IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Hybrid Infrared Video Camera Can See Through Clothes
[link|http://abcnews.go.com/sections/GMA/popoff/DailyNews/010807vision_video_popoff/index.html|(link)]

A new aspect of the privacy issue, and one likely to force a debate on the ubiquity of cameras.
New Nah
More likely to spark a debate on what underwear is hot this season.

;)
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New Actually, it's a camcorder
and I happen to own one of the original Sonys with the night vision feature that works in the daylight w/o mods. However, I don't have the IR filter so I can't give any personal stories.

Photonics Spectra covered the issue in more technical detail back when it first broke in 1998, although I couldn't find a link to the article on their web site.

Tony
New Re: I remember the controversy well

In Japan Sony was supposed to have modified the cameras to prevent this occuring. It seems that the 'night vision' feature picked up either heat or ultraviolet reflection (can't recall which). The temperature of certain clothing materials meant that they didn't get 'seen'.

On another web site in Japan in 1999, they offered a special lens that was supposed to expand the range of reflection such that certain types of material appeared no to be there. It was all to do with the wave-length of the light or the heat radiated. These lenses were ridiculously expensive but I guess they believed there was a global market.

My bet would be they might have sold zillions of them in Japan, and most parts of Arabia.

Cheers

Doug M
New IR sensitive
What I recall:
-- Most CCD's have some IR sensitivity.
-- The Sony comes with a IR light so you can "light up" an area at night with the IR light
-- And supposedly a standard IR filter (that filter out non-IR light) helps a lot.

Finally, there was a big scare in Hong Kong, IIRC -- with women not likely ANYONE with a camcorder (IIRC there some camcorders were smashed).

Tony
     Hybrid Infrared Video Camera Can See Through Clothes - (deSitter) - (4)
         Nah - (pwhysall)
         Actually, it's a camcorder - (tonytib) - (2)
             Re: I remember the controversy well - (dmarker) - (1)
                 IR sensitive - (tonytib)

I finally caught it when it tried to drink from my used bong and fell in.
60 ms