IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Economists are horrible, horrible people. So says science.
http://www.globalpos...eople-its-science

Well.. coulda knocked me over with a feather: Who KNEW?
I mean.. I Mean: I thought they were just daft/full-of-selves like so many other Theory-ridden Believers..

Economists are horrible, horrible people. So says science
Why does the invisible hand want to slap you across the face? Because it belongs to a douchebag, apparently.

BOSTON — Why does the invisible hand want to slap you across the face?

Because it belongs to a douchebag.

That's the conclusion, anyway, of a provocative blog post in Psychology Today by Wharton professor Adam Grant making the rounds across planet internet.

But before all you econ majors get your demand curves in a twist, hear what the good professor has to say.

Citing research by Cornell professor Robert Frank, Grant makes the compelling case that economists are neither generous, nor cooperative. And that's because they've swallowed one of Adam Smith's main tenets: people act out of rational self-interest.

Emphasis here on the self.

In short: economists don't feel bad about acting in their self-interest because — well — the economic theories tell them that they should be selfish.

To help make his case, Grant points to three key data points.

First, economics professors give less money to charity than those in other academic fields, such as literature, history, philosophy, psychology, sociology, anthropology, education, physics, chemistry and biology.

"More than twice as many economics professors gave zero dollars to charity than professors from the other fields," Grant adds.

Second, economics students are more likely to engage in deceptive behaviors when they believe they stand to gain, as this study in Germany shows.

Finally, economics majors — echoing that old Wall Street hero Gordon Gekko — are more likely to believe that greed is good.

[. . . .]

Vindicated At Last ... by er, Science: Those mofos Suck. just as I/we? supposed.
New Even those of us in training?
http://www.training....dtusa/static/home
New Training Waters Technology?
Taken together with the thread about the ex-CIA/NSA boss, I couldn't help but read that as training in the techniques of waterboarding.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New Sorry.. MEGO when exposed to religious inculcation by-the-
numbers.

(I do not deny--'twould be futile--that you can {{ugh}} Learn precisely How-to Game The System: thus extracting gelt from all-the-anonymous-Other inhabitants.
More shit for your gold-plated commode/aka: Fuck Them; I Got Mine. (Isn't that a disease, actually?)

But whenever I try to get-into-that-spirit ... I soon have to wash brain out with peroxide.
So I don't Go There.
Hope you survive your current sub-Terranian Venture, somewhat unscathed.. seems that one has to be scathed a tad.. in any true Learning experience, though--no?
New Economists are horrible and stupid people.
I hypothesize this may be self-selection: those who aren't selfish are less inclined to academic fields that model selfishness.

I also reckon economists aren't truly scientists. If they were evidence-led, they wouldn't think people are rational.
--------------------------------------------
Matthew Greet

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
New Oh, relax, ferfuxxake.
Sure, when going to university ("college", for the Yanks), people are liable to want to see the world modeled in simple and straightforward terms. An explanatory model that absolves us from being "wicked" for indulging in (what to such a young person would appear as fundamentally innocent) enlightened self-interest is of course all the more likely to be seized upon. The fact that market forces and the micro economy actually do work somewhat like Smith deduced and youthfully naive right-wingers imagine is and remains true; to pretend that this were totally untrue just because the young firebrands manage to make total inhuman prats of themselves in their eagerness to embrace a straight-forward and "rational" model of the world is churlish in the extreme. We've all been young and stupid.

It's only if they're still Randroids when they're over thirty that it's justified to declare them total fucking "morans" and sociopaths.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
     Economists are horrible, horrible people. So says science. - (Ashton) - (5)
         Even those of us in training? - (crazy) - (2)
             Training Waters Technology? - (CRConrad)
             Sorry.. MEGO when exposed to religious inculcation by-the- - (Ashton)
         Economists are horrible and stupid people. - (warmachine) - (1)
             Oh, relax, ferfuxxake. - (CRConrad)

It was April the 41st. Being a quadruple leapyear, I was driving in downtown Atlantis. My Barracuda was in the shop, so I was in a rented Stingray... and it was overheating.
38 ms