IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Hive mind consensus on Windows 10?
Meh.

Marginally better than the reasonably well received windows 7 UI-wise. Much better than Windows 8.x's tablet hybrid abomination. The desktop taskbar from Windows 7 to Windows 10 is more MacOS-like, with permanently pinnable icons that show running apps in place.

The Start Menu is different but at least it has one again.

The deck chairs in the control panel have been suitably reshuffled, as is the custom.

You can turn off much but not all of the "telemetry" to MS.

It was a "free" upgrade from Windows 7.

A few sore points for me:

- I've made my peace with not being able to turn off/manually run Windows Update on my own terms, but now it saturates my limited bandwidth when downloading updates instead of using the old Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS), even after I turned off all the peer-to-peer update download crap. I'm considering getting a router with bandwidth throttling features to counter. There's some registry settings that can be tweaked, but I don't think they're available on the home version.

- Whenever I reboot (which is rare as I usually use sleep mode), the volume icon in the taskbar disappears. I found that a certain registry entry can be deleted and the shell restarted to get it back. I'm considering putting in something to run that on startup.
New Slowing down updates.
You can tell Windows 10 that your home Wifi is a "metered connection". Windows Update will only reluctantly use a "metered connection". Might save your bandwidth a bit.

Wade.
     Hive mind consensus on Windows 10? - (rcareaga) - (24)
         Re: Hive mind consensus on Windows 10? - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Well said. - (Another Scott)
         no reason not to use xp is there? - (boxley) - (3)
             The current MB Air does not support XP or even 7 - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 If you use a VM you don't need BootCamp - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     I've installed Libra Office on several machines . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         It's fine. - (pwhysall) - (3)
             +10 on your last sentence - (boxley)
             Re: In-car systems - Toyota: Yay! Ford: Boo! - (drook) - (1)
                 A former cow-orker of mine did usability testing for the Ford SYNC stuff - (malraux)
         I thought 8/8.1 was pretty ground-breaking. - (static) - (2)
             A third of a step step backward towards Windows 7 is a good thing. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 So just use Windows 7 - (pwhysall)
         We upgraded all our workstations to it from 7 last month. - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Hive mind consensus on Windows 10? - (altmann) - (1)
             Slowing down updates. - (static)
         You do not want to become the admin - (scoenye) - (7)
             Yes, "user friendly" almost always means "techncian unfriendly". -NT - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                 At the OS level, it has to be - (drook) - (2)
                     But not like this - (scoenye) - (1)
                         Yes, that is how it is. -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
             Printer management is a never ending disaster in Windows. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Win 10 comes with Bonjour, it's just not good at finding Windows printers :-/ -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Should have known. :-/ -NT - (Another Scott)

NaN
53 ms