IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 2 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New One for Ashton: Comments on Roberts at Fallows...
http://www.theatlant...f-the-day/360241/

2) John Roberts, John Marshall. From another reader:

My reaction at the time of the ACA decision was that Roberts had pulled a trick not unlike the one Marshall pulled with Madison v. Marbury. In the latter, Marshall found in favor of the plaintiff, which was against the interests of the Federalists who had appointed him, while creating the principle of Judicial Review which gave the Court, and himself in particular, ultimate power over Congressional "balls and strikes". In Sebelius, Roberts granted himself the power to define words. Thus "mandate" became "tax" and all was well with the law. What passed unobserved was that this new power to redefine the words in any given law meant that no law is worth the paper upon which it is printed until Roberts has interpreted it.

Thus, "money" becomes "speech" and "corporations" become "persons". "Rights" become "Grants", "Birth" becomes "Conception", "Privacy" becomes "License" and/or "Property".

Of course, I agree with Marshall and I disagree with Roberts, but I have to admit that the sword cuts both ways. In his defense, Marshall was generally wise to create judicial unanimity in his decisions which gave them greater strength when the Court was weakest. On the whole, I would say that the Nation was fortunate to have Marshall on the bench for 35 years acting as a break against the autocrats in Virginia who leveraged their 3/5s electoral advantage in every direction. Had it been left to Jefferson, Dred Scott would have been decided in 1802 and the rest of history would have been very different.

Today, Roberts has appropriated the dignity granted by Marshall and uses it to forge divisive and cynical rulings when the Court could not be stronger. For the time being, I am satisfied to let Roberts continue to redefine "democracy". I think this is a necessary part of the process. The excesses of the oligarchs will eventually bring their ruin. All I can hope is that it won't take a second Civil War to bring this about.

Cheers,
Scott.
New The War/Revolution will come only when ...
enough of us are hungry. As long as the farm subsidies/tax breaks/etc. continue to artificially depress the price of food in this country, no war will break out. The monied class knows this. People never rebel until they're hungry and the "breadbasket of the world" is controlled by the monied class who is smart enough to know that.
Expand Edited by mmoffitt April 7, 2014, 09:31:51 AM EDT
New Words have power
This man is very, very successful.

Words That Work: It's Not What You Say, It's What People Hear

http://www.amazon.co...s=words+that+work

Edit: No idea why this posted multiple times, sorry.
Expand Edited by dmcarls April 7, 2014, 10:10:09 AM EDT
New Words have power
>>> ..."Roberts granted himself the power to define words. "

This man became very successful at this very thing:

Apologies for multiple postings, I have no idea what happened, and I am unable to remove the extra ones.
Expand Edited by dmcarls April 7, 2014, 10:10:41 AM EDT
Expand Edited by dmcarls April 7, 2014, 10:12:47 AM EDT
New Words have power
This man is very, very successful.

New extracting money from the barrel of a gun
when done by a reigning government, is a tax
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Superb!.. 'I must think on this', saith Smart Interstellar
Bomb, on Dark Star. THANKS.. would hate to have missed this 20-word paring-down of shelves-full of arcane bloviations:
possible only via the pseudo-science of The Law and its perpetuation of legions of Over-paid word-prestidigitators.
How utterly, purely-Distilled:

Thus, "money" becomes "speech" and "corporations" become "persons". "Rights" become "Grants", "Birth" becomes "Conception", "Privacy" becomes "License" and/or "Property".

This. simple. list. is Obvious! Like all truthiness--seen in hindsight! :-/
Why did I Not make this clear-connection, early-on, sans prodding?
(No excuse, either: it is the essence of Confucius' All ye need to Know about Language.)

Now on to the anticipated Bully Excoriation via the esteemed and perspicuous Mr. Fallows.
(May his essay be etched into copper and delivered to our Repo Number One, with suitable fanfare, video and vitriol.)
Let there be Light!

One for Ashton: Comments on Roberts at Fallows... - (Another Scott) - (6)
         The War/Revolution will come only when ... - (mmoffitt)
         Words have power - (dmcarls)
         extracting money from the barrel of a gun - (boxley)
         Superb!.. 'I must think on this', saith Smart Interstellar - (Ashton)

Hello, world.
96 ms