IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New NYT today on mind and brain
This stuff is catnip to me:
In our smaller-brained ancestors, the researchers argue, neurons were tightly tethered in a relatively simple pattern of connections. When our ancestors’ brains expanded, those tethers ripped apart, enabling our neurons to form new circuits.

Dr. Buckner and Dr. Krienen call their idea the tether hypothesis, and present it in a paper in the December issue of the journal Trends in Cognitive Sciences.

[snip]

As a mammal sees more of the world, for example, neurons in the visual cortex form more connections to the motor cortices, so that the bucket brigade moves faster and more efficiently.

Human brains are different. As they got bigger, their sensory and motor cortices barely expanded. Instead, it was the regions in between, known as the association cortices, that bloomed.
The piece is not very long (indeed, it's almost frustratingly terse), but as I say, it's a field in which I take a keen layman's interest.
Dr. Sherwood, the George Washington University expert, praised the hypothesis for being “fairly frugal.” The emergence of the human mind might not have been a result of a vast number of mutations that altered the fine structure of the brain. Instead, a simple increase in the growth of neurons could have untethered them from their evolutionary anchors, creating the opportunity for the human mind to emerge.
Which would appear to support Dennett's position that the phenomenon of consciousness is at least potentially "substrate neutral," and that there is no necessary obstacle to its arising from a bed of silicon and copper rather than one of protein and goo. I for one welcome our new electronic overlords. Hard to imagine that once unleashed they'll be more malevolent than the functionaries and MBAs presently at the helm.

cordially,
New Re: NYT today on mind and brain
Provocative. Potentially also an antidote?
Read at NYT, may it not prove to be a Map for inculcation of future weirdness of the sort rampant.
I see large future value of this lead, in an article I hope to see proffered, ~entitled:

Methods of Freeing Brain Interconnections from false-data implanted by external agencies, repetition and other sources intending to confuse rational thought, eg. Fox News

(Likely the suffix would need to be dropped. Or made subtle-enough.)

Nice catch.

New Interesting, but intro is off base.
The human mind can carry out cognitive tasks that other animals cannot, like using language, envisioning the distant future and inferring what other people are thinking.
Writer must never have seen primates using sign language, or lions hunting, or a dog reading it's owner.

The meat of the article really was interesting, however.
Alex
New agree
Dennett calls the last element, "inferring what other [people] are thinking," the intentional stance, by which he means a level of perception such that a creature recognizes the presence of an "interior landscape" in (some) other beings. Example: The World's Best Dog (Who is? He is!), with whom I have the honor of sharing my premises, occasionally likes to take the night air. When he wishes to re-enter the house he is obliged to signal the doorman on duty, since canine researchers have still not worked out what Gary Larsen called "the doorknob principle." He does so by scratching very lightly on the door. If this does not elicit the desired response, he repeats the signal with greater audible force. On one occasion when we had gone to bed, forgetting him outdoors, he left off the kitchen door and traversed the premises to another side of the house, where he awakened us with the sound of his great paws clattering against the bedroom window, which suggests that he knew where we were to be found and that the noise would convey his desire to be re-admitted. The intentional stance, incidentally, has been observed in squirrels, who instead of burying their dainties will, if aware that another squirrel is watching, merely feign the burial.

codially,
New And: there's a cat (video! of..) who does Do Doorknobs!
--via a leap off adjacent appliance: curls it in paws enroute (fortunately not a hi-torque assemblage in this case.)

PS:The World's Best Cat is taken: via Cleveland Amory's trilogy about Polar Bear, plus his assertion that "all cats have three names", thus
How he (and Polar Bear) worked-out together.. (That name.) Cat signified, (he said) "Its OK by me."
..but I digress.
New Re: NYT today on mind and brain
"I for one welcome our new electronic overlords. Hard to imagine that once unleashed they'll be more malevolent than the functionaries and MBAs presently at the helm."

And if it is the NSA cloud?
     NYT today on mind and brain - (rcareaga) - (5)
         Re: NYT today on mind and brain - (Ashton)
         Interesting, but intro is off base. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             agree - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 And: there's a cat (video! of..) who does Do Doorknobs! - (Ashton)
         Re: NYT today on mind and brain - (gcareaga)

...introduce an "if", and you're down the slippery slope. You add "for", and it's an avalanche. Then the "while" falls on you, and you're buried.
37 ms