Since deeply-embedded-racism is a disease of personal philosophy--it's Here....
"White America is 'reveling in a specious hope that what your ancestors did doesn't matter'"

[. . .]

Coates is seen by many as the intellectual heir to James Baldwin. Toni Morrison wrote of “Between the World and Me” that “I’ve been wondering who might fill the intellectual void that plagued me after James Baldwin died” and “cleary, it is Ta-Nehisi Coates.” The comparison is apt, as Coates recounted reading Baldwin’s “The Fire Next Time” as he prepared to meet the president for the second time.

He recalled being stunned by how elegantly Obama was handling the room full of white reporters. “The race aspect is not gone from this,” he said. “To see a black dude in a room of the smartest white people and just be the smartest dude in the room — it just puts into context all the stuff about ‘Let me see his grades.’” At the end of that meeting, Coates recalled, the president even pulled him aside and told him that a blog post he had written criticizing him had been unfair.

That Obama would consider a blog post by Coates worthy of responding is less strange to Coates than the idea that white people engage with his work. “When people who are not black are interested in what I do, frankly, I’m always surprised,” he said. “I don’t know if it’s my low expectations for white people or what.”

[. . .]
Yeah, been "with" that sentiment re TNC and his whitey fans/including moi: that he remains surprised ... seems to vindicate both his and my own query about the phenom. It can be only Good [for.. and about..] both, that they appear to be cohorts on a non-trivial level.
I can agree, at least, that choosing to be puzzled.. beats out the internal judgments I have re BHO's seeming inchoate 'valuez', as in his recycling so very-much of the neoconman policies of the depraved regime he was supposed to 'best'/also Correct. (His wife may not be privy to reasons behind his locked-down, uncommunicative supporting regime, or even, if--given sufficient info--they make any sense to her. Either.)

So why should I expect to accurately limn the fluff-factor in all since '08? Will kick that can down the road of next-Actions (too), right up to.. Last-day with the Bagman codes. Because: It's All Theatre!

Ed: PS he's also on Fresh Air today; an hour of voice, speaking as he writes: clearly.