IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is perlmonks still operational?
I haven't been there for a bunch of years, but thought it might be a good idea now. The site is there, but I tried to register there the other day and I still have not gotten a password. I HAVE had to block 4 new sites that are sending me spam for pecker pills and such. Tilly used to be there a lot; anybody else go there enough to notice a difference?
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New Re: Is perlmonks still operational?
I do not have an account, but have ended up there a few times during the last month. It looks like there is still some life left, even though most postings now seem to be "anonymous" and Tilly level responses are rather scarce.

StackOverflow will probably be able to get you just as good an answer as PerlMonks will. They do have a decent S/N ratio.

(For completeness, Perl is not my language of choice so most of the stuff I'm looking for is rather trivial. But even at that, I find StackOverflow has better answers and the site format is a lot easier on the brain.)

</d'oh>
Expand Edited by scoenye May 29, 2014, 07:52:54 AM EDT
New ben had to stop posting:
Or at least ease off.
He worked for a company that patented a particular method. They claimed he posted that method and caused him great grief. So part of the deal that allowed him to escape the lawsuit was that he had to stop helping people on perlmonks.
Bastards
New Bastards indeed
As part of a patent grant is that you publish the method patented :-/
New The site might be great if you're on dialup
But it's time to move on from 1999.

Here's an example Perl question on Stack Overflow. Note the syntax highlighting and general eye-soothing nature of the page:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23925582/no-output-from-podsimple

I find the Tags page a good place to start browsing:

http://stackoverflow.com/tags
New Thanks all...
Their create an account apparently doesn't work. Oh well. I don't actually use Perl much in recent years; I'm mostly working at the HAL layer or protocol stacks for embedded stuff now. There is some database work to be done so I thought I'd refresh my memory in case they want me to take a whack at it.
"Religion, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable."
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New do you have an open Perl question?
If so, what?
New Not at the moment.
For the stuff I've already needed, I worked out how to do it, albeit much more verbosely than Tilly's work. My interest was to get involved again and get my brain thinking along the lines that things are done today. The last time I was heavily involved with Perl, 4.0 was the new version. I just wanted to see how current thinking goes. Thanks anyway, though.
~ AMBROSE BIERCE
(1842-1914)
New post it in scripting
The problem, and your solution. Let me see if I come up with some different (and possibly better).
     Is perlmonks still operational? - (hnick) - (8)
         Re: Is perlmonks still operational? - (scoenye) - (2)
             ben had to stop posting: - (crazy) - (1)
                 Bastards indeed - (scoenye)
         The site might be great if you're on dialup - (pwhysall)
         Thanks all... - (hnick) - (3)
             do you have an open Perl question? - (crazy) - (2)
                 Not at the moment. - (hnick) - (1)
                     post it in scripting - (crazy)

Connection reset by peer.
52 ms