IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New It's a NO, by 55% to 45%
Post-mortem:

The "No" campaign was crap, but then it always was going to be. Arguing for the status quo is always going to be hard.

However, dull but worthy won out, and here's why:

Salmond built the "Yes" campaign on wishful thinking.

Now, it's arguable whether the concomitant deceit was deliberate, or the result of genuine delusion, but the facts are plain: Salmond literally denied reality on the following absolutely 100% mission-critical points:

* He stated that there would be a currency union, and continued to do so after every major English political party, and the governor of the Bank of England said there would not

* He stated that Scotland would continue as an EU member state, and continued to do so after a veritable cavalcade of authorities on the matter said that Scotland would have to apply to join and membership would depend on meeting the necessary Article 48 criteria (even in a perfect world, that's a grindingly slow process. You might be able to wrap it up inside a decade. Turkey applied in 1987, and they're still not in.)

* He massively overstated the amount of money that would be available from oil revenues, and continued to do so when impartial analysts said "uh, no, your guys have overstated the numbers, and they've been doing that for quite a while"

And so on. It didn't help that the SNP costings for the actual split were ludicrously low.

Scots aren't stupid.
New Glad your neighbor blokes have good BS-detectors.
I gather that the projections of a squeaker demonstrated (again) that polling guesstimates are universally about as accurate as Econ predictions.

(PBS here is doing a marathon series on *The Roosevelts; tonight covered his extraordinary actions on first election--almost immediately flashing into action on numerous fronts: this-all after Hoover's merely/silently watching the place go down in flames. Superb use of the medium, especially for the young'uns without a historical clue.)

We're still in a Depression here--never mind the euphemisms--for a majority, nor is Euro free of many impending variants. Your kleptocracy seems a bit better-caged than our handful of slavering overlords. Wonder if this little soap-opera interlude bodes ill or healthy? for any sunnier outlook (long-term self-sufficiency, that is) in Blighty?. (I do expect better thinking over there; your peeps aren't nearly as demented.)

*They showed tonight an excellent quality clip of The Führer's little Reichstag skit re FDR's list of 31 nations: asking him to certify that, he wouldn't invade(!?) Commentator observed, "obviously he deemed the US to be no threat.." (Scary seeing this--with full realization of just what this single! psychopath was about to do/and did. Nukes? we shouldn't even have Bronze Age weapons.)

New Surprising, but YouGov had it roughly right (54% No, 46% Yes).
They seem to have known what they were doing.

Am I right in thinking that Cameron really messed this whole exercise up? Apparently the vote would have been overwhelmingly for "DevoMax" if that had been a choice. Now, the Scots will end up with something like DevoMax anyway after all of the promised concessions to keep the Scots from voting to leave.

Of course, it would have been much worse for Cameron and the rest of Parliament if Scotland had voted to leave. Over here, there were screams for decades about "Who lost China" - Imagine the yelling about "Who lost Texas"... ;-)

Is Cameron now a lame duck? Is it the straw that breaks the camel's back? If so, what's next for Parliament?

Interesting times...

Thanks. And congratulations! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Rule 1 Of Referenda
Don't put three things on them.
New A wider win than I expected.
But, should have known it would be solid. The pound/dollar ratio had moved 2 cents yesterday, a volatile move. So, the moneyed knew.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Well, whre's the fun in that?
     Today's the day! - (pwhysall) - (20)
         I say... - (Another Scott) - (1)
             I'm with AS here. - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: Today's the day! - (malraux) - (5)
             rofl. -NT - (Another Scott)
             They can take our lives, but they can't take - (pwhysall) - (3)
                 Is *that* what's under a kilt? -NT - (malraux) - (2)
                     We'll never really know. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Well... - (malraux)
         Felix says it will be "Yes" - (Another Scott) - (1)
             Interesting piece - (pwhysall)
         Re: Today's the day! - (malraux) - (1)
             :-) ! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         If it was me, It'd be no - (crazy)
         The United Kingdom of Pretty Good Britain and Northern Ireland - (gcareaga)
         It's a NO, by 55% to 45% - (pwhysall) - (5)
             Glad your neighbor blokes have good BS-detectors. - (Ashton)
             Surprising, but YouGov had it roughly right (54% No, 46% Yes). - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Rule 1 Of Referenda - (pwhysall)
             A wider win than I expected. - (a6l6e6x)
             Well, whre's the fun in that? -NT - (Andrew Grygus)

Yikes! Took me a second there to get my poop back in a group...
46 ms