IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Uninteresting
you say that now but steamos has a feature to use a windows pc to host the video games on via the steam client and then steamos can play the games over the local network or the internet to the steamos box.

which means steamos players can play windows games in the steam cloud using their windows pcs to store the games on. which also means that all 2500+ steam windows games can be played on steamos this way. how many games does that windows 8 store have again?

linux may lack games, true, but using dosbox they can play old dos games and using qemu they can play some classic windows games with an old windows image like windows 95 or 98; however, with wine they can play quite a few windows games like civilization v, etc.

if you saw the steam controller you would know it makes all other controllers look like shite and then you realise that when half life 3 comes out only for linux that valve has the lock-in.
New My Windows 8 PC...
...can play all the games in the Steam store, all the games in Origin, AND all the games in the Windows 8 store.

SteamOS players still need a Windows PC to play the vast majority of games.

So why bother with SteamOS? Cut to the chase and plug your PC into your telly, or get an XBox or PS4.

DOSBox and WINE aren't a selling point; if you're buying something like a SteamBox, that shit needs to work out of the box and without the customer even knowing it's there.

Newell has seen what's coming down the pipe, and it's basically his proprietary, DRMed-to-the-nines, walled-garden being rendered obsolete. He's using Linux because it's cheap, not because it's "open". If you want to find out how "open" Valve is, ask 'em for the Steam source code.

(The controller does not "make all other controllers look like shite", and Half Life 3, if it even exists, which I don't think it does, will come out on Windows first, I'd bet a pint on that. Gabe likes to blather on about linux, but he likes money more.)
Expand Edited by pwhysall Nov. 6, 2013, 03:56:51 AM EST
New Reading comprehension much?
The new gamer kid fan-boy wibbles:
you say that now but steamos has a feature to use a windows pc to host the video games on via the steam client and then steamos can play the games over the local network or the internet to the steamos box.
Listen up, new gamer kid fan-boy -- Peter had already, in the very post you were replying to, demolished that little fantasy:
The workaround seems to be that you stream your games-that-don't-run-on-Linux (i.e. most if not all of them) from your actual Windows PC to your SteamOS box.

At which point I would suggest the vast majority of people are going to go "eh, fuckit...
So please try to read before writing, eh? That way you won't look like a fool by asking something that's already been answered, making an argument that's already been debunked, etc. HTH!
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
     SteamOS - (Another Scott) - (4)
         Uninteresting - (pwhysall) - (3)
             Re: Uninteresting - (mindpixel) - (2)
                 My Windows 8 PC... - (pwhysall)
                 Reading comprehension much? - (CRConrad)

In space no one can hear you babble.
39 ms