IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This is Microsoft more than HR
It has nothing to do with spying. The latter versions of Exchange come with the policy to demand the device management permissions enabled by default. Depending on who & what, it may not be even be clear the policy is in effect. e.g. we use Office 365 for students and the admin can not turn the damn thing off.

If IT then has a policy to delete AD accounts instead of archiving them, you get the effect described.

(Plus, you only get to see that demand on Android. iOS silently grants it when the account is attached.)

New It's not a technical issue
It's a management and workplace issue.

BYOD means you give your employer the right to wipe or hard lock your phone, whenever they like, for any reason. Prior to agreeing to this would be an excellent time to read the fine print in your contract, especially the clauses relating to BYOD.

TBH, if I ever encounter BYOD, I will use the allowance to fund a basic (and, let's face it, even a basic smartphone does all the phone/email/calendaring/IM you could ever want) phone for work, and continue to maintain a separate personal device.
New Agreed on that, but it is not spying.
New Aye, no argument there.
New But could they?
I'll admit I installed the management software because I just can't be bothered carrying two phones. I'm not worried about privacy because I'm not the kind of person who puts things on the internet I don't want people to know. (Yes, I know the contents of my address book are valuable to spammers; I'm talking about what someone at work would care about.)

The current story is talking about your phone being wiped. But could they monitor if they wanted to, technically and according to the terms I (probably) agreed to?
--

Drew
New Not according to the device administrator API
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/admin/device-admin.html

Besides allowing the remote wipe, it primarily enforces corporate password policies.

Now, if they make you install anything else...
New Android Admin.
My Xperia came with an app for connecting to Exchange and when you start it up comes up with this big scary warning about being Admin. I don't need it, fortunately. But it took some Googling to figure out what it was and why it wanted that!

There's also a clever Android app from Google that creates a second user profile on the Android phone. One is yours, and the other is for hooking up to a corporate account. It means if corporate has to remotely wipe the device, it only wipes that second profile.

Wade.
New Got a link to that two profiles app?
--

Drew
New I think it's this one.
Google Apps Device Policy

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.enterprise.dmagent

It would've worked well for us because we had shifted to Google Apps for email, calendaring and document sharing, which is what it's designed to support.

Wade.
New OK, wouldn't work for me
Looks like that's the "official" Google Apps tool for remote administration. It wouldn't surprise me that they would build in the ability to do multiple profiles, but that the tools other companies use would just wipe the whole thing.
--

Drew
New How does that work?
Remote wipe is all outta fucks when it comes to profiles - it just blanks the whole thing.
New Re: second account.
Crackberrys provide partitioned areas to accomplish the same thing. Increasingly I'm of the view that Blackberry makes the 21st century equivalent of betamax.
     How HR spies on you, even when you're not at work - (lincoln) - (12)
         This is Microsoft more than HR - (scoenye) - (11)
             It's not a technical issue - (pwhysall) - (4)
                 Agreed on that, but it is not spying. -NT - (scoenye) - (3)
                     Aye, no argument there. -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         But could they? - (drook) - (1)
                             Not according to the device administrator API - (scoenye)
             Android Admin. - (static) - (5)
                 Got a link to that two profiles app? -NT - (drook) - (2)
                     I think it's this one. - (static) - (1)
                         OK, wouldn't work for me - (drook)
                 How does that work? - (pwhysall)
                 Re: second account. - (mmoffitt)

To boldly go where no LRPD has gone before.
150 ms