1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Based on what?
--

Drew
New If you bet against your own people
what does that say about your confidence in them, not to mention that you're the guy in charge who can make whatever moves necessary to help ensure they lose and you win the bet?

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New never mind, you withdrew the assertion below
I don't recall anyone of accusing him of betting against his team.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
Expand Edited by boxley July 16, 2015, 12:00:40 PM EDT
New Guy who wrote the Dowd Report said it
that's what I remembered:

In December 2002, Dowd told the New York Post that he had reliable evidence that Rose bet against his team but didn't include it in his 225-page report because of time constraints. He later backed off of those statements. "I was never able to tie it down," Dowd said. "It was unreliable, and that's why I didn't include it in the report. I probably shouldn't have said it. I was not trying to start something here."

http://seanlahman.com/files/rose/rose-faq.html

Then again, this is as close to betting against your team as you can come without actually doing so:

According to the Dowd report, which included a diary of bets that Rose made on Reds games and many others — it listed bets on 390 games over all, 52 of them involving the Reds, in a three-month period in 1987 — Rose developed a consistency of not betting on certain contests.

In particular, Rose stopped betting on Reds games that Gullickson started. If Rose bet on his team to win other games but didn’t bet on Gullickson’s games, he was sending a signal to the bookies he was betting with that he, as manager of the team, didn’t think much of his team’s chances in those games.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/16/sports/baseball/16chass.html?_r=0

Not betting on your team to win when a certain pitcher is starting is damn near the same thing as betting against your team when that guy is pitching, especially when you're betting on the Reds to win almost every other game.

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
     Trump:" Put Pete Rose in Hall of Fame" - (lincoln) - (20)
         cheater? he gambled, not threw games -NT - (boxley)
         Wrong - (crazy) - (18)
             And he did it while he was the manager - (lincoln) - (17)
                 That was his job - (crazy) - (16)
                     Yup - (drook) - (5)
                         Presumably there was a point spread? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             ^ What he said. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             no spread in baseball - (boxley) - (1)
                                 Wouldn't make sense - (drook)
                             "Bet-at-home.com" advertises on tennis matches... - (Another Scott)
                     He probably also bet against them at times - (lincoln) - (9)
                         Based on what? -NT - (drook) - (3)
                             If you bet against your own people - (lincoln) - (2)
                                 never mind, you withdrew the assertion below - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Guy who wrote the Dowd Report said it - (lincoln)
                         Just like you probably beat your *****? - (crazy) - (4)
                             Re: Just like you probably beat your *****? - (lincoln) - (3)
                                 Reading the entrails - (drook)
                                 And I accept this is a good point - (crazy) - (1)
                                     You didn't prove my point wrong - (lincoln)

Doh! Wrong button, Scott!
66 ms