IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New very true
http://www.splcenter.org/hate-map notice the swath of numbers starting in Illinois east to ny, gaze at the awe that is ohio. Now another anomaly, where do all the nasty racist yankees retire to? Florida of course and they bring their garbage with them.
Cali is pretty busy as well, but we knew that, watts where you couldn't walk onto alameda street unless you were white. Now look at the southern tier mississippi to georgia. Still a lot, almost 1/2 of the yankee states.

I knew you grew up in marrietta but unfortunately you equated the racists you met there with being southern instead of racists.

Lot more hate of colored folk north of the mason dixon than south.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Number of hate groups.
Normalize it for population and then see what the map looks like.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New pensylvania is much more racist than georgia
best I can figure out is that they all share a water border with canada
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New lets try different map
New A story about that...
https://storify.com/cbccommunity/twitter-hate-map

The data on the graph is scaled by population.

Also...

Many tweets - and mainstream news reports - focused on particular state and cities.

But Stephens says the map actually shows that use of the slurs is evenly spread across the country, although it is more common in smaller cities and towns that are less racially integrated.

"Racial discrimination and sexual discrimination are quite well dispersed through the United States. We can see it in every pocket of small towns nationally. That's quite a disturbing trend," she said.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Northern Michigan doesn't surprise me.
Most of the hate is in the "heartland", in the flyover states. I'm a bit surprised at the western plains, although Idaho is about where I'd expect to see it.
Regards,
-scott
New real bad accross the plains
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/05/11/video-woman-posts-profane-anti-native-rant-gets-fired-160324\edit found the other one I was looking for
http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2015/05/30/man-who-hurled-beer-racial-slurs-native-american-kids-will-not-face-jail-time-judge-says no, he is not southern
In north dakota at the walmart I always look for a somali cashier because she will always be open with 10 and 12 person lines behind the white cashiers
Expand Edited by boxley June 2, 2015, 10:32:34 AM EDT
New It may be that they just do not tweet.
Regards,
-scott
New That, too.
Also, the survey was of 100,000 Tweets - a drop in the bucket that must have some selection bias issues (even if unintentional).

9319 tweets/s at the moment

Cheers,
Scott.
New Interesting, but not really contradicting my point.
Of course people move around.

http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/bitstream/handle/2027.42/92155/InsultAggressionAndTheSouthernCulture.pdf (16 page .pdf) is a good paper on some aspects of "Southern Culture" that are pathological in the present day, and can be found anywhere in the US. It's a state of mind, not a geography.

There are some beautiful, sweet people in the South; there are some beautiful, sweet people in the North. As I'm sure you know.

I finally read the WaPo story. ;-) It's interesting, but it's not that unusual. Churches grow and die like any organization. Mosques in the US aren't that uncommon any more, either.

I pass this place at least once every year on my trip(s) to Ohio. Central Ohio isn't usually thought of as having enough Muslims to need a mosque. ;-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New see footnote 1
New We're talking past each other... "The South isn't Geography."
New "The South isn't Geography." so you admit to your prejuidice? thank you :-)
every bad thing in america is not attributable to the "south" that is your personal belief system, not a fact.
New We'd do better in this conversation if you didn't try to read my mind.
(I'm having problems parsing your last post.)

That PDF I posted made lots of good points about views of "honor" and the "need to take revenge". And where those attitudes came from. And how they found fertile soil in the American South (and West).

The KKK was big in Indiana and elsewhere that wasn't in the South. It's hard to argue, though, that the KKK isn't intimately tied up with "Southern Culture". E.g.:

Perhaps the first such pro-Klan literary work was James D. Lynch’s epic poem Redpath, or, the Ku Klux Tribunal (1877). Lynch was a Mississippi lawyer who had become a prominent and vocal opponent of Reconstruction, and as Democrats retook the South he turned his attention to literary efforts, first in the epic poem Robert E. Lee, or, Heroes of the South (1876) and then in Redpath. What is most striking about Redpath is its titular hero, a northern political aide who travels to the South on a fact-finding mission for a prosecution of the KKK and who converts to the cause when he learns instead of what the poem insists are the organization’s necessary and heroic activities. To aid in similar national conversions, Lynch went on to write a prominent anti-Reconstruction, pro-KKK history of his home state, Kemper County Vindicated, and a Peep at Radical Rule in Mississippi (1879). And by the early 1890s, the nation had indeed seemingly converted, as illustrated by the choice of Lynch to compose the official welcoming poem for the 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

In the same decade, Thomas W. Dixon Jr., himself a North Carolina lawyer as well as an ordained Baptist minister and the son and nephew of prominent former KKK leaders, developed a plan to create his own literary depictions of the Klan and the Reconstruction South. Inspired in part, he later claimed, by the “misrepresentations” of southerners in a dramatic production of Uncle Tom’s Cabin, Dixon wrote The Leopard’s Spots (1902), the first in a trilogy of historical novels about Reconstruction that would also include The Clansman (1905) and The Traitor (1907). The novels became national bestsellers. Dixon became a celebrity, starring on stage in a dramatic production of his book The Sins of the Father: A Romance of the South (1910-1911) and writing the screenplay for one of the first blockbuster motion pictures, D. W. Griffith’s Birth of a Nation (1915).

Woodrow Wilson did a lot to segregate the Federal Government even though he was President of Princeton University and Governor of New Jersey (though he was born in Virginia - how about that).

So those aspects of "Southern Culture" can be found anywhere in the US (and elsewhere). But it's the South that still celebrates people like Robert E. Lee and their treasonous "honor" and so forth - not the North.

So, again, racism and all sort of vile characteristics of Americans can be found anywhere. And good people can be found in the South and anywhere. But lots of pathologies of "Southern Culture" can be found anywhere, too.

