IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Why it's good the "Steve Jobs" movie is tanking.
Apple may be the most successful corporation of all time. It recently reported a quarterly profit of $18 billion, the largest in history. Its record for technological innovation is unchallenged. It is the most admired brand in the world, according to the 2015 Interbrand Best Global Brands report. And its recent market-capital valuation at $765 billion (before dropping a bit) is the highest ever for any US company. Certainly, Jobs’s vision and Apple engineers’ execution made this possible. But two other factors have contributed mightily to Apple’s success: the unconscionable exploitation of the people who manufacture its products, and the company’s refusal to contribute even a fraction of its fair share in taxes.

We have known for years about the inhumane conditions under which Apple’s subcontractors in China and elsewhere are forced to work. Human-rights and labor-rights groups have addressed them, to be sure, but the issue didn’t gain traction in the mainstream media until 2011, when the performance artist Mike Daisey brought them to light in an amazing one-man show at the Public Theater in New York. Daisey­ was later proved to have played fast and loose with his facts, but The New York Times followed up in January 2012 with a multi-part investigation that demonstrated the larger truth of his charges. Apple was forced to respond and made a series of promises to improve. But many of these promises have been repeatedly broken or simply ignored. In December 2014, the BBC documentary series Panorama secretly filmed inside a number of Chinese facilities where employees of Pegatron and Foxconn were assembling the newest iPhones. As the documentary noted: “The team found Apple’s promises to protect workers were routinely broken. It found standards on workers’ hours, ID cards, dormitories, work meetings and juvenile workers were being breached.” The filmmakers also found tin from illegal digs in Indonesia in the phones, as well as children working in dangerous open-cast mines.

http://www.thenation.com/article/two-things-you-wont-learn-from-the-new-steve-jobs-film/
New And a reason the "Steve Jobs" movie is tanking.
They tried a trick to raise awareness, doing a small release before the big one.

Every review of that small release I saw had prominent quotes by people who knew or had worked with Jobs, sometimes in the headline. They all said the same thing, "This is nothing like the man I knew". Apparently they failed to portray him as the ego-maniacal asshole he was.

This turned out to not be the best awareness raising move they could have made.
New And yet more clay toes on the feet of the over-lauded Ones
..concerning how parasitic these moguls always are, to all those clever Lads in the Gummint.
New What's that got to do with Apple specifically?
Just about everyone makes their laptops in those factories.

Also, aren't wages in those factories significantly higher than the Chinese norm?

Also, aren't the suicide rates absolutely normal for a cohort of 20,000 (or whatever the exact figure is)?

Whilst you or I wouldn't want to work at FoxConn, for someone brought up in rural China, it's living the fucking dream.
New Because Apple software sucks?
Their hardware is not maintainable on my budget. My wife uses iTunes but relies on me to do her updating and management. It was clearly written by juvenile badgers indulging in fermenting fallen fruit. Their bonus must be derived on obnoxious user interaction. Suffice it that I'm not a fan. They won't miss me. meh...
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Also
Thought experiment: go pay US wages in China.

And see just how far the law of unintended consequences will take you.
New I hope to Christ you're trolling.
     Why it's good the "Steve Jobs" movie is tanking. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
         And a reason the "Steve Jobs" movie is tanking. - (Andrew Grygus)
         And yet more clay toes on the feet of the over-lauded Ones - (Ashton)
         What's that got to do with Apple specifically? - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Because Apple software sucks? - (hnick)
         Also - (pwhysall) - (1)
             I hope to Christ you're trolling. -NT - (mmoffitt)

Whosoever shall run XVGA, and cause it to display a multitude of hues, there shall the beaver soon make his home. Let it be written - let it be so.
176 ms