IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Fare thee well
My response to the Neo-Confederate secessionists is that they are welcome to leave under three conditions. They may not have nuclear arms. They must take a per capita share of the national debt with them. They may not come back.

As to the nukes, any derivative regional state with a plurality of fundamentalist fuckwits must be denied access to fissile material. Nobody who thinks the rapture is real and something to be looked forward to can be trusted with such stuff.
New Left to their own devices ...
do you really think they could build one even if they had access to fissile material?
New Re: Left to their own devices ...
The information is readily available. A crude nuke, or even a well-crafted nuke, is certainly within the capability of Texas. I mean, gimme a break. The fucking Pakis have the bomb!

fissionably,
New Heh
The Pakis (as you so charmingly put it) are a people who, their jihadi enclaves notwithstanding, have a middle class that places almost as much stock in learning as the archetypical Asian Dad ("You get hepatitis B? Why not hepatitis A?" etc).

Hell, it seems like every other surgeon and consultant in the NHS hails from Islamabad or Karachi.
New I borrowed the term...
(not typically in use on these benighted shores) from Old Blighty. My point being that if Pakistan with its third-world economy and relatively narrow stratum of educated technical personnel can assemble a nuclear weapon from a standing start in just a few decades, then Texas, with existing nuclear materials, a high-level scientific, educational and technological infrastructure, and, I do not doubt, hundreds of scientifically-capable political fuckwits, could cobble together a functional arsenal with just a few turns of a screwdriver within about 72 hours of independence.

cordially,
New Pakistan had help.
FAS on Pakistan's nuclear weapons:

Pakistan's nuclear weapons program was established in 1972 by Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto, who founded the program while he was Minister for Fuel, Power and Natural Resources, and later became President and Prime Minister. Shortly after the loss of East Pakistan in the 1971 war with India, Bhutto initiated the program with a meeting of physicists and engineers at Multan in January 1972.

India's 1974 testing of a nuclear "device" gave Pakistan's nuclear program new momentum. Through the late 1970s, Pakistan's program acquired sensitive uranium enrichment technology and expertise. The 1975 arrival of Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan considerably advanced these efforts. Dr. Khan is a German-trained metallurgist who brought with him knowledge of gas centrifuge technologies that he had acquired through his position at the classified URENCO uranium enrichment plant in the Netherlands. Dr. Khan also reportedly brought with him stolen uranium enrichment technologies from Europe. He was put in charge of building, equipping and operating Pakistan's Kahuta facility, which was established in 1976. Under Khan's direction, Pakistan employed an extensive clandestine network in order to obtain the necessary materials and technology for its developing uranium enrichment capabilities.

In 1985, Pakistan crossed the threshold of weapons-grade uranium production, and by 1986 it is thought to have produced enough fissile material for a nuclear weapon. Pakistan continued advancing its uranium enrichment program, and according to Pakistani sources, the nation acquired the ability to carry out a nuclear explosion in 1987.

[...]

In the past, China played a major role in the development of Pakistan's nuclear infrastructure, especially when increasingly stringent export controls in western countries made it difficult for Pakistan to acquire materials and technology elsewhere. According to a 2001 Department of Defense report, China has supplied Pakistan with nuclear materials and expertise and has provided critical assistance in the construction of Pakistan's nuclear facilities.

In the 1990s, China designed and supplied the heavy water Khusab reactor, which plays a key role in Pakistan's production of plutonium. A subsidiary of the China National Nuclear Corporation also contributed to Pakistan's efforts to expand its uranium enrichment capabilities by providing 5,000 custom made ring magnets, which are a key component of the bearings that facilitate the high-speed rotation of centrifuges.

According to Anthony Cordesman of CSIS, China is also reported to have provided Pakistan with the design of one of its warheads, which is relatively sophisticated in design and lighter than U.S. and Soviet designed first generation warheads.

China also provided technical and material support in the completion of the Chasma nuclear power reactor and plutonium reprocessing facility, which was built in the mid 1990s. The project had been initiated as a cooperative program with France, but Pakistan's failure to sign the NPT and unwillingness to accept IAEA safeguards on its entire nuclear program caused France to terminate assistance.

According to the Defense Department report cited above, Pakistan has also acquired nuclear related and dual-use and equipment and materials from the Former Soviet Union and Western Europe.

Their first claimed nuclear explosion was in May 1998.

The DOE has nuclear sites all around the country. Plus, there are the Air Force and Navy sites with nuclear weapons scattered all over. Keeping the technology out of the hands of teabaggers or neo-fascists would be very difficult...

