IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: all your stuff belongs to the government

What secret from Denny Hastert’s past was so potentially damaging that federal prosecutors say the former U.S. Speaker of the House agreed to pay an individual $3.5 million to keep it concealed?

At this point, all we have are a few clues left by prosecutors pointing to unspecified “prior misconduct” by Hastert, possibly dating all the way back to his tenure as teacher and coach at Yorkville High School from 1965 to 1981, which was conspicuously mentioned in the first sentence of his indictment.

During that period, Hastert was the school’s celebrated wrestling coach.

The individual who was paid $1.7 million in installments by Hastert after confronting him in 2010 is described only as someone who has been a Yorkville resident and has known Hastert most of the individual’s life. The indictment says the misconduct occurred “years earlier.”

I think we can all make reasonable guesses about what that misconduct probably involves, although I don’t see any point in me speculating about it more specifically in print at this point.

As so often is the case, it wasn’t that original misconduct that tripped up Hastert anyway. It was the alleged cover-up.

Hastert’s mistake, as laid out in his indictment, was to make a series of large cash withdrawals in amounts just under $10,000 to avoid triggering a federal report that banks must file with the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. This behavior drew the attention of the FBI and IRS because it can constitute a crime that the feds call “structuring.”

Then Hastert allegedly compounded his predicament by lying to the FBI agents who questioned him about it.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/politics/7/71/644567/brown-column-18

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain, "Pudd'nhead Wilson's New Calendar" 1897
New yup, no sending it to the caymans, paying for dope shipments or stolen goods
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
Expand Edited by boxley May 29, 2015, 02:26:36 PM EDT
     all your stuff belongs to the government - (boxley) - (14)
         There are banking regulations. Film at 11. - (Another Scott) - (11)
             government will steal yer stuff, film at 11 -NT - (boxley) - (10)
                 If you don't want to follow banking rules, then don't use a bank. Problem solved. -NT - (Another Scott) - (9)
                     he wasnt using a bank, he was removing his stuff from a bank - (boxley) - (8)
                         Um, having money in a bank and withdrawing it is using a bank. -NT - (Another Scott) - (7)
                             Curiously,I'm with Box on this - (hnick) - (6)
                                 Meh. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                     no money laundering here, so because "law" not "crime" -NT - (boxley)
                                     oh bs - (crazy) - (3)
                                         on the other hand - (crazy) - (2)
                                             well the comments are fun - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 a bit more detail - (crazy)
         Re: all your stuff belongs to the government - (lincoln) - (1)
             yup, no sending it to the caymans, paying for dope shipments or stolen goods -NT - (boxley)

Coo coo ca-choo!
39 ms