IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New RIP Folkert :(
I just got a call from a coworker at the company Greg and I both worked at. He passed away in a car crash this morning. He hit a bridge abutment at highway speed, not wearing a seatbelt, and was ejected from the car. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/08/wyoming_man_46_killed_after_cr.html

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2014/08/wyoming_man_46_identified_as_v.html#incart_related_stories

http://www.wzzm13.com/story/news/local/grandville-hudsonville-jenison/2014/08/19/crash-hudsonville-georgetown-deadly/14274367/

:(

Edit2: added third link.
Edit: added second link.
Expand Edited by Steve Lowe Aug. 19, 2014, 01:33:44 PM EDT
Expand Edited by Steve Lowe Aug. 19, 2014, 02:38:57 PM EDT
New Damn.
New That sucks :(
"Pictures are better then words because some words are big and hard to understand"
Peter Griffin (Family Guy)
New Dammit.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New Arrgggg
As M said, give me a hug and don't drink yourself into a coma.
fuck
Single car high speed into an abutment. No seatbelt.
I assume he killed himself.
fuck
New My same thought.
Regards,
-scott
New Sad but possible conclusion.
New If that is so . . .
. . at least he took no others with him. Many do.

Hew will be missed here.

New He will indeed be missed.
New Given the hour
I'd say it's more likely he just fell asleep.
New Good point. I hope you're correct.
New As I said, assume
No way we will ever know.
New Yes, but...
I first met Greg face to face in '06 while traveling with my wife in our motor home. We were traveling near where Greg lived and on a lark I decided to try see him. I had already met Box, Andrew, Tilly and Moffitt and he would be next.

I found Greg's address and phone number in a local phone book. Calling the number was useless as it turned out Greg had given up the land line. So, I drove on to house not sure what I'd find. Karen, who looked upset, answered the door bell. I explained who I was and that I just wanted to say hello to Greg. She told me to wait and she would see if Greg was up from his nap.

After a few minutes Greg came out. I apologized to him for springing up unannounced and suggested we go to the motor home parked across the street. He liked that idea. I cranked up the generator, turned on the A/C, broke out soft drinks and snacks and chatted.

We chatted for 4 hours! Idle chatter at the beginning, but eventually Greg unburdened himself of his family and work problems. It was then that he mentioned that only days before he tried to kill himself by running his car into an overpass abutment at high speed. Thinking about the kids, he had changed his mind at the last moment.

My wife told him how her sister took her life because of marital problems leaving two young sons without a mother. She recalled my words at the time of how wrong it was to apply a "permanent solution" to what was a temporary problem.

In any case, I believe that Greg had rehearsed at least once, what he has done this week.

I will miss Greg not only as a contributor to our IWeThey community, but along with Scott and Mike V a "keeper of the flame".

Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Thanks, but...
Should this message be public? (There might be insurance or other factors that we don't know about. We don't know for sure his intent in this case, and may never know.)

Thanks very much, Alex.

Cheers,
Scott.
New That was my thought all along.
New ehh, probably not an issue, but too late if it is
He had a long documented history of this type of action. And in the case of my dad (reading his insurance docs after he died of cancer), I found out that suicide still pays if it is at least a year after start of contract, since it is the result of mental illness rather than intentional fraud.
New Ok. Thanks.
New Ah, crap
And he seemed to be getting his shit together, too.
New Oh no. :-< :-<
New no words just sad
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Well damn
--

Drew
New Re: RIP Folkert :(
Damn is right!

It was not an accident. He's tried this before, changing his mind at the last moment. Or so he has said.

Depression hurts!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New :-/ :-/
New Ugh. Aw damn.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Just :-(
New So sorry to hear this.
New That sucks. Gonna miss him
I think the single most compelling piece of evidence for global warming is that Fox News viewers think it's a hoax.
New Can we all agree?
Can we all agree (easy as this might be to propose outside of the slough of despond) that should we any of us find ourselves careening down the greased slope of clinical depression, we will maintain at least the intellectual awareness that the worst of it, while chronic, is still intermittent, and that friends are standing by to talk one through it?
A human being tends to believe that the mood of the moment, be it troubled or blithe, peaceful or stormy, is the true, native, and permanent tenor of his existence ... whereas the truth is that he is condemned to improvisation and morally lives from hand to mouth all the time. —Thomas Mann
This is difficult to remember at the time, but it bears reinforcement. I've taken an hour this morning away from my normal duties to survey GF's contributions to our discussions. We've lost much, and if you, my auditors, will forgive a dollop of vicious mean-spiritedness here, it's a hell of a world we have going here when Greg Folkert perishes by blunt force trauma and a useless excrescence like Foreman Klucking Nitwit remains out there sucking up food, water and oxygen.
New While I completely agree with the sentiment...
It's not always that easy:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

One of my sons is in the grips of depression right now. Fortunately he is not (or so he claims) suicidal, but we would never have even known about the depression itself had he not clued us in.
Regards,
-scott
New That's rough.
So many changes happen to youngsters that it's amazing that all of them don't suffer depression - especially these days. Best of luck to him, and kudos for enabling him to let you know!

