IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The fine print
As some of you may know, I serve as the "art director" for a one-man art department at the San Francisco offices of BrainDead Systems, formerly Flatline, Comatose, Torpor & Drowse. FCT&D, prior to its 2003 merger with Senescent Technologies, used to purchase equipment and software for my shop, but not no more. None of my work-related expenses are compensated.

Since 2003 I have been a customer of an online photo service I'll call "schlockstockimages.com" (I see that this is rendered onscreen as a legitimate URL. Don't bother, really). When they were a young, struggling service, their inventory was cheap: US 50¢ per image. As the company matured, and particularly after they were acquired a few years back by a consortium dominated by Muammar al-Gaddafi, Kim Jong-il, Dick Cheney and the Koch Brothers, the prices rose rather steeply, and you know, I didn't have a philosophical problem with that. I made out like a bandit those first couple of years, and the photographers were probably getting at most a dime per image from me. They deserved more. These days the fifty-cent images run between US $8 and $15 (and much higher, but I don't go there). I pay about a hundred dollars a year to keep a hand in, and to be able to snag the occasional picture for a project that I can't address from my backlist.

Back in June I get an email from SchlockStock: introducing a new "subscription" model in two flavors, Bronze and Gold. Each offers 250 downloads/month. Bronze gives the subscriber access to about half the inventory; Gold to something north of 90%. For new subscribers, SchlockStock offers a twofer: buy a one-month Bronze sub for $199; receive a second month free. Well! Five hundred images for two hundred bucks! Forty cents an image! Good times! I sign. I download. All to the good.

Recently I receive a phone message from a SchlockStock sales rep. I return it this morning. He's pitching a different subscription model: about $90/month for fifty images/month on a one-year contract. This, I observe, seems less enticing than my present twofer, or even than a onefer. Yes, says the rep, but I may not have noticed the fine print on my licensing agreement: my downloaded images must be used in a given project before the expiry of a given month's subscription, otherwise the usage rights are rescinded. Provided the downloaded files are incorporated into a project during the specified period, the customer retains his rights.

I acknowledged that I had inexplicably overlooked this sentence in paragraph 46 of the licensing boilerplate, and that I might have hesitated to consent to these terms had they been more conspicuously alluded to in the pitch. The flack mentioned that he did not represent the enforcement side of the house.

"How fortunate," I told him, "that I employed all of June's 250 downloads in a project I have called SchlockStock Bronze Contact Sheet: The Origins, and that I am presently at work on the sequel, SchlockStock Bronze Contact Sheet: The Reckoning, don't you think?"

He repeated that he had nothing to do with the company's image police.

The terms of the new subscription model struck me when I signed on digitally as too good to be true. I now know that they were indeed. Fortunately, it's unlikely that my low-profile work product, produced for and consumed mainly in-house, will ever draw the attention of the SchlockStock's legal arm.

cordially,
New Any relation to
schlockmercenary.com ?

One wonders... These people really do dream up new and effective ways to screw you.

Nice.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New While not illegal, that's at least devious.
They deserve to get zip. Are there not alternatives?
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Pretty decent a capella improvisation, obfuscatory oversight nailed until..
Can hope they haven't also some ritual of messengers-carrying proofs for their inspection: Cheney would.

Will volunteer my services for a project-folder: (FCT&D's pro-bono for the sake of National Security:)

Investigative Case-book of Possible Subversion in Kenwood CA

Our Patriotic Company is investigating the possibility that a group, up-to-no-good is coalescing around a particularly deviant character who dwells in that bucolic village, deep in the Wine Country. One would hardly look there.. for desperate bomb-throwers or heretics: but isn't that the point? In this continuing series we shall be showing some photos of normal people, going about their business, all unawares that such shenanigans could be happening a mere stone's throw away.

After all, FCT&D is also our motto: Freedom, Country, anti-Terrorism and Democracy!

(Maybe a CONFIDENTIAL aslant the folder-front?
New Infuriating.
Lawyers who enable things like that should be forced to recant in public while walking a gauntlet of verbal brickbats.

It might not have been an option in 2003, but maybe now? Your Tax Dollars at Work.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: The fine print
Wasn't the outfit that gulped down shlockimages the one a certain Billy Windows bought a few years back? The photographers are probably still getting a dime an image.

New The very same
"Getty Images" has devoured four or five of my former sources, including this one, and it's never been good news for the consumer. Once a monopolist, always a monopolist, I suppose.

cordially,
New One may next expect that ƒeare™ (mine!) shall be Corporate-owned.

Law above fear, justice above law, mercy above justice (remains always subversive in the dis-USA.)
(For any visiting aliens who are perplexed about their observations.)
     The fine print - (rcareaga) - (7)
         Any relation to - (folkert)
         While not illegal, that's at least devious. - (a6l6e6x)
         Pretty decent a capella improvisation, obfuscatory oversight nailed until.. - (Ashton)
         Infuriating. - (Another Scott)
         Re: The fine print - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             The very same - (rcareaga)
             One may next expect that ƒeare™ (mine!) shall be Corporate-owned. -NT - (Ashton)

I'd interracially copulate with an alien at this point, and take it to breakfast even.
42 ms