IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Diff between Data Structures and Program Structures?
The two concepts are very similar in principle, but normalization usually refers to the concept of building the relationships between Tables (or if you like factoring the columns) and the other usually refers to the structure of programs (be it imperative, functional, or object-oriented).

Of course, one can make the argument that the difference between data and functions which operate on the data are blurred, but I don't know that it helps either the design of entities in a relational model, or the design of functions, procedures, modules or classes in a programming model. Yes, they are similar, but sometimes it's helpful to use distinct language for the different representations.
New Well you *could*, I guess - but only if...
Da Critter:
Of course, one can make the argument that the difference between data and functions which operate on the data are blurred [...]
One can - but only if one sees data and the functions which operate on it as essentially different aspects of the same thing.

So, Bryce, should we take your posing of this relationship as a sign that you now subscribe to the object-oriented paradigm? :-)
   Christian R. Conrad
Of course, who am I to point fingers? I'm in the "Information Technology" business, prima facia evidence that there's bats in the bell tower.
-- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=27764|Andrew Grygus]
     Diff between "normalization" and "factoring"? - (tablizer) - (2)
         Diff between Data Structures and Program Structures? - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Well you *could*, I guess - but only if... - (CRConrad)

No pea soup happening, I hope.
31 ms