IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New What are we arguing again?
I've said (in essence), "Since Reagan, the Democratic Party has morphed into the Republican Party and the Republican Party has morphed into the Lunatic Party." You've claimed that isn't so. That the Democratic Party is very different from the Old Republican Party. I then post a quote from an Old Style Republican President and you say, "Well, he would be a Democrat today ..." (which I think, is MY point) and then cite Reagan and a couple of successors in an apparent attempt to claim New Democrats aren't New Republicans. I'll give you that. Heck, that's what I've said. From my POV, you claim New Republicans aren't like New Democrats, so New Democrats are not like Old Republicans. That doesn't follow.

I think we might be talking past one another again. Here's a summary of my views and I'd be surprised if you disagreed:

(1) Are New Republicans worse than Old Republicans? Of course they are. They are insane, and either stupid (useful idiots), corrupt supporters of or members of the oligarchy.
(2) Are New Republicans worse than New Democrats? Of course they are for reasons too obvious to list.

Where we part, maybe, is here:
(3) Are New Democrats worse than Old Republicans? No. They are essentially indistinguishable from one another.

And that's why Hillary won't get my vote in November. I'm sick of voting for Republicans.
New No, here's where we part
(2) Are New Republicans worse than New Democrats? Of course they are for reasons too obvious to list.

So you will vote for Trump. Because reasons.
--

Drew
New Because the Democratic Party is also running a Republican.
And I don't think it's a good idea to let the New DNC think they can do that every cycle. If I pull the lever for Donald, it won't be a vote for Donald, but a vote against Hillary and her Old Style Republican Party.
New Well *that* certainly lets you off the hook, mein Herr.
New But Hillary isn't a Republican.
Was Eisenhower the same kind of Republican as Lincoln?

Was FDR the same kind of Democrat as Jackson?

You're getting hung up on labels.

In the fall, you should vote for the party (whatever their name) that will move the country the direction you want it to go given the reality of American politics and the American political system.

Jill Stein has lots of good sound-bites, but she's got some insane positions as well:

* We are in state of emergency; not state of recovery. (Jan 2015)
* Romney & Obama are both pro-1% big corporation. (Feb 2012)
* Cancel college debt: it's now $35,000 per student. (Jan 2016)
* Move school decisions from national to grassroots level. (Dec 2011)
* Moratorium on GMOs until they are proven safe. (Jun 2015)
* Term limits end guaranteed re-election & lifetime incumbency. (Jul 2015)
* Earmarks grease the skids for corruption. (Jul 2015)
* Affordable Care Act is neither Affordable nor Caring. (Oct 2012)
* ObamaCare was step backward for goal of single payer. (Jan 2012)
* Disarm North Korea as part of worldwide nuclear disarmament. (Jul 2015)
* Guaranteed jobs for all who need work. (Oct 2015)
* Tea Party hijacked by funding from major corporations. (Mar 2012)
* Dems & GOP are both sinking ships; one just sinks faster. (Feb 2012)

Even if you think she's the best candidate, recognize that she would have almost no support in Congress and would be unable to get almost anything enacted. (An election that resulted in Stein being elected over Hillary wouldn't give Stein any coat-tails.)

Purity kills. Vote Team D in the fall.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.
New *I'm* getting hung up on labels?
You want me to vote for Democrats for no other reason than they are Democrats.

If Stein were on my ballot, I'd be voting for Stein. The only Old Style Democrat running is Bernie and the New DNC has done everything in its power to quash his effort. I don't vote for labels, I vote for people. Or I used to anyway. I'm seriously considering un-registering.
New Only label I'm hung up on is "best on on the current ballot"
Which, I believe, is what AScott (and everyone who's not you and Box) has been saying all along.
--

Drew
New A President can do almost nothing by himself/herself.
You need a President and Congress to be of the same party to get things done in American politics. Parties control the leadership in Congress, and the leadership determines what is considered, what is voted on, etc., etc.

You're apparently Ok with black males dying earlier under GOP administrations.

The parties aren't the same. Vote for the better party if you want to actually see progress.

