IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Internet Card Disappeared
Kids told me that "the internet was down". Checked and discovered that eth1 was "gone". (ifconfig) Tried to bring it up (ifup) and got a message "device not available" (or something similiar). System rh 7.2, on a Intel box. nic is 3c905c. Tried rebooting and watched loading lo, loading eth0 and nothing about eth1. Can see it in the network configuration.

Where do I look? Did the nic go bad? Setting get corrupted? Do I need to RRR?

I can only post from work until I get the home computer back on-line. Ask any questions and, if I don't know the answer, I'll post the reply tomorrow.
[link|mailto:jbrabeck@email.usps.gov|Joe]
New Linux is kind of picky.
It wants the Ethernet card fully functional or it doesn't cofigure it. For some cards, just having the cable disconnected will cause it not to appear in ifconfig. Any other problems will give the same result. Once it's up, it'll stay.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
New I just had that happen
a couple of moths ago.

I did an insmod and everything worked as per usual - and I haven't seen it since... (yes, I've rebooted since then).

Not sure what happened, though.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Try a manual module load and see what happens.
To wit: use lsmod and rmmod to make sure it's not there. Check /etc/modules.conf to see that eth1 is aliased to a driver. Do a modprobe on the driver. The error message should give you a clue.

You could also check with lspci to see whether it is visible on the PCI bus - if it's not, then I think NIC might have died!

Wade.

"All around me are nothing but fakes
Come with me on the biggest fake of all!"

New Got it
Tried the lspci. Did not see the 3com nic. Switched nics. Still not visible. Installed original nic. Then went into the CMOS and reset everything, then turned off floppy (none installed), changed video from PCI to AGP. Rebooted and everything worked. Posting from it right now. Go figure. I didn't change the CMOS settings. IIRC the current settings are the same as what I had prior to resetting them.

Oh well, at least it's working now.
     Internet Card Disappeared - (jbrabeck) - (4)
         Linux is kind of picky. - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             I just had that happen - (imric)
         Try a manual module load and see what happens. - (static) - (1)
             Got it - (jbrabeck)

It's like you ran OCR on a photo of a Scrabble board from a game where JavaScript reserved words counted for triple points.
50 ms