http://i.huffpost.co...2318/original.jpg

New Poifect!
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." --Stanislaw Jerzy Lec
New Welcome aboard!
New Ed Kilgore channels imaginary fierce BHO
If only:
Now I don’t know anything about the president’s relationship with Boehner. But it’s becoming a matter of national security for him to find some way to take him aside, maybe give the Speaker a cigarette from his secret stash, and say: “I will see you in Hell before I negotiate over the debt limit. And if you let a default happen, I will devote the rest of my presidency to making sure you, personally, bear the blame, and go down in history with our most despised traitors and criminals. For generations, little school children in Ohio will cross themselves and make hex signs when your name is mentioned. So do not, do not, go back and tell your crazy people they can win if they just stick together.”
http://www.washingto...php#disqus_thread

cordially,
New I'm arguing with a Tea Bagger on Facebook...
That I know face to face, very well.

He won't/can't answer the very prime question:

Did the ACA get voted through the House and Senate and Signed by the President, get challenged in the Courts and be upheld and is now a Law of the land?

He answers with very LONG and drawn out answers that do not answer it. And in fact completely refuses to see anything but his ignorance. I'm disappointed in him.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Long drawn-out non-answers in opposition to the ACA?!?
Why, how extraordinary! Who'd have thought such a thing were possible?
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New ACA absolutely is the law. USSC said so
and the IRS will start imposing an individual tax starting in 2014. Oprhans can keep medicaid until they are 26, the law isn't entirely bad at all. It's the crap part, that no one looked at how other countries have tried and failed with similar policies on protected employees vs unprotected employees. No one stopped to think that employers would scramble to unprotect employees because of the unknown costs in the future. Peru tried is and the entire country was fired with the same folks hired back as temps at a lower rate of pay with no benefits. The same thing happened in many countries that enacted laws like that. Our lawmakers either didn't understand or didn't care that it would happen here. That is my major gripe.

Oh yea, state of minnesota was supposed to go live yesterday, but they asked folks to wait a few hours, and if you were Native American, try back in two weeks, go figure.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New Missed one
Our lawmakers either didn't understand or didn't care that it would happen here.
Or maybe some of them wanted it to fail, and those were willing to do anything it takes to make that happen.
--

Drew
New do you have any links that show there was any
republican ammendments allowed in the bill? I remember pelosi refusing to allow any. Do you have a link to show that they had any input at all? I don't remember any, thought it was an all Democratic effort. A link to show what republican ammendments were accepted and passed would be nice, my memory is not all that good.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 58 years. meep
New The Republicans added all kinds of stuff to the ACA.
e.g. Grassley's stunt - http://www.forbes.co...acares-exchanges/

Boehner was shown to be two-timing the people about it, of course...

http://www.forbes.co...n-the-government/

Also, too - http://mediamatters....eform-c/156944#12

In the House, http://www.huffingto...-al_n_339188.html

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New thanks for the links.
The first two links indicate that there was an ammendment to insist that congress critters and staff participate in the exchanges, rather benign

second link is more of the same
3rd link is the most compelling
REALITY: Senate bills included numerous GOP amendments, reflected bipartisan meetings. According to a HELP Committee document about bipartisan aspects of the health reform bill the committee passed July 15, the final bill included "161 Republican amendments," including "several amendments from Senators [Mike] Enzi [R-WY], [Tom] Coburn [R-OK], [Pat] Roberts [R-KS] and others [that] make certain that nothing in the legislation will allow for rationing of care," and reflected the efforts of "six bipartisan working groups" that "met a combined 72 times" in 2009 as well as "30 bipartisan hearings on health care reform" since 2007, half of which were held in 2009. [HELP Committee document, 7/09] And according to the Senate Finance Committee's document detailing the amendments to the Chairman's Mark considered, at least 13 amendments sponsored by one or more Republican senators were included in the bill.
compelling if any of that was true. It may well be but the link to the document takes one to a 404, since many of the links media matters refer to dont exist except to allow media matters to pretend that all of their reporting may be accurate. Its a well know issue with them.

4th link quites Pelosi stating that she would not allow ammendments.

New At that point, the heavy lifting was done in the Senate.
This is all old news.

