IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Indeed the source!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Missed opportunity
When I heard the equation, it was just something else to remember long enough to regurgitate it onto an exam. I wish I had had the foresight to think to ask this question.

When Drake created the equation, I think there was a mid-century assumption bias that technologically advanced civilizations would be immortal (the civs if not the constituent biologicals). What about an extinction rate? Yeah, it could be partially accounted for in L, but I think it rates its own variable. Maybe c really is a hard wall and macro-biological travel across the gulf of stars is impossible. If this is the case, home stars will will eventually die, violently or slowly in the case of the sub-fusion brown dwarves.
New Re: advanced civilizations would be immortal
I distinctly recall Sagan mentioning civilizations doing away with themselves because of some stupid act.

Frankly, between folks seeking rapture and those seeking 72 virgins, it's becoming an ever more probable event.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."”

-- Isaac Asimov
New Re: advanced civilizations would be immortal
It shouldn't be binary; all cigs endure or all perish. Okay, well maybe the latter, but if so what is the lifespan? Need a variable even if it is a blind guess.
New Thanks for reminder 'extinction rate', also that bias.
Clearly noted (now!) re, in '50s: strong presumption that Techno implicitly could solve any problem ('you could parse in Boolean?' they may have meant; the smarter ones, anyway.)
My 'institute' was certainly rife with such bubbly optimism.

But for those not up to Drake's eqn., Sagan's audience: I thought he did a decent task of conflating such missing-parts? into that ominous phrase about
(Our!) tendencies to commit seppuku in the name of any number of cockamamie rationales.

(As with 'I.Q.' too..) I doubt that any number in an equation could capture such a species-wide defect, into some Probability #.
Besides if that blindness tracks "IQ", we're certainly doomed to a death of un-Natural kind, anyway.
     Are we alone in the universe? - (lincoln) - (20)
         Several things have been pointed out. - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             dang, I wanted to open up an intergalactic brothel. - (boxley)
             Excellent points. Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Perhaps the noisy ones end up dead. -NT - (malraux)
         Yup, thirteen Billion Years+ of inter-galactic crap-shoots and - (Ashton)
         It's easy to forget how huge the Universe is... - (Another Scott)
         Some assumptions lurking in that. - (static)
         I am reminded of a cartoon of two ants... - (hnick) - (2)
             :-) Yup. -NT - (Another Scott)
             This is my opinion as well. - (folkert)
         The Drake Equation - (gcareaga) - (9)
             Heard Carl Sagan explain it on stage in LA back in 1974. - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                 From the source - (gcareaga) - (5)
                     Indeed the source! -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                         Missed opportunity - (gcareaga) - (3)
                             Re: advanced civilizations would be immortal - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                                 Re: advanced civilizations would be immortal - (gcareaga)
                             Thanks for reminder 'extinction rate', also that bias. - (Ashton)
             Apparently Fermi had a version, too. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Great material for honing the fringe of what-ifs? of more practical aims, maybe. - (Ashton)

Goo goo goo joob!
115 ms