As you know, Ferguson, MO made the international headlines due to the shooting of Mike Brown on August 9th. Ever since then, living in the area has been fraught with tension, unpredictable, and a huge challenge at times.

I grew up in the Ferguson area, and my mom still lives on the edge of it. Even though I'm 6 miles away from the site of the incident now, it has had a huge impact on our lives.

Protests and blockades were a common thing, so I was glad that I had gotten on Twitter for the Yahoo Crusade. I used my Twitter account to follow the local and out of town reporters to know where things were happening at all times. I couldn't get Mom to move even temporarily, so I simply kept track of where things were happening around her.

Businesses that myself and my family had frequented were boarded up initially, and many of them burned down in November. I was so relieved that the night when Ferguson burned, my mom had broken her hip and was away from the area and thus safe. My brother joked with her at the ER the night she fell, that we had wanted her away from Ferguson, but this wasn't what we had in mind.

I can't describe the shock and sadness I had sitting here that night watching the buildings burn to the ground. Buildings where I had grown up, been to, and were a part of my life. It was almost surreal. I can't even handle driving around that part of the area, the closest I'll get is to the burnt out Family Dollar store near my mom, and it saddens me every time I see it.

I created a real bond with many reporters on Twitter though, and when it all started at first, I actually helped tweet many of the local and out-of town media to safety because I knew the area, and could tell them what streets to flee to. I also had only network TV, so unlike cable, it broke in and told me what was going on. I relayed that info via twitter, i.e. "gunshots fired at Reds BBQ" and the reporters took cover.

Even though it has settled down some, it's still a high anxiety situation. The recent shooting of two police officers the night the DOJ report was released, was yet another firing up of the situation. I am so sorry that the African American community has been treated so badly for so long, but I hope they realize that burning down the buildings won't help.

Many businesses have given up and don't plan to rebuild at all, so that is causing a huge burden on the city. I want them to protest and stand up for change. I just want them to learn that violence won't get them there. In the meantime, I monitor whatever protests or road blockages are going on, and continue to drive into the area to get Mom or see Mom when I need to.

And I just do my best to stay safe. :)

Brenda