If you really want the old links, most likely they're at the Wayback Machine - http://www.archive.org Link rot is not a MediaMatters conspiracy. ;-)

The "rather benign" posturing by Grassley was a political stunt that was designed to embarrass the Democrats and make then vote against the bill. It does nothing productive, doesn't hurt him and his colleagues, but makes their staff take a huge financial hit (by removing the employer contribution to their health insurance). It's stupid and spiteful and would be removed if the House majority were a sensible group.

You know as well as me that there were years of hearings and votes on all sorts of aspects of the ACA. The bill that passed was not "rammed down our throat" by Pelosi. The House had their version, but when it came down to the deadline, what mattered was what could get 60 votes in the Senate. So that's the version that passed. If Pelosi had allowed any amendments (Republican or Democratic) at that point, then at least one of the prima donnas in the Senate would have threatened to vote no, killing the bill. Since majority rule is a foreign concept in the Senate, she had to go along.

Distilling all of that into something like "Pelosi was a tyrant and didn't allow Republican amendments" is disingenuous, and you know it. The other party is the one with a history of ramming. She didn't stop time and make a 15 minute vote last around 2 hours as Republicans did for the Medicare Part D vote. ;-)

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New wasnt trying to go there
my impression was that the repos obstructed the bill all the way to the bitter end but now if anyone brings up that obamacare sux a chorus of "its the republicans fault" springs up
New It was a long process with may facets.
In committee, early on the Democrats were watering things down to try to get a few Rs on board. Eventually, once they had enough support, they stopped making changes to make sure it would pass.

That's one reason why startup was delayed so long, I think.

The uniform Republican opposition came later.

That's my recollection, anyway.

Cheers,
Scott.
New thanks
New So, why can't it be thir fault both ways?
The BOx scribbles:
[M]y impression was that the repos obstructed the bill all the way to the bitter end but now if anyone brings up that obamacare sux a chorus of "its the republicans fault" springs up[.]
So what?

Yes, they obstructed it "to the bitter end"(*), so it's their fault that it came late.

AND they forced it to be watered-down as all Hell in order to squeeze through despite their obstructionism, so it's their fault that it "sux" in the sense of not covering all the things that it should.

Why should it only be their fault one way or the other, when they set out to fuck it up any way they could? If it's slightly fucked-up in more ways than one, ALL those ways can logically be the fault of these too-successful fucker-uppers.

(That seems to be all the Republicans are good for, by the way: Fucking stuff up.)

---
(*): And are now in the process of obstructing for obstructionism's own sake; far, far beyond any reasonable definition of "the end", be that "bitter" or sweet.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New " they forced it to be watered-down as all Hell"
the democratic party had sizable majorities and owned the white house, explain how this "forced" thing works will you?
New It's spelled F-I-L-I-B-U-S-T-E-R
--

Drew
New no It's spelled c-h-i-c-k-e-n-s-h-i-t
Reid could have ended debate at any time under senate rules. He has done so twice since for less reason
New +6.66: minimalist Definition of, 'to be a Repo 2013'
New Pelosi did let the most influential Republican amend it.
She caved into the White House demand that there be no public option.

HTH.
New Couldn't have been "all Democratic"
There was no public option. There was no discussion even allowed of Single Payer. This *is* a Republican piece of legislation. It is exactly what Wall Street wanted. Obama gave Big Pharma everything it wanted before the bill was even discussed. It gave Wall Street private health insurers everything they wanted, again, before the bill was discussed.
New I fear that..
there's nothing hyperbolic in that summary:

We get the 1% raking-off 15-20% (depending on whose guesstimates) CONTINUING. In Perpetuity.
Can't EVER get the Insurance/Finance Mil.-industrial VETOES over-ridden under Vulture Capitalism Rules of Winner Takes All
Thus, [pre-Revolution] we Are and shall Remain FUCKED [not just in ""health"" care.]

Don't get really-Sick.. in Murica! Evah==Go Elsewhere! for 1/4th to 1/10th of the 1%'s VIGORISH
New You should just go with universal healthcare
Paid for out of general taxation.

Costs less, works better.