Allie is a genius. I hope she's doing well in the battle with her demons. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Thanks.
All kids are mental. Some of them grow up to be slightly less mental.
Regards,
-scott
New Yes, I remember my last depression . . .
. . (early 20s). I was right in the middle of being really, really depressed (and fantasizing about how if I offed myself the world would be so very, very sorry it hadn't treated me better - tears would be shed).

Then the realization hit me -just how much I was enjoying swimming around in this toxic swill of self pity and world blaming.

I haven't been able to get up a good depression since - just can't take it seriously.

Sure, I can get mildly dejected now and than, but I certainly wouldn't call it depression.
New Oh, I well know
Been there; didn't do that. There's bipolarity in my family history. To the extent I've shared it, the syndrome has been low-frequency: the manic phase generally manifests itself as a few weeks of undifferentiated glowing well-being; the depressive as a prolonged sense of numbness, unhappiness and anxiety. In the 40+ years since I attained my full growth, I've had two or three full-blown manic episodes, which were scary in retrospect but done with in under twelve hours, followed each by crashes during each of which self-slaughter appeared in the light of a perfectly reasonable coping strategy. In the profoundest of these, which fortunately took me from sea level to the Marianas Trench and back in just 24 hours, I would have been perfectly prepared to take my own life, but lacked the energy to effect this project. Part of the operative despair had to do with the fact that at the center of this crisis I had contrived to make almost the entire cast of my former support network somewhat reluctant to intervene. I don't mean for this to sound sordid: I'd merely become rather high-maintenance. In the event, of course, I endured that dark night of the soul. I wish to fuck that Greg had as well.

cordially,
New Glad you managed it
My brother-in-law is full blown needs-to-be-on-assistance bipolar.

My son gets a bit of the manic and a lot of the depressive. He's significantly higher functioning than his uncle, but it's still crippling at times.
Regards,
-scott
New Suspected as much from your evident talent.
It's probably a stupid truism, but it seems to me that great artists often have to fight demons to get their art out. Apparently people who fit in well with their environment don't feel the need to sweat and agonize over works that cause people to think differently. Imagine that. :-)

Glad you made it, and continue to struggle though this mess we call life, with the rest of us.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Oh, I well know
For me depression is low amplitude, long wavelength. I spend more time below the horizon than above it, but seldom far enough below that the experience is more than moderately annoying nor so far above that those subjected to it think I've gone farther than usual off my nut.

This part of your support network is reachable 24/7. If you ever decide to check yourself out without first checking in, I will kick your corpse's ass.
New :-)
New not to worry
That was 27 years ago, a dreadful confluence of ill-fortune, sundry circumstances appearing (some new, others flaring up anew) on the same weekend. I was not yet thirty-five, and the direst issues seemed at the time as though something over half my life had come to naught. Perhaps they had, but the period so negated looms less large from here, and I have attained heights of physical cowardice I could only have dreamed of back then. If I ever go by self-slaughter, it'll only be because the impending alternatives are direr by any rational calculation.

cordially,
New Right you are.
My younger brother lost his battle with mental health issues at the tender age of 25. He and my parents had been at my home for the week prior to his suicide and I saw him the last full day he was alive. I knew he was ill, and to some extent, how ill. But even I was not prepared for the events that unfolded the day after he left my home.
New :-( Condolences.
New Sorry to hear that.
We monitor my son pretty closely, but he's 20 and out of the house more than in these days.
Regards,
-scott
New Thanks, guys.
New don't let a doc with the drug "abilify" anywhere near him
bad things happened with my daughter during her depression treatment
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New :-(
New Thanks for the warning.
Regards,
-scott
New Used to fulfill info requests on it.
List of side effects is huge.
New I had a roommate on old-school lithium
He said it knocked the highs off the mania really well, without doing much for the lows. That's why his compliance was spotty.
--

Drew
New That's lithium all right
Bipolars with depression need something besides lithium for depression.
Regards,
-scott
New There are two things
that are unarguably cunts.

One is cancer.

The other is depression.

Fuck them both in the ear with a rusty chainsaw.
New Terrible
Whether as speculated or an unfortunate accident ...

Just ... sadness.

:(

New I still can not find words. My condolences to his family and those here who knew him better than I.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Thanks for the pointer.
New Thanks.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New Thanks.
New TY
New Thanks
Wish I knew what to say :/

I know Karen's not doing well and I imagine Jessica and Molly aren't either.
New Re: RIP Folkert :(
Don't have much to say other than "Well, crap" and "My condolences." Thank you Peter, for sending out the notification.
New Stick around lad
I, for one, have missed you.
New Ditto.
New Yeah.. remember that Sign
(by a big pot on stove, in Frank & Ernest's greasy-spoon)

Do Not Stir the Soup!

You could do that.. (we'd hate to have to send someone on a motorcycle.)
New Strong memory of him today.
The Grand Rapids Griffins schedule came out today. When their schedule comes out, I always say to myself, "I need to hook up with Greg when I head up there for a game." At one point he and I talked about going to see a game together, but it never worked out. When I saw the schedule, I briefly had the same thought again.
New I know what you mean.
And when you remember, you have to say it again. Damn!

