IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New further to LUCA
Life could have evolved to exploit any of the countless energy sources available on Earth, from heat or electrical discharges to naturally radioactive ores. Instead, all life forms are driven by proton concentration differences across cells' membranes. This suggests that the earliest living cells harvested energy in a similar way and that life itself arose in an environment in which proton gradients were the most accessible power source.

Recent studies based on sets of genes that were likely to have been present within the first living cells trace the origin of life back to deep-sea hydrothermal vents. These are porous geological structures produced by chemical reactions between solid rock and water. Alkaline fluids from the Earth’s crust flow up the vent towards the more acidic ocean water, creating natural proton concentration differences remarkably similar to those powering all living cells.
More here.

cordially,
New I'm not sure it traces life back to deep sea vents . . .
. . it's possible that in those formative times similar conditions were common near the surface.
New Good point
Similar conditions—well, metaphorically speaking—certainly obtained in the immediate environment in my formative years,

cordially,
     "My name is LUCA." - (rcareaga) - (8)
         nice find, thanks -NT - (boxley)
         Fascinating! Thanks. - (a6l6e6x)
         Good info. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             What? No recipes?? -NT - (scoenye) - (1)
                 Even the Chinese markets don't carry that -NT - (drook)
         further to LUCA - (rcareaga) - (2)
             I'm not sure it traces life back to deep sea vents . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Good point - (rcareaga)

I'll teach you to be happy! I'll teach your grandmother to suck eggs!
47 ms