IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New "Tech Support" company iYogi sued by Washington
They are accused of running several tech support scams.

I and several of my clients have been approached by these (or similar) scammers, but I don't know of any that have suckered for the deal - they usually call me first.

The scammers make a phone call from India telling you that your computer is infected and try to get you to download their diagnostic software. They get pretty belligerent if you don't go along with the scam.

One of them, I asked for their company Web site. It looked pretty good, but was actually a copy of some other company's front page. Few of the menu items linked to anything.

Washington State Sues Firm, Alleges Tech Support Scam.
New Last time they called...
I played along for a while until we got to typing in the url, which I was supposed to type into the address bar. So...

Them: type in mypctechsupport.c0m in the browser

Me: Heyyy! It says mypctechsupport.c0m is a scam!
Them: What?! Where did you type that?
Me: In the Google internet box in the middle of the screen.
Them: No! no! no! no! no!

:-)

Edit: Ick! Didn't realize those domains would turn into real links :-/
Expand Edited by scoenye Dec. 17, 2015, 10:25:54 PM EST
New Genius. :-)
New I always either tell them I am with the FBI or treasury department and ask for a call back number
sometimes a dumbass will give me a supervisors number so I call and act like cop++ with a computer security background. Been hung up on by the best.
you can kill people for America at age 18 but need to be 21 to buy a beer
New Outstanding! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     "Tech Support" company iYogi sued by Washington - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
         Last time they called... - (scoenye) - (3)
             Genius. :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             I always either tell them I am with the FBI or treasury department and ask for a call back number - (boxley)
             Outstanding! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

He put himself inside your body. He bestowed his life force upon you.
40 ms