I think I'm about done. :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New uh no
a while back I mentioned some egregious racism in ohio. Your response was that it was transplanted Kentuckians. After pointing out that they were home grown ohioans you then explained it was a kentukianism infection.

Sorry the evil racists deeds of native yankees cannot be laid at the feet of dead southerners 100+ years in the past.
The new jersey boy who moved to south carolina to work as a cop so he could shoot unarmed blacks in the back is finding out that it doesnt work that way.

The cops that choked the black man to death for selling single cigarettes wasn't from the south he was home grown. If you look at who is shooting who, it is the southern states that are investigating and charging where necessary.

In the northern states, jumping out of a car and shooting a 12 yo kid in seconds is considered justified.

his ass would be in jail down here.

New Yeahbut...
We're saying similar things with different emphasis.

From the SPLC:

A History of Protecting Society’s Most Vulnerable

The Southern Poverty Law Center was founded to ensure that the promises of the civil rights movement became a reality for all.

By the late 1960s, the civil rights movement had ushered in the promise of racial equality as new laws ended legal apartheid in the United States. But the new laws had not yet brought the fundamental changes needed in the South.

Black people were still excluded from good jobs, decent housing, elective office, a quality education and a range of other opportunities. There were few places for the disenfranchised and the poor to turn for justice. Enthusiasm for the civil rights movement had waned and few lawyers in the South were willing to take controversial cases to test new civil rights laws.

Alabama lawyer and businessman Morris Dees sympathized with the plight of the poor and the powerless. The son of an Alabama farmer, he had witnessed firsthand the painful consequences of prejudice and racial injustice. Dees decided to sell his successful book publishing business to start a civil rights law practice that would provide a voice for the disenfranchised.

His decision led to the founding of the Southern Poverty Law Center.

“I had made up my mind,” Dees wrote in his autobiography, A Season for Justice. “I would sell the company as soon as possible and specialize in civil rights law. All the things in my life that had brought me to this point, all the pulls and tugs of my conscience, found a singular peace. It did not matter what my neighbors would think, or the judges, the bankers, or even my relatives.”

Dees joined forces with another young Montgomery lawyer, Joe Levin. They took pro bono cases few others were willing to pursue - the outcome of which had far-reaching effects. Some of their early lawsuits resulted in the desegregation of recreational facilities, the reapportionment of the Alabama Legislature, the integration of the Alabama State Troopers and reforms in the state prison system.

The lawyers formally incorporated the Southern Poverty Law Center in 1971, and civil rights activist Julian Bond was named the first president. Dees and Levin began seeking nationwide support for their work. Committed activists responded from across the country, and the SPLC carried forward its mission of seeking justice and equality for society’s most vulnerable.

In the decades since its founding, the SPLC has shut down some of the nation’s most dangerous hate groups by winning crushing, multimillion-dollar jury verdicts on behalf of their victims. It has dismantled institutional racism in the South, reformed juvenile justice practices, shattered barriers to equality for women, children and the disabled, and protected low-wage immigrant workers from abuse. It also has reached out to the next generation with Teaching Tolerance, a program that provides educators with free classroom materials that teach students the value of tolerance and diversity.

As the country has grown increasingly diverse, the SPLC’s work has only become more vital. And its history is evidence of an unwavering resolve to promote and protect our nation’s most cherished ideals by standing up for those who have no other champions.

They were founded to address a need in the South. That doesn't mean the need goes away when one crosses the Ohio River. Because as you, and I, have said, the ideas aren't restricted by geography.

Your Ohio thread is there. I don't think I would change anything I said there.

FWIW.

Cheers,
Scott.

deep south and religion - (boxley) - (31)
         "Deep South"? Tennessee ain't the deep south and you know it. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (30)
             nashville certainly is -NT - (boxley) - (29)
                 What are you talkin' about, boy? - (mmoffitt) - (28)
                     add tenessee to that list, hillbillies count -NT - (boxley) - (27)
                         How can a state with a border within 60 miles of Illinois be considered "Deep South"? Ain't buyin it -NT - (mmoffitt) - (26)
                             My sister lives there. - (malraux) - (25)
                                 Sure. It's still "The South". - (mmoffitt) - (24)
                                     you are just trying to drive a wedge between hillfolk and flatlanders -NT - (boxley)
                                     "The South" isn't geography. It's a state of mind. - (Another Scott) - (22)
                                         nope, those are yankee racists, -NT - (boxley) - (17)
                                             Ye shall know them by their fruits. -NT - (Another Scott) - (16)
                                                 very true - (boxley) - (15)
                                                     Number of hate groups. - (malraux) - (7)
                                                         pensylvania is much more racist than georgia - (boxley) - (6)
                                                             lets try different map - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                 A story about that... - (Another Scott)
                                                                 Northern Michigan doesn't surprise me. - (malraux) - (3)
                                                                     real bad accross the plains - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                         It may be that they just do not tweet. -NT - (malraux) - (1)
                                                                             That, too. - (Another Scott)
                                                     Interesting, but not really contradicting my point. - (Another Scott) - (6)
                                                         see footnote 1 -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                                             We're talking past each other... "The South isn't Geography." -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
                                                                 "The South isn't Geography." so you admit to your prejuidice? thank you :-) - (boxley) - (3)
                                                                     We'd do better in this conversation if you didn't try to read my mind. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                         uh no - (boxley) - (1)
                                                                             Yeahbut... - (Another Scott)
                                         There it is. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                             I lived outside of Atlanta for much of my childhood... -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 Yankee is a state of mind, too. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     heh. Touche'. -NT - (Another Scott)

Considering that all you're risking is the $15 co-payment, there's no harm in giving him a shot at it.
149 ms