IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I thought the "landing" had failed
The landing did fail in a way. It bounced around and thought to have finally rested in some shaded ravine. So, the solar panels couldn't do much after the batteries ran low.

They're still to pin down its exact location.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Anyone seen a calculation of spin rate to gravity?
The gravity for that rock is pretty small. It wouldn't take much spin for centripetal force to throw off anything that isn't nailed down. Does anyone know how fast it's spinning, and how much margin for error there is before things fly apart?
--

Drew
New A presentation on the landing calculations.
http://www.simpack.com/fileadmin/simpack/doc/usermeeting04/um04_maxplanck_hilch.pdf (33 page .pdf). See p.16.

Simulated Comet gravity = 5E-4 m/s^2 (vs 9.8 m/s^2 for Earth).

It's tiny. They were planning on using a harpoon to stay tied down, but the comet was harder than they expected (or something).

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The harpoons and the landing thruster did not fire.
New Ah. Well, that would cause problems. :-( Thanks!
New That's a whale of a problem. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     It's alive, it's alive! - (a6l6e6x) - (8)
         I thought the "landing" had failed - (drook) - (6)
             Re: I thought the "landing" had failed - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                 Anyone seen a calculation of spin rate to gravity? - (drook) - (4)
                     A presentation on the landing calculations. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                         The harpoons and the landing thruster did not fire. -NT - (scoenye) - (2)
                             Ah. Well, that would cause problems. :-( Thanks! -NT - (Another Scott)
                             That's a whale of a problem. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Whatever the designers clearly finessed across the overall package.. - (Ashton)

Boy, isn't that true about damn near any subject?
74 ms