usual good chance of rendering it toast..

[link|http://www.98lite.net/comments.html|[link|http://www.98lite.net/comments.html|http://www.98lite.net/comments.html] ]

A.
New A Zillion Shades Of Grey.
(Well, depending on your display adapter, of course.) Here's how:

In that dialog, when you drop down that little colour selector thingy, see the button on the bottom marked "Other..."? Click that, and you get a standard colour-selection dialog where you ought to be able to choose from the whole gamut your video card can display.

Here's a tip: Select "3-D objects" from the drop-down list on the left, set the colour for that (which used to be called ButtonColor or some such in 3.x Win.Ini) from the dialog, and you get that plus two more nicely complementary shades in the three lower-left boxes of the colour gridlet, just above the "Other..." button.

The lighter one of those is the highlight on the upper-left of 3-D objects like buttons, and the darker one is the shadow on the lower-right of them. (I don't know the algorithm Windows selects them by, but it seems to work.) They're useful for things like "[Active/Inactive] Title bar" and "Application workspace" and so on, IMO.
   Christian R. Conrad
New Danke
for both tips.. shoulda known - those rollickin MBAs at Scheissesaft would get the rilly Important stuff done to a fare-thee-well. Of course! I can have a mauve bkg for those inspired paens to goodness n' stuff..

Will try to fumble a circle pic. of sufficient umm granularity - re the chassis end of Msr. Adret's creations - what's on the chassis is:

Fluted plastic cylinder, 1.3 cm in OD; also 1.3 com protruding. Inside the cyl. are 3 pins in equil. triangle.
(so mating connector would have 3 er vaginas and an ID of ~ to this one's OD). By fluted I mean - ~8 smooth few-mm deep smooth half-round grooves in axial direction, on outside of what might have been just a piece of plastic tubing (maybe even.. diallyl phthalate - try Sayin that 6x, fast! ;-) None would need carry even 4 amps at 120V-ac.

Complicating above is: the cutaway 'hook slots?' which suggest a mating "twist-to-lock" type outer shell, when the plug is inserted home.

Have no idea how non-standardized are such across Euro (no "IEC" there?) - am aware of course, of the various bizness end plugs and their variety. If this description bears no resemblace to what you've seen there before - please, never mind. I may be able to hook up with a NJ ex-distrib, on a good day.

Just enjoyin the fruits of the usual %&*#%^# countless details like SET TMP=%temp% + puttin 'hosts' file in \\windoze + erasin the spyware ap in Nutscrape 4.5 which wants you to help with a survey and... {sigh} rememberin perzackly Where ya'd better fuckin SYS the HD - when it's not clear whether Billy or 98-lite are runnin the install.

The game little Tecra may next become a real notebook again, fer checkin on them Cayman accounts from the backseat of my Cisitalia*

*OK Mr. TMWKFE - -

Hell, I even used the new-fangled Direct-X not-to-be confused with Acti-Vex stuff to.. listen to an MP3 !! (OK it was Amelita Galli-Curci not HotLeadSoup) Now to investigate Mt. Ghost and try to save this virgin, Reg-Cleaned, massaged registry from the vicissitudes of autodidactin itself to death.

Cheers,

Ashton
Wow! 3 installs in a week or so, with driver snipe-hunts n' sneakin-in 98SE cabs for 98 ones .. migawd - honorary IT-geek fer-a-Day? (Er.. that was 3 installs / 2 machines - hadda wipe the Lite-free first one, for just plain Goodness' sake.. Natch Different video, sound, modem drivers. Natch)

now about makin them CDs bootable next always somethin which is why there be monasteries
New Ah, the lovely Cisitalia!
You mean the 1947 Mille Miglia winner(IIRC), the first real "pontoon body" (=no free-standing fenders), don't you? Hmm... What *was* the thing with that, again? Did the Ingenieurbüro of a certain Dr Ing h.c. in Stuttgart work on it? Or was it just the first major design by Sergio "Pinin" Farina, ages before he officially changed his last name to Pininfarina? Something like that, no...?

Yours in Senility,
   Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who At Least Used To Know Fucking Everything About Cars, But May Have Forgot Some
New Since I misplaced coffee-table book..
Can't vet your recollections.
(I'd be surprised though, to hear that a Cisitalia model ever Had a back seat ;-)

I did once see / touch a real Merc. SLR (of the ill-fated '55 Le Mans crash/fire) magnesium body - at Mercedes museum in Stuttgart.

