IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't think so
This is really torturing Boole, now.

If A is unknown, then 'not A' is also unknown.

The assertion that A is in fact known is a different premise than A, as is the assertion that A is unknown.

You are asserting that A (~ this is no worse than that) is unknown. Even if I agree with that, that isn't the same as agreeing that A is untrue.
--

Drew
New Back at you.
If A is unknown then the statement "A is known" is false. I'm not asserting "not A". Look, the Prez said, "A is no worse than B." I did NOT assert "A is worse than B". I pointed out actual evidence that would suggest the truth of "A is worse than B", but I did NOT claim I had provided proof of this latter statement. I did, however, demonstrate to all but the most myopic of minds that there was insufficient grounds to determine the truth of "A is no worse than B". Consequently, making the statement, "A is no worse than B" is unfounded and has no basis in fact.
New How many times can a hair be split?
I noted a few well-known negative consequences of alcohol consumption.

You noted a single study reporting unspecified long-term brain changes with unspecified impact.

People have been alleging serious negative side-effects to marijuana use for a century. It's the dog that didn't bark.

Do you know you sound like a climate change denier? "I've known this for decades. Now this one study that kinda-sorta makes my point proves that I've been right all along. (Even though I had no idea the thing mentioned in this study was happening.)"
--

Drew
New That's just disingenuous.
In this thread I listed two - one from this year (January!). There are others and you know it (or maybe you don't, ignorance being bliss and all that). How about this from the Mayo Clinic last summer? The dog isn't just barking, it's howling.

There are few studies on the risks and benefits of marijuana use to treat chronic pain in adults, and even less data on the pros and cons of using it to ease chronic pain in adolescents, the researchers say. They recommend that physicians screen teen chronic pain patients for marijuana use. While medical marijuana may help some specific conditions, its adverse effects, even with short-term use, can include fatigue, impaired concentration and slower reaction times, they say.

"The consequences may be very, very severe, particularly for adolescents who may get rid of their pain -- or not -- at the expense of the rest of their life," says co-author J. Michael Bostwick, M.D., a Mayo Clinic psychiatrist.

The researchers describe the cases of three high school-age patients at Mayo Clinic's pediatric chronic pain clinic who said they used marijuana regularly. Pain worsened for all three despite their marijuana use. None attended school full time; they reported impaired functioning and difficulty becoming more socially active.

Excessive doses of marijuana may induce symptoms that many chronic pain patients already experience, including dizziness, anxiety, sedation, fatigue, decreased reflexes, confusion, difficulty concentrating and a lack of motivation, the researchers note. Marijuana use before age 16 has been linked to earlier development of psychosis in susceptible patients; smoking marijuana more than once a week has been connected to persistent cognitive damage in adolescents, the authors say. An estimated 1 in 10 marijuana users becomes addicted, and people under 25 are more susceptible to that, Dr. Bostwick says.

http://sciencedaily..../130617090940.htm

I know, I know, the Mayo Clinic is full of shit because you know people who used it and are happy, well adjusted folks.
New I'm out
Reading these studies is like reading nutrition studies, with all the same flaws. I don't care enough about it to start digging into the research.
--

Drew
New I categorize this exercise with another, here.
This is about as-yet Not-seriously-studied Gotchas.. not studied? Studied. some. but the $$ ran out because, nowhere in sight was
(say? instant gratification) for some nice, neat black/white Answer re the missing data.

SImilar propositions here, re ionizing radiation. a topic I happen to have some decades 'experiencing'.
http://forum.iwethey...iwt?postid=376910

In both cases, the Absence of a tidy summing-up is deemed a reasonable rubric for 'doing triage'==on to more pressing matters of the soluble/insoluble ilk.
In my case re (all sorts of radiation partaken-of, wittingly or not/by very many and in most populations):
I note that Today--as all along--even when you
Ask for a rendered-Dose--of the very technicians who are Supposed to speak physics? Frequently they Can't Tell You!

This means that: offering the patient that #, for his/her lifetime-accumulating Total Dose (if an Ept patient)
IS NOT EVEN on this multi-industries' RADAR.

