IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fun and Games Updating PMMail
I have been using PMMail for OS/2 for over 10 years - and for Windows nearly that long.

The Windows version has not been maintained for some time, and has serious problems with Windows beyond XP. I've moved all clients using it to Postbox Express, which is quite a fine email program (and can actually import large Outlook Express data files, which Windows Live Mail can't)

The problem with the 10 year old OS/2 version is that the SMTP servers I want to use, particularly that of Bluehost, won't accept mail from it, and it can't properly display complex documents in a Web browser.

Fortunately, it is being maintained. You have to pay a years subscription to the V.O.I.C.E user group ($25) and then you are allowed to buy PMMail for $25 (by paying for another subscription fee and requesting a license key - a little weird, but it works).

The new version works quite well, complex documents display properly in a Web browser and all tested SMTP servers accept the mail.

Installation was a breeze using InWin, but setup was a fire drill at the zoo.

Migration from the the 10 year old v2 didn't work. It correctly set up all 14 accounts, and populated the folders with the message headers - but not the bodies. And since there was no body for any of the thousands of messages it wouldn't delete them. I tried copying one message from the old mail, and it did work - but thousands of them? The only solution was to delete all accounts and establish them by hand without any of the old emails (I'm using the old version as an archive - it's got 10 years of crap in it anyway).

Next problem was setting up the accounts. The first three set up fine, but beyond that all new accounts were corrupted beyond recovery. All entry fields were filled with trash, and clearing them didn't clear all corruption - with certain corruptions the program wouldn't even run until the offending account was removed with a file management program.

The solution was to reboot the computer completely after each new account was entered. Then there was no corruption on the next account. Time consuming, but it worked.

So far, all features I've actually used work just fine, with lots of improvements over the old version. Export and Import of my large Music Group address book went smoothly.

Next big project is to get the latest Firefox to work. OS/2 software is getting closer and closer to the Linux versions, which makes development easier, but takes a bit of system preperation.
New Ah, the perils of obsolescent platforms! :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New And the perils of current platforms! :)
I spend a whole lot of my time fighting computer infections - but they are never on my computers.
New You got a point there!
No one will write viruses targeting OS/2.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
     Fun and Games Updating PMMail - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
         Ah, the perils of obsolescent platforms! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             And the perils of current platforms! :) - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 You got a point there! - (a6l6e6x)

And that's not all!
69 ms