IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New So, they've all been charged with murder, I presume?
Or at least manslaughter? If not, why not?
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Louisiana is why not
that is perfectly acceptable to use force to stop someone knifing a relative
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New So,"stop" equals "kill" in your book?
And you have no idea why the rest of the world sees Yanks as trigger-happy...?
--
Christian R. Conrad

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New no trigger involved, reported as a physical confrontation
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Did they edit tht sub-header? I could have sworn...
...that where it now reads "Family members stormed house where woman was held hostage, injured kidnapper to the extent that he died hours later", when I first saw it, it was something specifically to the effect that they _shot_ the kidnapper.
--
Christian R. Conrad

New Re: Did they edit tht sub-header? I could have sworn...
It might have said something different, but I never read *shot* there.

I recall thinking, how did they "storm the house" without weapons... I'd presumed pistols or rifles or shotguns... but swords didn't seem apropos in this day and age.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New you must be of german extract
doggedly read each reply and replying before reading further replies where first reply is declared in error
New :) !
One does not have to be of German extraction for that.

Being anal-retentive will do.
Alex
New Double whammy.
So what would you expect?
New Well, they do say it takes one to know one. :)
Alex
New sorry, gunshots were in fact reported
Seeing some maroon stabbing your sister one does not politely step outside and dial 911 on your cell and wait. At least in most places over here.
New Right. A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone every time
New You just realized this?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Nope. Known it my whole life.
Or at least since I was eight, when my grandpa gave me my first .45 ;0)
New I'd have done it
She had a protective order claiming he had repeatedly held a knife to her throat and threatened to kill her. He forced her into his car, leaving their 2-year-old son unattended in an open vehicle. That proves the allegations against him were credible.

When they found him, he was in an abandoned house and she had already been stabbed multiple times. If that were my sister or daughter, I'd have gladly beat him to death on camera and take my chances with a jury.
--

Drew
New See, here's the problem
When you go to "beating someone to death because they're bad and they've hurt you and yours" rather than "beating them just enough to stop them hurting someone", you've made the transition from hero to murderer.

Yes, they did wrong. Yes, they deserve to be punished for it. Yes, it probably deserves to hurt and to last for a long time.

But there's a justice system for that, and your fists aren't part of it.

You say you'd take your chances with a jury - well, the jury can only deliver a verdict on the evidence they're presented, and if that evidence is "he unnecessarily and gladly beat someone to death, and did so on camera", then you goin' down, son. The prosecution will make sure of that, painting the deceased as a troubled, tragic figure, and you as a violent ex-marine. Not to mention that you've got a family who presumably quite like having you around, earning money and being there and generally not doing the whole "in federal prison" thing. Why roll the dice with that?

There's no place in a civilised society for vigilantism.
New Just out of curiousity
Exactly when did you develop the delusion that there was a "civilized society" anywhere this vicinity?
It has never been particularly civilized and we are presently destroying any remaining vestiges of society as quickly as the Republicans can move.
New 'Xackly, that's what I'm saying:
Not in your vicinity there ain't.
--
Christian R. Conrad

New problem is it took place in rural louisiana
probably the locals are more likely to hold a parade for the rescuers than think about jailing them. It is a long way from the UK down there.
New Wait...
You are assuming we have a very capable prosecution system. One capable of prosecuting the right people for the right crimes. One capable of making sure it is indeed serving the public properly.

There are many many many many instances of corrupt Sheriff Departments, corrupt District Attorney's, corrupt Judges. Sometimes they all line up in the same town/country/village/whatever. Most times they are separate entities unto themselves.

My Niece's husband was arrested by a rogue Sheriff's Deputy in Northern Michigan. Except she is the Sheriff's wife... and she was appointed to the spot by some elected officials that were friends with the Sheriff, who was also elected.

The circumstance under which he was arrested, was effectively driving under influence in his truck on his own property through his yard from one garage to another garage to work on the truck. The official charge "Driving Under Influence with intent to drive on public roadways and resisting arrest." Video from the Deputy's car show NO belligerence at all, 100% compliance and very rough handling from the Deputy.

At this point, it has turned into a Federal case, with some serious "shiite" coming down soon on the deputy and some additional charges against the Sheriff's and District Attorney's offices.

This is one of many instances of this kind of things happening. These do happening larger cities, but many/most happening in rural areas, where scrutiny and other kinds of pressure can be applied.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Hope he gets lucky
There was a similar case in VT in '95 where a State cop hung a DUI on a guy moving his car from where it was parked in his driveway into his garage.

To make the conviction stick, the Supreme Court ended up declaring driveways are public highways. The sad end result was an overnight explosion of "no trespassing" signs.
New **COUGH**
You mean beaten to incapacitate him on camera... if that then caused death, so be it and then take chances with the jury.

Come on mister, you know the right-write-words... right?
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
     now thats family, kidnapped woman rescued - (boxley) - (22)
         So, they've all been charged with murder, I presume? - (CRConrad) - (21)
             Louisiana is why not - (boxley) - (12)
                 So,"stop" equals "kill" in your book? - (CRConrad) - (11)
                     no trigger involved, reported as a physical confrontation -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                         Did they edit tht sub-header? I could have sworn... - (CRConrad) - (5)
                             Re: Did they edit tht sub-header? I could have sworn... - (folkert)
                             you must be of german extract - (boxley) - (3)
                                 :) ! - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                     Double whammy. -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                         Well, they do say it takes one to know one. :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                     sorry, gunshots were in fact reported - (boxley) - (3)
                         Right. A gun in the hand beats a cop on the phone every time -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                             You just realized this? -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                 Nope. Known it my whole life. - (mmoffitt)
             I'd have done it - (drook) - (7)
                 See, here's the problem - (pwhysall) - (5)
                     Just out of curiousity - (hnick) - (1)
                         'Xackly, that's what I'm saying: - (CRConrad)
                     problem is it took place in rural louisiana - (boxley)
                     Wait... - (folkert) - (1)
                         Hope he gets lucky - (scoenye)
                 **COUGH** - (folkert)

*SHUN*
250 ms