Cheers,
Scott.
     another fallen idol - (rcareaga) - (72)
         with Browns support, how many votes does that drive in Bernie's direction? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Re: with Browns support, how many votes does that drive in Bernie's direction? - (rcareaga)
         another one over the side - (rcareaga) - (68)
             Hell, Hayden admitted he sold out as early as 1992. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                 re: the last. Are you sure you want to go there? Mr. GA pilot? ;-p -NT - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     It's not a secret to me that my politics don't play well with my pocketbook. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 As you have pointed out - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     I really don't understand your animus toward a vote from me for Trump. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         Well, that would be in line with comrade Kim Jong-un. - (a6l6e6x)
                         Ah, the "Let's you and him fight..." school of advocacy. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             How's that going for Egypt? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Countries ruled by the military for decades often have problems when the revolution comes. - (Another Scott)
             Umm hmmm. Yup. - (hnick) - (58)
                 Don't like rainbows and unicorns, bunkie? - (rcareaga) - (57)
                     Your projection is off - (hnick) - (56)
                         I don't think RC is applauding the rise of Trump. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                             have you ever read anything but her publicity items? - (boxley) - (5)
                                 Yet she is incredibly popular. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                     maybe, but after 20 years in public eye, no one that was not her up and close loyal staff - (boxley) - (3)
                                         Meh. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                             wonder how much she paid for that? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 rofl. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         I don't think anyone is celebrating. - (malraux)
                         I'll attempt to clarify - (rcareaga) - (47)
                             Well said. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Re: I'll attempt to clarify - (mmoffitt) - (45)
                                 I didn't say it wasn't a laudable goal - (rcareaga) - (44)
                                     We can never accomplish what we REFUSE to try. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                                         I'm also not going to fly to the moon on gossamer wings - (rcareaga) - (42)
                                             if clinton promised everyone a pony I would expect right after her swearing in to open my front - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 you don't care for Hillary Clinton, box? - (rcareaga)
                                             Wall Street tax for openers. You can read about that on his site. - (mmoffitt) - (39)
                                                 The people who have been hurt the most aren't on board with Bernie. - (Another Scott) - (17)
                                                     EXACTLY. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                                                         People in divided government have to compromise. Imagine that. - (Another Scott) - (10)
                                                             What's divided? Two Right Wings don't count. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                                 Your continuing to say that doesn't make it so. - (Another Scott) - (8)
                                                                     What are we arguing again? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                                         No, here's where we part - (drook) - (2)
                                                                             Because the Democratic Party is also running a Republican. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                 Well *that* certainly lets you off the hook, mein Herr. -NT - (rcareaga)
                                                                         But Hillary isn't a Republican. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                                             *I'm* getting hung up on labels? - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                 Only label I'm hung up on is "best on on the current ballot" - (drook)
                                                                                 A President can do almost nothing by himself/herself. - (Another Scott)
                                                         "it was a formative period of her life" - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                                             I don't think he even knew about her. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                 So Treuhaft's stodgy reactionary partner hired her - (rcareaga)
                                                     You've GOT to be kidding. Obamacare? - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                         Tell me about how great Social Security was for AAs when it started. (roll-eyes) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 unconvinced - (rcareaga) - (6)
                                                     Betting on the "breaks" needed to get to the moon was equally shaky, no? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         It wasn't a bet. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                             Medicare for the elderly first, then for everyone. How is that NOT incremental? - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                 It's not complicated. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                     Oh, you've read her transcripts, then? -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                                         Not as shaky as your repeated recourse to this analogy. -NT - (rcareaga)
                                                 I'd love to see a comparable goal - (drook) - (13)
                                                     can do that now but would need to be near a thunderstorm -NT - (boxley)
                                                     I think that's harder than going to the moon. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                                         Replaceable batteries gets you the charge time - (drook) - (10)
                                                             In the real world, people aren't going to be swapping 1000# of batteries in 2 minutes. ;-) - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                                                 you need to go to a better place - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                     Interesting. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                         can be done doesnt mean it will be done -NT - (boxley)
                                                                 So maybe getting battery weight down / energy density up is step 1 - (drook) - (5)
                                                                     It's not clear how much more can be done with current technology. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                         The top end for fuel cells shows 1,000 Wh/kg, that's 1.35 kg - (drook) - (2)
                                                                             But like the paper says, fuel cells are slow. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                                                 Hybrid is is, then - (drook)
                                                                         Bitchin Soyuz pic, also brief energy-density graph.. - (Ashton)
         Here it is in a cartoon. - (a6l6e6x)

My brain hurts thinking about how you know all of that.
170 ms