(The troops were more fascinated by my new red A-H Sprite! than - about Their stuff!) Cackle.. I let one of 'em drive it about the parking lot, while I was seeing about getting a service manual for a friend's 300SL gullwing.

(That had *no* power steering and drove like truck. 'Course over 200 kph it all smoothed out, I'm told)

It was much more fun bein car-nutz before Evrybody thought they knew what was Kool... and we got the Thunderbird, and proved in Murica that,

When Murica builds a small car.. it will be the longest, widest heaviest lo-mileage! small car the world has ever seen ..and, that's what we did :-)

Cheers,

I.
New Not to worry, got out my own... :-)
(_Geschichte des Automobils_, Richard v. Frankenberg & Marco Matteucci)

So: Yes, Ferry Porsche (the son), with chief designer Rabe, designed a Cisitalia GP in ~1946/-47.

In 1947/-48, the great (once -- way past his prime by then) Stuck drove the Cisitalia 1100 in several races; won one, got one second place. Also in 1947, the Great -- still, at 54! -- Nuvolari places second in the Mille Miglia, also in a 1100... After having led for most of the race, only to have rainfall cause ignition problems that he lost 15 minutes repairing.

Dunno for sure if this Cisitalia 1100 is the car Ferry Porsche and this Herr Rabe had designed a year before, but it seems not *too* unplausible...

Surprise: Yes, the 1947 street car with the Pininfarina body certainly looks as if it has a back seat, on the photo in my book! :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
New Just checkin on ya CRC
Indeed my maroon '47, coachwork by Signore Pinifarina (~ Zizi Jeanmaire renamed er Jeanmaire = to the -1?) has a back seat, but since I never let the chauffeur drive this one, I prolly can't use the Tecra in the back seat - unless stopped at a local soiree - but why would I want to do That, Then? (And the ignition is.. a bit pesky in downpours - still)

Hey.. did you know that Bugattis (of the Ettore vintage) used *square* cam followers? Yep: pour some babbit into the difficultly swaged-out square hole (not to be confused with Sinclair Lewis's prototypical Murican marketer George Babbitt) --

Then hand scrape til the tappet smoothly slides up & down with required clearance. His logic: The full 'width' was desirable since there was only one plane of needed motion - a much simpler round one, would have wasted that chance for er 'uniform and low wear rate' (for any given area).

Great idea if your labor for original assembly is paid in vino de tavola, I guess ? And a perfect application of the monumental idea:

always note the number of 'degrees of freedom' in a mechanism; never use a 'redundant constraint'. Ex: a 3-leg stool is perfect - 3 points determine a plane, even on an uneven floor. 4 legs? chair wobbly if it Isn't a perfectly flat floor

Ah well, there were indeed Craftspersons alive on this planet.. I have wondered - what the Vincents might have been like, with the genius of Phil Irving et al? - had the British not had to build stuff from the clapped-out machinery still working at end of WW-II.. while the umm loosers got all brand new stuff + techno help yada yada (?)

(The fork blades were made from melted-down surplus Spitfire propellers, it has been said)

Sorry, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..

Ashton
never before has so much been
     TseTse - (ashton2) - (21)
         You mean - (imric) - (7)
             Wow dood... - (bepatient) - (5)
                 *chuckle* - (imric) - (4)
                     Re: *chuckle* - (jlalexander) - (3)
                         Use the Source... - (imric) - (2)
                             Yes, smarter filters are in the cards. ;-) -NT - (admin) - (1)
                                 Awwww.... C'mon! -NT - (imric)
             Nah.. usually gotta stop at what's.. barely possible :-P - (ashton2)
         Cool trick, where'd you learn that? - (drewk) - (12)
             The Source is your friend :-\ufffd - (ashton2) - (11)
                 Please tell me ... - (drewk) - (10)
                     On that note, am I the only one... - (CRConrad)
                     Yabut, as I suggested elsewhere - - (Ashton) - (8)
                         Ashton - on Windows... - (CRConrad) - (7)
                             Ignorance kills.. - (Ashton) - (6)
                                 A Zillion Shades Of Grey. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                                     Danke - (Ashton) - (4)
                                         Ah, the lovely Cisitalia! - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                             Since I misplaced coffee-table book.. - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                 Not to worry, got out my own... :-) - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                     Just checkin on ya CRC - (Ashton)

The recommended age to have a Ouija board is 8+ years. So you have to be 21 to drink alcohol but only 8 to summon the devil.
124 ms