If we manage to learn from history...

Now There's a qualifier! that's recursive and a traditional example of the fact that humans--at base--in most-all daily robot-stimuus/response activities: those tasks which comprise a %huge of "job" activities, social interactions (not just with strangers) etc. ... are navigated by almost muscle-memory.
tl;dr perfection there: Humans are (most-often) Not rational animals. Especially-so when "lives depend upon it".

[Swan-song, then]
We are facing the likelihood of a worldwide *plebiscite--whether we like that thought or not--on How? Whether! RELIGION can continue to supersede-at-Willfulness: all variants of the SOCIAL CONTRACT.

On with: how 'we' usually deal with such crises, via our inner autonomic responses (as seems Crucial next)
Sometimes the drowning one is Saved ... but most-often by the speed of the 'Instinctive-Center' (called Reptile-brain by some) It works fastest of all (faster even than than the Emotional one--as always happens-First in a confrontation--well before/IF-even Intellect can/will start processing. Intellect trails all our LANs in speed.

(Such observations pre-date modrin soft-sciences, none of which negate these asserted characteristics; this stuff is the Poster Boy for analysis paralysis and for the spinning-off of the TLAs (like SAD, ADD ad-nauseum) most often dreamed-up by Big Pharma + willing supine MDs: all working well beyond their grasp of our wetware.)
Thus I deem this shorthand a necessary KISS, and a useful antidote to the convoluted complexification so dear to the 'social science' trainees. (I wasn't incisive enough to discover them; had to wade through much std. stuff to discover the Model.) This-all, IME is quite germane to the clusterfuck surrounding today's FORCING of an overall re-Evaluation of most societies' lassaiz-faire, unThinking toleration of manifestly anarchist parables, hidden or Up-front within all the Corporate==mass religions.

Ex of what always We Do:
The Shogunate's game-plan [at base: KIll Saddam for Shrub's emotional conflicts with Daddy, via instilling WMD -ƒeare; get cheap oil for US, huge profits for Cheney's War-machine Death-merchants ... go home in 3 or 6 months, fat & happy. We all lived through this farrago in which ... we shall be enmeshed perpetually.]

* But the RELIGION Clusterfuck goes deeper into the human psyche than mere heaped-dead-burned bodies of OTHERS, as, for most adherents: it's A Ticket to Ride their last-grasp of (an infantile-Idea of) IMMORTALITY.) N'est ce pâs?

(Maybe someday we shall Thank! the Cheney/Neoconman/Hawk droids for precipitating, Forcing an overdue massive reassessment of acceptable daily behavior on a permanently Over-crowded planet.) If 'we' survive long enough and get through Today well-enough: for the luxury of such beneficent hind-sight.

In sum then, Patience is your long-suit, and I admire your general equanimity and decent arguments for both. Merely, I 'frame' the RELIGIO-issue as transcending.. as demanding a uniquely-tailored firm response from all who demand an impenetrable-Wall between social necessities and the mentally-afflicted amongst us.

And the deepest problem I see, is: not becoming too-Offending of the billions who practice their orisons quietly, have come to rely upon the assurances of their salvations etc. WHILE ALSO instilling within these large majorities, a New Awareness that: in order for them to proceed next with their daily and religious lives: they need to PREACH the necessity of THIS SEPARATION WALL. From the same pulpits and madrassas as created the current Hi-tech Crusaders amongst (their own!) mentally-unbalanced practitioners.

{Simply, for confirmation: Look at existing Theocratically-controlled States and the plight of their inmates, especially of those who would like to Change that State's governance. Syria, Iran et al.)

Yes, such a confrontation is unprecedented (as was the fission bomb) and only an egotistical fool could imagine to See the shortest/best route through the many mine-fields of human jelloware! I think that, if we punt/kick that terribly-dented Can down that endless road One More Time? we Shall exacerbate all mere 'climate' Damocles' Swords and regress to the handy/compact/Reliable gadgets in all those arsenals.

Think I'm done on the entire Clusterfuck; no idea how many/few cohorts for my POV exist out there, nor if there are more useful overviews as might occur next: via Sheer Luck.
Am content that we'll always have Tom Lehrer and George C. to Play Us Out: and ... ... what could be more Cosmically-humorous than That? :-)

Carrion.