IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Tried creating boot floppies?
That's how I ended up getting it to work. From what I understand, the BIOS option "boot from CD" is only for IDE CD. The SCSI controller switches the CD to device A:, and shifts the floppy to device B:, which works fine to a certain extent. However, it appears to get the installer confused later on in the process.

I bought a 2940, but surprise-surprise, discovered a 3940 in the box when I got it home. The 3940 is basically two 2940's in one(up to 30 devices). The AIC-7870 is the correct driver. I also found out that you must leave the IDE driver enabled even if you're not using IDE. If I disabled IDE, my system would reset itself(instead of locking up).

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Re: Tried creating boot floppies?
Yes, and they didn't work either. When I tried them I got the same result -- a black screen, "Loading -- please wait" and the floppy drive light was on but nothing happened.

Perhaps because I only have one floppy drive, which the mobo sees as "A" regardless of what the CD says? Is there some way to trick it into thinking the floppy drive is "B"? And why does the boot CD reshuffle drive letters like that anyway? Particularly when eCS says the drive letter for the CD-ROM is S.

Thanks for your reply. Any other ideas, anyone?

Clyde Stauffer
New Forgot an important item!
When using the boot floppies, don't put the CD in until after the booting from floppy has begun! Otherwise, the SCSI controller makes the CD into A: and then you're booting from CD, not floppy.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

[link|http://home.houston.rr.com/spiceware/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore

New Re: Forgot an important item!
You are right! By chance I did just that (after copying aic7870.add to diskette 0 and adding a line basedev=aic7870.add to config.x) and things seemed to be going along well. It asked for all 3 diskettes, then switched to the cdrom. Unfortunately, after loading in a bunch of files (it looks like the controlling config.sys is the one on the cd) things stopped:

"The file S:\\OS2\\PMSHELL.EXE specified in the PROTSHELL statement on line 214 of the CONFIG.SYS file does not contain a valid program."

The program is present on the cd, so now I am looking for further help. Is this perhaps connected with the os2ldr patch?

Clyde
Clyde Stauffer
New Did you enable USB?
I had that error if I selected USB. The only option I took to install was Adaptec 7870.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

New Re: Did you enable USB?
No. Going through the boot floppy route, with the aic7870.add on the floppy, I never got the 3 options menu. Maybe that is where things went awry. I am going to give it another try in a few minutes, after cleaning up this morning's e-mail.

Clyde Stauffer
New There are 2 sets of "boot floppies"
One that works exactly like the CD boot sequence(with a menu to choose options, such as which SCSI controller) and another that you have to modify. I used the first one, there was no need to add aic7870.add to any of the floppies.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

New Any luck?

Darrell Spice, Jr.

New Re: Any luck?
Got eCS installed on my (all-SCSI) desktop by making modifiable diskettes from CD1, entering "basedev.aic7870.add" into config.x and copying that driver onto the diskette. Rebooting after phase 1 hung the system, until I added that same line to config.sys. Then things went along as advertised.

For my 16MB ram laptop I made diskettes from CD2 and installed much like the Warp4 installation. Following that I ran convert.exe and now have a eCS desktop there also.

So -- Yes, finally, I seem to have some luck installing eCS. Now I will just play with it a while, and decide whether or not it is an advance over Warp4 w/FP15.

Thanks for your interest and help.
Clyde Stauffer
New Good - I'm still working on my thinkpad
Kim Cheung is having me try various things, but no luck yet. I've copied the contents of the CD to a temp partition(D:) on my drive, renamed the "playintroduction.cmd" file to "donotplay.cmd" and install from the hard drive(boot the CD but change the 3 install settings from S: to D:). Nothing locks up, but the system doesn't let me start the install. I get to the screen where I can select which video driver to install, but the memory amounts for base and multimedia show XXX MB and the NEXT button isn't enabled.

I see in the [link|news://news.ecomstation.nl/ecomstation.support.install|eCS Install Support] newsgroup that he's posted something else for me to try tonight when I get home.

Darrell Spice, Jr.

Another eCS install problem - (cestauffer) - (10)
         Tried creating boot floppies? - (SpiceWare) - (9)
             Re: Tried creating boot floppies? - (cestauffer) - (8)
                 Forgot an important item! - (SpiceWare) - (7)
                     Re: Forgot an important item! - (cestauffer) - (6)
                         Did you enable USB? - (SpiceWare) - (5)
                             Re: Did you enable USB? - (cestauffer) - (4)
                                 There are 2 sets of "boot floppies" - (SpiceWare) - (3)
                                     Any luck? -NT - (SpiceWare) - (2)
                                         Re: Any luck? - (cestauffer) - (1)
                                             Good - I'm still working on my thinkpad - (SpiceWare)

Bad command or filename.
64 ms