[I have, today to respond to a questionnaire re. a recent X-ray/from the PR-folk at local hosp. Guess what my reply will be like?]
I KNOW my Σ RADs/REMs aka pre-'Sieverts' ... for complete Lab history.

Comparisons, then: I have observed this phenom since, well the Trinity Test? Willful ignorance is a windmill I will not tilt/waste no (more) time attempting to Educate-the-unwilling.

As to the 'brain changes' as a complex function of age, individual-brain-genetics, habits, duration of usage etc. of the (also-varying contents of quite more than THC)
One Hopes that research on [what can we Measure.. of these alleged brain Δs??] and like that.. shall persist, however likely funded ... at a pittance.

Peter is likely right as to the competition for some solution-like New Info on [n+1000] street-lamps to-look-under--on long lists.
The same may apply re cannabis: BOTH cases are about subtle (maybe usually) plus some prospects of severe Badness occurring--on a simply unknowable time-scale.
A severe 'there's the Rub', I wot.

We nitpickers serve our Purpose: but we may not expect our particular Nits to qualify for itch-scratching until the piles of heaped-dead-bodies become visible
(or odoriferous?)

My letter to the President. - (mmoffitt) - (52)
         so you are saying the pres is brain damaged? /me flees -NT - (boxley) - (1)
             Likely. - (mmoffitt)
         It's a real Puzzlement, because of the legal fallout.. - (Ashton) - (14)
             My biggest problem, perhaps has always been... - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                 should take about 3 weeks that study - (boxley)
                 you're going to die on that hill, aren't you? - (rcareaga) - (11)
                     lrpd that - (boxley) - (1)
                         And also, too - (drook)
                     Miss the "Perhaps"? - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                         You cite a single study from last year - (rcareaga) - (7)
                             There are more studies with similar results. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                 "No worse" is an impossible measure - (crazy) - (1)
                                     I don't have any illusions about alcohol. - (mmoffitt)
                                 Jake Ellison at Seattle PI - the Pot Blog... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                     I suspect that's true of lots of things - (drook)
                                     FWIW. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                         Sure it has - (crazy)
         Atrios today. - (Another Scott) - (34)
             I'm no longer necessarily opposed to that. - (mmoffitt) - (27)
                 That's a narrow definition of "dangerous" - (drook) - (26)
                     Abnormal brain structure, poor memory, schizophrenia. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                         How about in humans? - (drook) - (22)
                             Seriously? - (mmoffitt) - (21)
                                 Yes - (drook) - (20)
                                     That could be because the law was slow to catch up. - (mmoffitt) - (15)
                                         No, didn't know the details - (drook) - (14)
                                             Familiar with Copi? - (mmoffitt) - (13)
                                                 Let's see the quote again. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                     Wow. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                         Soviet-sooth-sayers say sententious Stuff! [stolen, swiftly] -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 Horrible abuse of Boolean logic - (drook) - (9)
                                                     Who knows? - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                                         "not known" != "not true" -NT - (drook) - (7)
                                                             Huh? - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                                                 I don't think so - (drook) - (5)
                                                                     Back at you. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                                         How many times can a hair be split? - (drook) - (3)
                                                                             That's just disingenuous. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                                                 I'm out - (drook)
                                                                                 I categorize this exercise with another, here. - (Ashton)
                                     pot smokers can crash cars, but that is anecdotal - (boxley) - (3)
                                         I've heard it said... - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                             :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             Best in thread. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                         Re: Abnormal brain structure, poor memory, schizophrenia. - (gcareaga) - (1)
                             I'm not looking for such a particle. - (mmoffitt)
             Ad under it was for Penn Station subs - (drook) - (5)
                 Starting at $175. - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     What I mean is, are they targeting keywords - (drook) - (3)
                         Ah. Hadn't thought of that (obviously). Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
                         marijuana-targeted marketing - (rcareaga) - (1)
                             I vaguely remember something about RJR. - (mmoffitt)

I wanted to request installing a suggestion box at work, but I had no way of doing it.
74 ms