IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview
On my main PC!

Exciting!
New Hope you survive with sanity intact. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New I did!
Easiest install ever. There's a little round of "Are you sure?" "Really?" "Are you REALLY sure?" but after that it's totally hands-off.

Everything works - it's even using my fancy-pants NVidia GeForce Experience Wossname graphics driver, all my software (Office 2013, PS, LR, etc) and games work fine.

It's obviously a bit choppier than Windows 8.1 - there's debug code all over the place, and the feedback doodad has been instrumented into everything (you'll do something and it'll pop up asking you how it went, which is cool). These things will obviously disappear for the RTM version.

Not massively sold on the new Start menu, but I can make it work like the Start screen, so that's good. I really do like the new icon set. Very fresh. It's not complete - there are still Windows 7-style icons everywhere, especially in toolbars, but again, this is a technical preview.
New Free is good.
If they can make money in some unobtrusive way to support timely updates, etc.

Motley Fool.

I haven't seen anything about corporate licenses - presumably MS will still make money on those, somehow.

I haven't used 8.x (and have no desire to do so). This shot of 10 makes me wonder what they're thinking. The tiny, thin text coupled with the giant icons/button/tiles. A UI that is supposed to work on a 4" phone screen isn't going to look or work right on a 30" monitor. They should quit trying to convince everyone that they're "the same".

:-/

MS broke a bunch of things about the UI years ago and seemingly still haven't figured out their mistakes. For example, it used to be clear what was a "button" that was clicked once, and what was an "icon" that needed to be clicked twice. These days, that distinction seems to be gone in too many places. Some things you click once, some you click twice, but the visual distinction has been lost. (Of course, they've got underlying code that seems to figure it out eventually.)

So, a big "meh" from me so far.

Here's hoping its not a disaster (as I'll probably have to use it eventually), but ...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Make money?
Off retail Windows?

Never have, never will. All that's changing is that MS aren't lying to themselves about it any more.

Windows licencing revenue is all from OEMs and enterprise.

Windows 8 works great. It's fast, reliable, light-weight (seriously; it runs well on dual-core machines with 2GB RAM) and secure.

Windows 10 is greaterer.

Don't look at screenshots. Grab the tech preview and throw it up on a VM and make up your own mind by using it. Screenshots tell you nothing.

There's little point crying over the spilt milk of buttons and icons that don't look like buttons and icons any more - the entire industry has moved in that direction (most egregious offenders are Apple in iOS >= 7 and OS X 10.10+, but Google's Material Design and Microsoft's Modern do the exact same thing, to varying degrees).

That said, can you give an example of this?

"it used to be clear what was a "button" that was clicked once, and what was an "icon" that needed to be clicked twice. These days, that distinction seems to be gone in too many places. Some things you click once, some you click twice, but the visual distinction has been lost"

What places?

It's very, very easy to conflate personal preference and habit with actually identifying broken UIs. The Ribbon is a classic example of this. There's actual science - collected from millions of users performing hundreds of millions of actions - that shows that it makes most user's lives better. But those people don't go on the internet to say "woo! I know how to put a section break in without hitting F1, now!". But the people who actually liked navigating six menu levels down to get to the thinger that adjusts multi-level lists - they're on the internet and they're LOUD.

Just because people got used to the way things were, does that mean that that's the way things should be for all of time? Of course not.

How would it be a "disaster"? A disaster would be an OS that literally didn't work, or that randomly formatted your disk, or which crashed at every available opportunity. This hyperbolic response to what are, in reality, relatively minor tweaks to the same old windows, icon, menu, pointer paradigm we've been stuck in for 30 years is, I think, unwarranted.
New mostly agree
I am on 8.1 have been for a while. Search works as good as the menu bar which never, going back to windows 95 ever had what I was looking for on it without delving into a dwarf pit of sub menus. Will get 10 after a bit, will want to do my taxes first.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New At least as of W2K, the start menu was configurable.
Just drag stuff you use most often into the primary menu, and shut up with your lying "[n]ever had what I was looking for on it without delving into a dwarf pit of sub menus" BS.

Nope. The W8/W10 UI just sucks. Horrible horrible horrible.

Got the sprog a laptop for Christmas; one of the reasons I picked a Lenovo was because it had a W7 option.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New As it is on W10. I find the W7 start menu horrifically limiting.
In practical terms, you can pin about a dozen or so apps to the Windows 7 start menu. It's pretty basic. You can't even do a web search or basic sums in the search box.

But you can run W7 if you like. I like having more performance on the same hardware.

(My work laptop has 7 on it, lest you think I'm some kind of mixed-version masochist at home)

Every piece of annoyance in W10 is 100% mitigated by the menu you get when you right-click the start button.

What's that? Sorry. Can't hear you over the sound of me starting an admin PowerShell prompt in 2 clicks.

On a more serious note, older versions of Windows will slide into irrelevance as high-DPI displays become mainstream. I dunno if you've used one, but this here XPS has a 3200x1800 display at 13"; this means I run Windows at 250% scaling. Text basically looks like print; images are deliciously crisp. And, ironically, at these resolutions and scales, the whole MacOS vs Windows font smoothing question basically goes out of the window.

