IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New This Amer. Life does The Psychopath Test today.. [re-run]
..as might apply to some of the topics dissected here? LRPD thinks so too:
The tautological prime conjecture states that the tautological prime conjecture is true.
(Or, as some other LRPDs report:
~~ getting different results for [for n=1] and [n=1.000] in certain s/ware. [In the Pentagon!!???ONE 111!!)

Ummm.. they all Passed {{whew}} OK: I.G.M.: ..there must be a copy on the Intarweb..
(Surely the psych. equivalent, for those with a dysfunctional amygdala: of that guy walking ahead of a horseless carriage, with a red flag?)

Carrion.. if you break 29? Al Chainsaw Dunlop is your CIEIO cohort, (except: he didn't! {sigh}
New A good show.
Ronson (the journalist/writer of the book) has some good comments on the TED blog for his talk.

[...]

Is there anything you would have put in the Talk that you didn’t have time for?

In my very last meeting with Robert Hare, I said, “Look, I’m to write about how doing your course turned me a little bit power mad.” And he said, “Well it’s a problem.” And he told me a story about how sometimes he tries to train on Involuntary Civil Commitment. They’re basically institutions in America for people who score high on Robert Hare’s checklist. Once they’re released from prison, they’ll immediately be picked up and taken to one of these places and put there for the rest of their lives. It’s like Tony’s story, with no ending.

Hare said to me, “I’ve tried to teach some of these people who administer the tests, who determine whether these people are going to be stuck in these places for the rest of their lives or not, to look at them. They’re picking their fingernails and they’re twiddling their thumbs and they’re doodling and they’re not listening.”

If I could have made one point stronger in the talk, I would have made that point that with me it doesn’t matter, because I’m not a scientist. I’m a journalist who’s writing as a thoughtful cautionary tale for people. But what I went through, the way I succumbed to confirmation bias, is actually really real, and people’s lives are destroyed by it. I think Robert Hare cares about his checklist and really wants it to be administered properly and it really troubles him that there’s a lot of people out there who don’t administer his test properly. And so I suppose the point I would have made — and I wish I had — is that my story happens every day in the real world in places where it really matters, where people’s lives are destroyed by it.

:-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Competency.. seems in decline in many fields.. Huge liability, here.
(I would say..) unsurprisingly, given the situation of the entire dis-USA, and especially the ez/pragmatic approach to complex problems (as so often need complex hierarchies of "answers".) John Dewey, after all, lobbied (in education and elsewhere) for just this typically-American, 'streamlined' approach which he deemed appropriate for overhauling teaching, to accommodate the burgeoning masses. Book-length story, that, as you know.

Psychology (maybe particularly Psychiatry?) have always struck me as poster children for the pseudo-science category, where I still deem Econ to be its most evident example. (Mix in The pseudo-science of The Law! and there is a combination) in which 'competency' may be as hard to define as ever to regulate: as any of the game-able folklore on which so much is Decided in our many Systems. Ronson seems an unusually Honest guy (and I too wish he had added this caveat prominently! ..for all of the above.)

(I felt similarly.. as Conservator of an Uncle and Aunt: one was failing physically after a hip fracture/and a mistake in Meds--more Murican-type events--and the other already in advanced dementia.) Needing Power of Attorney, I made clear to my Uncle that it must be a Revocable instrument; he was lucid and nobody resigns their control of many things lightly; I also suggested he might want first to talk to an atty, etc. He chose not to, but were I in his shoes/bed actually: I'd want the matter put to me with the same caveats.

Ditto before ever taking such a 'Test' as this one! It seems a decent test, given the correlations at the high end, but (as said) any of us might score single-digits and that factoid alone says: Disregard below a carefully-set number. The Chainsaw anecdote needs also to be a part of the training.. It is Good that Hare also realizes the many ways in which incompetent/unobservant administration and especially interpretation, in-the-event and later.. must have oversight. The Power-trip looms large, in setting up effective overseers. Catch 21.5?

But this still is Murica; we can expect that many shall have their freedom curtailed on iffy grounds, however many Bundys are ID'd properly. (In comments: the Hodgdon criticism link is 404d :-/

I can't fathom how the canniest socio- would agree to such a test--or answer truthfully!--for all obvious reasons of an acute gamesmanship talent.

Yup ... :-/
     This Amer. Life does The Psychopath Test today.. [re-run] - (Ashton) - (2)
         A good show. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Competency.. seems in decline in many fields.. Huge liability, here. - (Ashton)

You can tell they are used to feeling highly competent in their home worlds.
64 ms