HTH!
New Well duh
--

Drew
New Most of us know that.
Unfortunately, so do all the fascists who make obscene profits from the delivery of healthcare in this country whilst simultaneously doing nothing to provide it. And those people own our government. Including the White House.
New yup another 2% on the payroll tax would be close to covering
New Which part of "costs less" did you miss?
New That would still be less for us.
Because we'd all be able to drop the pre-tax health insurance premium amount we pay now.

(Aside: God, what it must be like not to see that $300 deduction from each of one's paychecks)
New we dont have the cash unless we raise some
our paroll taxes are ssi (social security, pensions disability)
medicare (this currently only pays for pensioners and disabled peoples medical and welfare recieptiants) and doesnt really take in enough to pay for that
unemplyment tax
and fedral tax (support wars and bankers)

so additional monies would need to come in to get it going
New Raising the FICA limit slowly would do it.
People making < $50k aren't undertaxed.

Cheers,
Scott.
New that would work as well
New Not arguing anymore with a Tea Bagger on Facebook...
As he became so enraged, he "blocked" me.

Which I am very ok with. To watch his stupid was painful.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New Life's too short. Enjoy the reduced aggravation.
New I can't imagine his...
opinion about Boxley, should they have ever met.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net
New there is a calvin toon that covers that
New Re: House of Turds

"I'm of two minds," Lott said. "I'd like to be in the arena and help work something out. But it's gotten too nasty and too mean these days. I couldn't work with these guys."

When an asshole like Trent Lott shies away from the cesspool that is the GOP caucus, perhaps they've gone a teensy bit too far?

http://www.dailykos....-Lott?detail=hide

Satan (impatiently) to Newcomer: The trouble with you Chicago people is, that you think you are the best people down here; whereas you are merely the most numerous.
- - - Mark Twain “Pudd’nhead Wilson’s New Calendar,” 1897
     House of Turds - (gcareaga) - (36)
         Poifect! -NT - (folkert)
         Welcome aboard! -NT - (Another Scott)
         Ed Kilgore channels imaginary fierce BHO - (rcareaga) - (32)
             I'm arguing with a Tea Bagger on Facebook... - (folkert) - (31)
                 Long drawn-out non-answers in opposition to the ACA?!? - (CRConrad)
                 ACA absolutely is the law. USSC said so - (boxley) - (25)
                     Missed one - (drook) - (15)
                         do you have any links that show there was any - (boxley) - (14)
                             The Republicans added all kinds of stuff to the ACA. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                 thanks for the links. - (boxley) - (10)
                                     At that point, the heavy lifting was done in the Senate. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                         wasnt trying to go there - (boxley) - (7)
                                             It was a long process with may facets. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                                 thanks -NT - (boxley)
                                             So, why can't it be thir fault both ways? - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                                 " they forced it to be watered-down as all Hell" - (boxley) - (2)
                                                     It's spelled F-I-L-I-B-U-S-T-E-R -NT - (drook) - (1)
                                                         no It's spelled c-h-i-c-k-e-n-s-h-i-t - (boxley)
                                                 +6.66: minimalist Definition of, 'to be a Repo 2013' -NT - (Ashton)
                                         Pelosi did let the most influential Republican amend it. - (mmoffitt)
                             Couldn't have been "all Democratic" - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 I fear that.. - (Ashton)
                     You should just go with universal healthcare - (pwhysall) - (8)
                         Well duh -NT - (drook)
                         Most of us know that. - (mmoffitt)
                         yup another 2% on the payroll tax would be close to covering -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                             Which part of "costs less" did you miss? -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                 That would still be less for us. - (mmoffitt)
                                 we dont have the cash unless we raise some - (boxley) - (2)
                                     Raising the FICA limit slowly would do it. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                         that would work as well -NT - (boxley)
                 Not arguing anymore with a Tea Bagger on Facebook... - (folkert) - (3)
                     Life's too short. Enjoy the reduced aggravation. -NT - (Another Scott) - (2)
                         I can't imagine his... - (folkert) - (1)
                             there is a calvin toon that covers that -NT - (boxley)
         Re: House of Turds - (lincoln)

Firecracker!
103 ms