IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New AP: Samsung S6 edge+ and Note 5 aggressively throttle background tasks.
Android Police:

While the Note 5 and S6 edge+ are far from the first Samsung phones with reported issues killing background tasks with unusual aggressiveness, they are the first ones with four freaking gigabytes of RAM to do so. We've long assumed that Samsung's background task issues on certain handsets are related to a lack of RAM headroom due to TouchWiz, and yet, the Note 5 and S6 edge+ may exhibit the most aggravating task killing of any Samsung devices we've yet seen.

[...]

Compared to a Nexus 6 opening the same apps in the same way after a handful of intervening loads of different apps, the S6 edge+ in our video here almost always reloads the background app more slowly. Differences in load times range from a fraction of a second in apps like Twitter to several seconds in apps like Yelp, Uber, and Chrome. Such a thing is clearly detrimental to overall user experience, no matter how you slice it. Sometimes this results in other annoyances, too, like reflows that send you to the incorrect scroll point in a given application. Basically, it's not pretty - when a Nexus 6 with less and slower RAM, a slower processor, and slower storage is easily pulling up background tasks more quickly and reliably than the substantially more powerful S6 edge+, you know something weird is going on.

It's things like this that make me very nervous about spending $600+ on a flagship phone. Presumably Samsung could change this behavior if they wanted, but one is at their mercy (as always).

Cheers,
Scott.
New There is no single Android
Anyone who says "Android this" or "Android that" is conveniently ignoring this face. Any one particular Android phone is a conglomeration of Google code, handset manufacturer code, and carrier code. Unless you root the phone and install Cyanogen, you're running something that is Androidish only.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New I think the problem is that it's a Samsung.
They are beginning to look like the Apple of Android-based smartphones. "The great thing about this Samsung Edge is that it's made by Samsung. Unfortunately, it's made by Samsung."

Currently, I definitely prefer how Sony do Android smartphones.

Wade.
     AP: Samsung S6 edge+ and Note 5 aggressively throttle background tasks. - (Another Scott) - (2)
         There is no single Android - (malraux)
         I think the problem is that it's a Samsung. - (static)

Penguin : <Bird, FurBearing, Swimmer, LandDweller, Diurnal>
31 ms