IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New To me *MOST* HDR photos are
Shit looking. They look unreal to me... and completely make the object look fake.

In reality, it is fake, you've processed the real out of it. You have enhanced the pastels or increased the saturation... or brightened the defective sensor fringe out of your photo... or you've pulled back you exposure from your pictures you've been unable to make proper. Any number of various "fixes" are removing evidence of un-skill-ed-ness.

Post process used to be about removing cosmetic defects from pictures... it is now an industry into and of itself making disgusting amalgamations, with those same people stealing everyone else's photos and nobody getting bank except for the "stock photo" companies.

{/rant}
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New I'm going to agree in a qualified way
Firstly, I'm going to tell you that your view on post-processing is a bit off. Fancy-pants post-processing, using skill and tools to lift more out of the negative than you'd ever think possible, has been around for ever; just read Adam's Examples to see how he farted about in the darkroom for ages to get things printed just so, all because his negative was a bit shit. Hell, Lightroom's called Lightroom for a reason :)

There is nothing wrong or unskilled in taking a RAW image and using a tool like Lightroom to adjust curves, apply geometry adjustments, remove chromatic aberrations, or achieve a particular ambience. Using the sliders to lift shadows is no different to waving a piece of card around (when developing wet film) to dodge and burn (again, those tools have those names for a reason).

Consider it a part of the evolution of photography. There's little conceptual distance between your view of post-processing and a pinhole camera photographer's disdain for those cheaters who use actual lenses the charlatans!

Of course, these things exist on a continuum and it's certainly true that there are people who use those tools not to make great pictures that take the viewer on a journey or tell a story or whatever, but to steal other peoples' work, to artificially elevate the mediocre, to disguise a lack of technical or compositional skill, and so on. But it doesn't matter. Great pictures always look like great pictures.

HDR is a funny thing. I have a rule of thumb; if it's got "HDR" in the title, it's almost certainly shit; if I can tell it's HDR, it definitely is shit. However, there are lots of very good HDR photos out there, and you've probably liked some of them, where you simply cannot tell that HDR has been used to manage the exposure.

New I'll grant that qualification.
If I can't tell it is HDR... fine. Well done, Bravo. Lifting a well done photo is different that lifting a POS.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Thanks.. pure truthiness is as rare as hens' teeth :-) {cackle cackle}
New Where several of those failed for me
I got the sense of, "Yeah, I'll bet that looked really nice if you were there."

A good landscape photo should capture the single perfect moment, so someone who was there observing without a camera would say, "Yes, that's what I was trying to tell you about!"
--

Drew
New A cardinal rule of landscape photography is...
...a nice view doesn't automatically mean a good photograph.
     Dozer [The. Dog.] wins marathon! - (Ashton) - (9)
         Holy crap, time sink ... two for Peter - (drook) - (8)
             First link is *so* frustrating - (pwhysall) - (7)
                 Good, it's not just me being picky -NT - (drook) - (6)
                     To me *MOST* HDR photos are - (folkert) - (5)
                         I'm going to agree in a qualified way - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             I'll grant that qualification. - (folkert)
                             Thanks.. pure truthiness is as rare as hens' teeth :-) {cackle cackle} -NT - (Ashton)
                             Where several of those failed for me - (drook) - (1)
                                 A cardinal rule of landscape photography is... - (pwhysall)

It's Howdy Doody Time!
64 ms