IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New In defense of Obama
I have been critical of the President over the years, but considering the hand he was dealt, I think he has done quite well.

1. The Affordable Care Act. It ain't singe payer and it is still a boon to the insurance industry, but more people are covered and the rate of health care inflation has gone down.

2. Fair Pay Act. It is an imperfect solution to a long term problem, but it is progress toward pay equity.

3. Dodd-Frank. Reimposed at least some regulation on Wall Street. It is not as strong as Glass-Steagall was but it reversed a bad trend in market oversight.

4. Defense of Marriage Act. President Obama ordered the AG to stop defending DOMA in 2010 ahead of SCOTUS challenge. DOMA overturned by the court.

5. Marriage equality. SG argued for equality in front of SCOTUS as part of Obergfell v. Hodges

5. Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed.

6. Ended guaranteed student loans in favor of direct student loans. The direct loans have much more favorable terms for students. I still think it is bullshit that student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy, but you can't have everything.

7. Raised fuel economy and emissions standards.

8. Invested in infrastructure as part of the Recovery Act.

9. Reduced the deficit from 9% of GDP to less than 3%.

10. Reduced unemployment from over 10% in the first quarter of his presidency to less than 6%.

11. Used an Executive order to protect undocumented children from deportation.

12. Reached an agreement to forestall nuclear weapon development in Iran.

13. Normalized relations with Cuba.

14. Protected net neutrality, for now.

BHO hasn't been perfect. I don't like the secret trade deals. I don't like that Gitmo is still open. I don't like that he hasn't ordered several dozen drone strikes on NRA headquarters.

Consider the alternatives.

President McCain would have put us another several trillion in the red fighting a pointless war in Iran. The pressure would have made him stroke out and we'd have been stuck with President Caribou Barbie.

President Rmoney would have put us another several trillion in the red cutting taxes for the 1% and then privatized social security. That said, I wish he were running this time. He is saner than any of the poo-flinging monkeys who will be standing on the debate stage this evening.

I am not thrilled with Hillary. I wanted to vote for Joe. I would be happy to vote foe Elizabeth Warren. I may vote for Bernie in the primary so I only have to vote for Hillary once. If Bernie is out by then, I may write in Jerry Brown, who would be a better president than anyone running in 2016.
New Agree in SPADES with Jerry.
I got interviewed with my infant daughter at a rally for Jerry in Fort Wayne, IN by the local tv station (my in-laws said it was repeated several times over the next few days on a variety of news programs). Part of my first job as a teenager in California gave me the opportunity to meet him. He has *always* been one of my few political heroes. I do not agree with him on everything, but I have never doubted that he has very considered opinions on everything - and that he is the brightest person I've ever met who was in any way involved in American politics. The sad tale of how Wall Street co-opted the Democratic Party in 1991 through their stooge Ron Brown sickens me to this day. Imagine how different America would be today if Jerry had won the Democratic nomination back then, and then the general. The Democratic Party lost its soul in 1992 and there is no hope for it. It is our Duma.
     Why Scott and Rand support Democrats no matter what. - (mmoffitt) - (20)
         And what is irrational about that? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (14)
             It's a dangerous false dichotomy. - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                 Voting for Hillary doesn't mean you have to vote for Charlotte - (Another Scott) - (10)
                     Re: Voting for Hillary - (boxley) - (2)
                         She's done a few other things in the last 20+ years. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             is this the same person who when being advized they were going to mumble NY for a meet n greet - (boxley)
                     OTOH - (scoenye) - (1)
                         True. But it's in place now, and it can (and will if we vote) be improved over time. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Re: Compare what Pelosi was able to do in 4 years ... - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         Public-Option argument #12341 - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             Maybe this will help. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                 It seems to be scare-mongering to me. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     The fact that these "adjustments" are on the table at all demonstrates Right-Shift in the DP. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 It's simple game theory. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     That's never been the case for me with political decisions. - (mmoffitt)
         Re: Why Scott and Rand support Democrats no matter what. - (rcareaga) - (4)
             The Democratic Party has done plenty to make me fear it. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 In defense of Obama - (gcareaga) - (1)
                     Agree in SPADES with Jerry. - (mmoffitt)
             One thing is very clear. - (Andrew Grygus)

A few slices of bread short of a loaf.
43 ms