IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New A famous is dead! A famous is dead!
And now my social media feeds are saturated with the sad story of how one man lost his battle with depression, as happens thousands of times a day across the planet. Funny how those people posting the moving and heartfelt exhortations to take depression seriously didn't give a crap about mental health yesterday, innit?

Still, as long as the people who get beheaded every day in Iraq didn't make us laugh, it's all good, right?

This is Princess Diana's fault, you know. We didn't do this mawkish outpouring nonsense before she got into a car with a pissed-up driver and failed to put her seatbelt on.
New Are you talking about...
A certain race driver who "purposely" ran down and killed another race car driver which got out of his wrecked car and ran in front of multiple race cars?

Oh, nope... you are talking about a comedian that had a long history of death defying feats.

Yes it is a shame both events happened, what is this Princess whozit-whtzit?. Oh look, a cute kitten video just came up on my social media feeds... what were we talking about? I must go look at this kitten video before another one comes along.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Methinks.. You've (both) got. it.
Cats reply: *mmMMMMrrrrOWW'RRRrrrrr

* 'You humans are so cute when you're all maudlin about stuff.. all we have to do for more tuna is chase our tails for 5 seconds.'
--Squeak: transliterated (he never chased his tail, no need.)
New in fairness...
this was a known genius who (although he is on record denying bipolarity) clearly leveraged his manic-depressive brain chemistry to extraordinary effect throughout a performing career of almost four decades. Our old chum DeSitter takes a sour view of the suicide, and holds that Williams "owes" the world for the wealth that celebrity brought him. I responded that to the extent Williams "owed the world" anything for his celebrity, he retired that principal a long time ago, and that we, the public, are just greedy for additional interest. He didn't owe us a damn moment more of entertainment.

Hundreds of thousands of people die every day whose contributions to human good, however profound (and many fail by several scores of meters to clear that bar), are confined to a modest circle of friends and family. Williams was particularly gifted, and far more people felt rightly or wrongly "touched" by his public persona. It's regrettable that these distraught fans most of them proceed immediately to wallow in a spurious sense of personal bereavement.

cordially,
New Stimulus/response is rarely more annoying than in these circumstances
My annoyance with mere stimulus/response outpourings is, I suppose measured against the JFK aftermath: in that case the majority of those--while suffering from a pre-deifying groping for words--were likely as heart-felt essays as mobs of people ever might display. (And even the aftermath of that proved salubrious: enabled the passage of the Civil Rights Act--LBJ-as-proxy--as could only have been dreamed-on, prior. For: had he lived, even? most improbable.) Grief, it appears can catalyze an authentic return to humanity.. for a time.

Techno now allows/nay forces us to assimilate the whole Gaussian-curve from the eloquent to the maudlin/all-at-Once! What then shall we reserve? for a billion outpourings, (say) whenever it dawns on some Super-majority: the incipient, maybe probable Loss of an entire Home-planet? ... (never mind the personal loss of one's Veyron or customized-black-707 air taxi. Or authentic cat.)

Heh, gotta go there again I guess.. allus fun to square-off with DRL, even in his cups.
(I thought Robin W. a kin of Python and Laugh-In; we owed him and them.) Our unstoppable-Right is to exit the Play on our own terms, if utterly determined.
New The Pres. managed a decent tribute, in few words

Robin Williams was an airman, a doctor, a genie, a nanny, a president, a professor, a bangarang Peter Pan, and everything in between. But he was one of a kind. He arrived in our lives as an alien – but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit. He made us laugh. He made us cry. He gave his immeasurable talent freely and generously to those who needed it most – from our troops stationed abroad to the marginalized on our own streets. The Obama family offers our condolences to Robin’s family, his friends, and everyone who found their voice and their verse thanks to Robin Williams.

Maybe we expect too much of the vox populi. When do they ever hear anything but doggerel, and not just in every sales slogan?
Poverty isn't just a financial-trap.
New Is this the more sincere tribute?
His Gamer cohorts' regard.

My ignorance of the field is vast, but I take this reporter's version to be no exaggeration--who would invent such? and to what end.
It occurred to me that, given RW's (Implicit) psychological state, these shared adventures may well have kept him from bailing, for an .. unknowable time. His acceptance as a full-fledged Peer (by a group apparently cynical and sharp-witted: no patronizing there!) nobody could now dissect.

It wasn't enough, but it seems it was Something. Nobody can guess what occurs inside a mind so instantly malleable; it may be comparable to the quip about Feynman's genius? (with attempts to describe what was Different in its form.) Is there 'comic genius'? it would seem so.
New Suicide is painless...
but a portion the population—dominated by, if not exclusively comprised of, those who have been doubly gifted with X chromosomes—demands it collective griefgasm.
     A famous is dead! A famous is dead! - (pwhysall) - (7)
         Are you talking about... - (folkert) - (1)
             Methinks.. You've (both) got. it. - (Ashton)
         in fairness... - (rcareaga) - (1)
             Stimulus/response is rarely more annoying than in these circumstances - (Ashton)
         The Pres. managed a decent tribute, in few words - (Ashton) - (1)
             Is this the more sincere tribute? - (Ashton)
         Suicide is painless... - (gcareaga)

Spork - the other white utensil.
40 ms