IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New amusing day at BDS
Someone got through the network spam filter (I think the sender is actually "legitimately" IBM), and so far a few thousand clueless employees here have replied "take me off your mailing list" by means of "Reply All," thereby compounding the problem. I've already deleted over 4K related messages, and more are piling up. I don't call the outfit BDS for nothing!

mirthfully,
New ex-Cisco staffers?
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/23/reply_all_email_storm_strikes_twice_at_cisco/

They've been known to do that every once in a while. Although their damage was self-inflicted...
New Pretty sure I've shared this before ...
When I was in the Marines we used a Banyan Vines network. My email was drewkime@RSCleveland@4MCD@MCRC You could wildcard any level, so for instance *@RSCleveland@4MCD@MCRC would go to my entire office. *@*@4MCD@MCRC would go to the entire District, etc.

One year for the Marine Corps Birthday some motivated young PFC decided to send birthday greetings to *@*@*@*

Banyan Vines at the time had vacation messages, but didn't yet prevent responding to the same address over and over, and didn't recognize when the thing it was responding to was itself a vacation message.

The next day, after they had shut down the entire Marine Corps network and restarted it several times, he didn't have email access any more.
--

Drew
New Oh that's excellent.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Heh. I remember that feature.
I also remember when we disabled wildcard sending as soon as it was available!

I loved how scalable Vines was. Pity they got swamped by Microsoft networking, although a lot of that was their own fault, too.

Wade.
New Banyan Vines!
Man, it was a VERY long time ago when I used that.
New Back in the day...
We had a 60 server VINES network run by two administrators, plus the PC support team (about 8 people) who did general PC support as well as network support. We could have doubled our server count without needing any more administrators.

At one point we got bought by another company who used MS LAN Manager and MS Mail. They wanted to migrate us to their MS Mail system and could not get their head around the fact we didn't have or need dedicated email administrators. The senior network admin wanted to take a month off work just to watch them try to migrate us. :-)

Wade.
New Yep
Drook is really, really old.
     amusing day at BDS - (rcareaga) - (7)
         ex-Cisco staffers? - (scoenye)
         Pretty sure I've shared this before ... - (drook) - (5)
             Oh that's excellent. -NT - (malraux)
             Heh. I remember that feature. - (static)
             Banyan Vines! - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Back in the day... - (static)
                 Yep - (pwhysall)

I wanted to request installing a suggestion box at work, but I had no way of doing it.
101 ms