Just over a year go a dear friend of mine in Upstate NY did away with himself. It was another case of depression.

We had been friends since 1965. Of course, my wife and I had to go to the funeral. It was the first Jewish funeral I've been to. He was buried at a Jewish cemetery in Clifton, NJ. One of the things one gets to do at the burial is to take a shovelful of dirt and throw it down on the casket that had been lowered in the grave. As it happened, I was one of the earlier people that did that. The sound of the dirt hitting the casket and the vibration of the casket had an unexpected effect on me. The finality of his death was punctuated in my mind. While I still think of him often, there are no expectations of any interactions of any kind.

Funerals are for the living and this Jewish burial practice has it right.
Alex

-- Isaac Asimov
New Same here.
Just got a new CentOS desktop at work, and that brought back all sorts of memories of working with him on CentOS servers. Also had dinner last night with former coworkers....Greg's family and coworkers are coming to terms with this.
New Move to strike an LRPD... yesss, heresy:
~Tektronix 454A ... (lightly used?)
Its pop-up presence simply reignites that burned-down LIbrary, in 3-D :-/

I sent him a pristine one [oscilloscope], packed bulletproof.. as led to a lengthy conversation--quite more than his frequent short-quips here.
Little idea of Greg's social-skillz-set elsewhere, but it takes only one ad-hoc conversation to note what is appreciable..

Please just extirpate this one, eh? (Has no significance elsewhere, being pun-proof.)
Do we not each get one (two?) Pocket Veto? ;^>
New Looks to be already deleted.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New "Nannyish, perhaps."
Regards,
-scott
New Gracias..
New In person he was indeed subtly different than online.
I only met him once IRL and I remember he could bend your ear for hours.

Wade.
New Subtly? No, greatly
Greg was someone I will miss forever
     RIP Folkert :( - (Steve Lowe) - (70)
         Damn. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         That sucks :( -NT - (Bman)
         Dammit. -NT - (malraux)
         Arrgggg - (crazy) - (12)
             My same thought. -NT - (malraux)
             Sad but possible conclusion. -NT - (static)
             If that is so . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 He will indeed be missed. -NT - (static)
             Given the hour - (jake123) - (7)
                 Good point. I hope you're correct. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 As I said, assume - (crazy) - (5)
                     Yes, but... - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                         Thanks, but... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                             That was my thought all along. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             ehh, probably not an issue, but too late if it is - (crazy) - (1)
                                 Ok. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Ah, crap - (pwhysall)
         Oh no. :-< :-< -NT - (Another Scott)
         no words just sad -NT - (boxley)
         Well damn -NT - (drook)
         Re: RIP Folkert :( - (a6l6e6x)
         :-/ :-/ -NT - (Ashton)
         Ugh. Aw damn. -NT - (mvitale)
         Just :-( -NT - (scoenye)
         So sorry to hear this. -NT - (dmcarls)
         That sucks. Gonna miss him -NT - (Silverlock)
         Can we all agree? - (rcareaga) - (21)
             While I completely agree with the sentiment... - (malraux) - (19)
                 That's rough. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     Thanks. - (malraux) - (1)
                         Yes, I remember my last depression . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                 Oh, I well know - (rcareaga) - (5)
                     Glad you managed it - (malraux)
                     Suspected as much from your evident talent. - (Another Scott)
                     Re: Oh, I well know - (gcareaga) - (2)
                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                         not to worry - (rcareaga)
                 Right you are. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                     :-( Condolences. -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Sorry to hear that. - (malraux)
                     Thanks, guys. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                 don't let a doc with the drug "abilify" anywhere near him - (boxley) - (5)
                     :-( -NT - (Another Scott)
                     Thanks for the warning. - (malraux) - (1)
                         Used to fulfill info requests on it. - (crazy)
                     I had a roommate on old-school lithium - (drook) - (1)
                         That's lithium all right - (malraux)
             There are two things - (pwhysall)
         Terrible - (altmann)
         I still can not find words. My condolences to his family and those here who knew him better than I. -NT - (hnick)
         Obituary - (malraux) - (6)
             Thanks for the pointer. -NT - (Another Scott)
             Thanks. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Thanks. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             TY -NT - (Steve Lowe)
             Note there are 2 guest books. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Thanks - (Steve Lowe)
         Re: RIP Folkert :( - (InThane) - (3)
             Stick around lad - (jake123) - (2)
                 Ditto. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Yeah.. remember that Sign - (Ashton)
         Strong memory of him today. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
             I know what you mean. - (a6l6e6x)
             Same here. - (Steve Lowe)
             Move to strike an LRPD... yesss, heresy: - (Ashton) - (5)
                 Looks to be already deleted. -NT - (mvitale) - (2)
                     "Nannyish, perhaps." -NT - (malraux)
                     Gracias.. -NT - (Ashton)
                 In person he was indeed subtly different than online. - (static) - (1)
                     Subtly? No, greatly - (crazy)

HA! THAT DON'T PAY THE RENT!
337 ms