Windows early than 8 is a bit of a shitshow at these high resolutions; you can dial things up to about 150%, but that's not nearly enough, and many apps end up looking like complete disasters - Windows 10 is much better at dealing with legacy and ill-behaving apps that don't obey the scaling rules.
New Resolution? I'll give you Dell screen resolution!
Got a new MacBook Pro at work a while ago. No DisplayPort (or wossname?), only USB-C, so new "dock" multi-connector dongle... With only HDMI video connector. So my couple-years-old Dell U2713HM now displays glorious 1920x1080. :-(

Dragging cmd.exe above the line on the W7 start menu also gives me access to the glorious old "C:\>" command prompt in two clicks, BTW. (And the new "PowerShell" one too, if I wanted; just never got into that language... yet?)
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New On PowerShell
For Windows scripting, it's the future. It's got proper syntax (I know bash, and I also know actual not-congealed-over-decades languages, and bash is fucking horrific), gives you full access to the .net object model, etc. yadda.

It's a bit wordy, and you deffo want to use the PowerShell ISE environment at least at first.

Example (with a stupid syntax highlighting scheme that makes symbols a delightful salmon-pink-on-white colour):

http://www.robvanderwoude.com/sourcecode.php?src=airreg_ps
New That's bizarre
I just hooked up my work Dell E7470 to my own QNix 2710 monitor (1440p) via HDMI, and I got 1440p.
New Huh.
Never played with the scaling before in Windows. On my Surface Pro 3, it recommends 150% but since I raised the default size on my phone a few weeks ago (ageing eyes...), I might give 175% a try for a little while.

Thank you for the idea.

Wade.
New Re: Huh.
It's remarkable. Here's a couple of worked examples. You don't realise the diff until you see them together.

You at 100%:

You at 250%:

And here you are, scaled to the same size:

Expand Edited by pwhysall May 20, 2017, 06:07:05 AM EDT
New I can already see the difference.
The less "wasted whitespace" on Facebook was immediately noticeable.

Wade.
New E.g.
http://www.nngroup.com/articles/windows-8-disappointing-usability/

Or (in Win7) go to Control Panel Home. View by Category. See a list of things with icons and text. Select System and Security. On the left side is a text listing of things that are sorta like tabs. On the right side is a list with text and icons of sub-items. All of them are selected with a single click.

If you go to Devices and Printers, you see a bunch of printer icons, etc. To do anything with them, you double-click them (or right click on them) even if they're displayed in Small icons mode (with an icon and text).

A lot of the changes seem gratuitous. "New and different! You buy now!!"

Yeah, everyone else (Android, OS X, etc.) is on the same bandwagon. Doesn't mean it's good. ;-)

My $0.02.

Gotta run.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That's not confusing.
The blue stuff is all verbs.

"Review..."

"Check..."

"Protect..."

The green words are categories. Point at them, mouse pointer turns into the clicky finger, you now know you can click it.

Icons behave like icons - they don't get the clicky finger, so you double- or right-click them, like always.

No, this is not confusing or difficult.

Neilsen is often technically correct (the best kind of correct!), but not many people pay much attention to him these days.

Whilst it's true that everyone else could be wrong and you could be right - personally, when I find myself in that situation, I tend to challenge the everloving shit out of my own position, because being wrong is something I'm good at.

Expand Edited by pwhysall Jan. 27, 2015, 11:15:49 AM EST
New Windows Control Panel: Often Reimagined, Never Finished
MS has habit of redesigning or reorganizing the control panel with every major release. But they only focus on the "core experiences", which often means the same functionality gets reworked over and over, and the rest is left untouched and poking out in awkward places.
New Win 7 rework of P&D was already a disaster
It used to be one printer, one icon. That became an icon per device port. (E.g. if you have multiple queues for a device, you only get one icon hiding all the queues.) First impression is "where have half my printers gone"?! Next up is the default queue flag. It shows, but it could be any queue in the icon stack, not necessarily the one who lent its name to the icon. Lovely.

And the context menu is all messed up as well. Gone is the single properties item that brought up all the printer and device controls. There are now two properties entries, plus a printer preferences entry. You have to become very familiar with what is hiding where to pull up the right one.
New Yup. :-(
New Re: Installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview
got bored with the tech preview
like the idea that Win 10 will be free upgrade for all 7 & 8 users

A
New Not everyone is excited about it.
The Register: Ugly, incomplete, buggy: Windows 10 faces a sprint to the finish.

If you're tablet centric, it downright sucks!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New ah, tablet too big to put in your pocket and cant receive phone calls
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
     Installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview - (pwhysall) - (21)
         Hope you survive with sanity intact. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (17)
             I did! - (pwhysall) - (16)
                 Free is good. - (Another Scott) - (15)
                     Make money? - (pwhysall) - (14)
                         mostly agree - (boxley) - (8)
                             At least as of W2K, the start menu was configurable. - (CRConrad) - (7)
                                 As it is on W10. I find the W7 start menu horrifically limiting. - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                     Resolution? I'll give you Dell screen resolution! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                         On PowerShell - (pwhysall)
                                         That's bizarre - (pwhysall)
                                     Huh. - (static) - (2)
                                         Re: Huh. - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                             I can already see the difference. - (static)
                         E.g. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             That's not confusing. - (pwhysall)
                             Windows Control Panel: Often Reimagined, Never Finished - (altmann)
                             Win 7 rework of P&D was already a disaster - (scoenye) - (1)
                                 Yup. :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
         Re: Installing the Windows 10 Tech Preview - (andread) - (2)
             Not everyone is excited about it. - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                 ah, tablet too big to put in your pocket and cant receive phone calls -NT - (boxley)

Ego cleanup on aisle three.
90 ms