IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Now this is funny.
I was reading through my Kazakhstan cookbook and came across the recipe for Beef Stroganoff - Americanski Style.

It's made from ground beef (no, not strips or cubes), egg noodles, Velveeta type "processed cheese food" and canned condensed cream of mushroom soup.

Pure Eisenhower era American!
New :-)
New Curiously enough that was the first way I learned to make it.
A girlfriend wanted to cook for me when I was about 16-17. I continued to use that until my mid 20's (although I called it "glop"). If you put other stuff in it, it can taste OK. I later learned to make stroganoff, and it's actually quite good.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Perhaps to snub the Russian style. :)
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Heh..don't knock condensed mushroom soup.
Found, (one money-saving summer 'twixt HS school years) it's a vehicle for hard-boiled eggs, maybe fresh mushrooms and other bits harvested.
One of 2 or 3 meals a day can float on that staple (if you happen to like real mushroom soup) and can stand whatever crap the *Corps used instead;
at least way-back--it then tasted like mushrooms, anyway.

* Guessing it was likely less toxic than now; IIRC HFC + salt + sugar hadn't yet dawned on the greedheads as a Universal-food-substitute, everywhere.
(Have a friend who can taste the additives in damn near anything, often ID-ing the perps.) I think that, of all the garbage out there
(well, my limited sampled) DIET-anything, but especially "drinks", are the worst-tasting concoctions since Rx-emetics. As to artificial sweeteners--RUN.

Bet those Russkis then, when they could get beef (?) were likely eating grass-fed--anyone know about such USSR/Russian versions of US cheap-crap across the decades?
Here's a chronology for US.

1889 - At this time, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) had responsibility for regulating all foods. USDA Chief Chemist, Harvey Washington Wiley, first publishes assessment of chemical preservatives. In his annual report, Wiley acknowledges that while it "was not regarded as a wise thing to prohibit absolutely the use of preservatives in foods, it was "imperative" that any food product containing a preservative must have "this fact plainly stated on the label of the package."

1898 - The Association of Official Agricultural Chemists (made up largely of State employed chemists who ensured the purity and accurate labeling of fertilizers), establishes a committee to recommend food standards. The committee was headed by Harvey W. Wiley, Chief of the Bureau of Chemistry in the USDA.

1900 - Following a USDA report on 152 "patent preservatives" (substances called: Mrs. Price's Canning Compound, Freezine, Preservaline, etc.), Congress authorizes the Secretary of Agriculture to "investigate the character of proposed food preservatives and coloring matters to determine their relation to digestion and health and to establish principles which should guide their use."

[When did we Lose It to Corp BSing?]
     Now this is funny. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
         Curiously enough that was the first way I learned to make it. - (hnick)
         Perhaps to snub the Russian style. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Heh..don't knock condensed mushroom soup. - (Ashton)

Kilroy was here.
70 ms