Cheers,
Scott.
New Seems a predictably-insoluble conundrum.. indefinitely.
If a One, supported by ept-Group, 'decides' it Needs: algorithm-W in order to obviate Horrific-algorithm-X happening on-its-own ...

Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters?
I expect that only too-much can be said re ROI, infinitesimal Probabilities and very much linear-thinking + non-linear-Scaring.
We don't handle things on this scale well, at all. (Most sci-fi novelettes are about such Ooopses, no?)

{sigh}
New Georgia already has the material
and georgia tech grads can certainly build one
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Securing nuclear materials
As a college student in the 1980s, I was often in a natural sciences laboratory building on campus. There was a door in a corridor opposite the vending machines. This door had a nuclear trefoil sticker on it and appeared to have the security precautions of a door to a custodian's closet. On the sticker was written 239Pu.

Of all the buildings on Science Hill, this one was considered to be the most seismically sound. An older large laboratory building was scheduled for seismic retrofit and the consensus was that if the big one hit before the retrofit, that building was a goner.

In 1989, a big one—if not THE big one—hit. The old seismically unsound building did fine. The new and safe building with the Plutonium inside came within five seconds of complete collapse. Going on a quarter century later, that building is still externally buttressed with large i-beams. The trefoil sticker is gone.

College campuses and fissile material don't go well together.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
     mmoffitt's thought experiment: let's discuss - (rcareaga) - (54)
         how is your spanish? -NT - (boxley) - (7)
             Explain your point, with great length please. - (folkert) - (6)
                 no problema carnecita - (boxley) - (5)
                     You really are... - (folkert) - (4)
                         boys, boys - (rcareaga) - (3)
                             depending upon how the state breaks down - (boxley) - (2)
                                 excellent point - (rcareaga)
                                 Re: lure for hard charging folks like the cartels. - (mmoffitt)
         I'd be willing to forego the common militia. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
             "free, unimpeded movement" - (rcareaga) - (8)
                 Dude, don't kill my Utopian Buzz. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                     brief clarification & then - (rcareaga)
                     I'll bet you're a Kunstler fan -NT - (drook) - (2)
                         or conceivably of these folks - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             Hmmm.. a Gantt-chart of these overlapping mind-sets would resemble a - (Ashton)
                     another imagined contention - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         I wonder. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             That seems plausible - (rcareaga)
         Fare thee well - (gcareaga) - (9)
             Left to their own devices ... - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 Re: Left to their own devices ... - (rcareaga) - (3)
                     Heh - (pwhysall) - (2)
                         I borrowed the term... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             Pakistan had help. - (Another Scott)
                 Forget the nukes - (scoenye) - (1)
                     Seems a predictably-insoluble conundrum.. indefinitely. - (Ashton)
             Georgia already has the material - (boxley) - (1)
                 Securing nuclear materials - (gcareaga)
         It's not the number of people that matters. - (Another Scott) - (23)
             California even survived Gov. Moonbeam! :) - (a6l6e6x) - (9)
                 You're aware, aren't you - (rcareaga) - (8)
                     Every week I get several calls asking me to invest . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                     My first thought on first hearing the Moonbeam appellation was the obvious one: - (Ashton)
                     Did you note the smiley? - (a6l6e6x) - (5)
                         Noted, yes, but - (rcareaga) - (4)
                             Well, Prop 13 comes to mind. - (a6l6e6x) - (3)
                                 Re: Well, Prop 13 comes to mind. - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     Wiki-P gives a decent synopsis of Gann/Jarvis' motives and.. - (Ashton)
                                 I remember my dad accurately predicting Prop 13 would destroy CA schools. - (mmoffitt)
             Why not provide all states with nukes, then? - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 Why not? Because... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                     Since about 1983, ... - (mmoffitt)
             But size and geographic proximity do. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                 The drowning northeast - (gcareaga) - (1)
                     The triage following the first serious water intrusions.. cannot fail to catalyze - (Ashton)
             "Kampuchea...was briefly ruled by genocidal psychopaths" - (rcareaga) - (6)
                 Foul!! Before displaying such a visage, the decent person - (Ashton) - (3)
                     in a more perfect word... - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         (I truly Should... live so long.) -NT - (Ashton)
                         Much more apropos (and Fixed It For You) - (folkert)
                 Where is my barf bucket? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     here ya go - (boxley)
         Related: - (malraux) - (1)
             Food for thought, but as an early responder notes, - (Ashton)

What's the Queen Koopa like?
119 ms