IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 3 active users | 4 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New how would the software know
when the car is undergoing emissions testing, compared to unusual activity during normal driving - jackrabbit starts, stomping on the gas to avoid a collision, slamming on the brakes to avoid a collision, etc?

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New It's plugged in
Serious question: When is the last time you had an emissions test, and how old was the car? Anything sold since 1996 has had the connector. They just plug you in and run the test - no tailpipe sniffer any more. I'm sure the computer knows when something is plugged in.
--

Drew
New Found another article.
VW aren't the only ones. Some manufacturers have their cars' ECU go into "emissions testing" mode when the non-driven set of wheels are stationary whilst it is apparently being driven.

Wade.
New Re: It's plugged in
Haven't been required to take an emissions test since I moved to the land of cowgirls over a decade ago.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New Re: how would the software know
Curiously enough, I spent a year and a half working on gadgets that plugged into OBDII ports and read trouble codes. The EPA tests are government mandated and and they are supposed to work in a specified manner so they are testable anywhere. The extra private test functions (eg. oil life remaining) are proprietary and can work any way the manufacturer wants. The OBDII protocol is polled; they can tell when it's plugged in to a tester. The conclusion is obvious. The germans have a LOT of proprietary tests and other functions.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
     VW post 2008 diesels had "defeat device" software to avoid emissions scrutiny. - (Another Scott) - (56)
         how would the software know - (lincoln) - (4)
             It's plugged in - (drook) - (2)
                 Found another article. - (static)
                 Re: It's plugged in - (lincoln)
             Re: how would the software know - (hnick)
         Wonder who ratted that one out... - (scoenye) - (2)
             Ouch. Seems the CARB had it figured out. - (Another Scott)
             I heard a similar story even further back. - (static)
         Reuters: VW could face $18B in fines. - (Another Scott) - (3)
             Are diesels even a good idea? - (drook) - (2)
                 Rolling back - (scoenye)
                 TANSTAAFL. - (Another Scott)
         years ago in alaska diesels were exempt from emissions testing - (boxley)
         It's all OK now. The CEO said he's sorry! - (a6l6e6x) - (20)
             As I read it, the $37,500 is per day of non-compliance, not per car. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 Of course, the stories explicitly say per car, so ... :-/ - (Another Scott) - (1)
                     Yah, what he said! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             I think it's absurd to imagine that such a plan could possibly be implemented - (Ashton) - (15)
                 is it? - (boxley) - (14)
                     And is your "retired petro chemist" a Tea Party member? - (lincoln) - (5)
                         no, catholic liberal -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                             I've never met a liberal - (lincoln) - (3)
                                 your loss -NT - (boxley)
                                 You claim to be a "liberal" and yet support a Nixon created entity? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Hey, even crooks can do something good - (lincoln)
                     Doesn't smell right. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                         dunno about smell but sulpher burns hot, take it out harder to burn -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                             Not the way it works. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                 kinda makes my point, regulators make the cars run like crap, what the retired guy said -NT - (boxley) - (4)
                                     Um, modern diesels are great compared to, say, a 1980 Rabbit diesel. - (Another Scott)
                                     Burning point is no criterion for use in a Diesel engine - (scoenye) - (2)
                                         Neat stuff. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                         very nice -NT - (boxley)
             The CEO is really sorry now! - (a6l6e6x)
         The problem is world wide -- 11 M vehicles. - (a6l6e6x)
         I'm convinced there's a joke in there ... - (mmoffitt)
         Here's how they caught them - (malraux) - (4)
             Good find! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             What I cannot parse at all, though.. - (Ashton)
             Interesting reason - (scoenye)
             Maybe the EPA will update their tests, too. - (static)
         What I was thinking, in more detail - (drook) - (1)
             one piece has been around a few years - (boxley)
         We're gonna need a bigger probe - (scoenye) - (1)
             Interesting. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Four more carmakers join emissions rigging list - (lincoln) - (5)
             Not the same thing - (malraux) - (4)
                 Should it? - (drook) - (3)
                     Point being: - (malraux) - (2)
                         Your first two paragraphs, 100% agree, it's the third I question - (drook) - (1)
                             From what I remember, the test is that bad. - (malraux)
         There, fixed. - (scoenye) - (4)
             Interesting. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                 The test was going to change in 2017 - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Ah. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
             BBC has you covered. - (a6l6e6x)

Impossible.
77 ms