IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Ashton, I think you'll like this
[link|http://www.seattleweekly.com/features/9928/impolitics-parrish.shtml|URL]

A movement is quietly taking shape, in Seattle and other cities, to boldly challenge the power of corporations.

The idea is radical in its simplicity: to take on the rapidly expanding power of corporations by revoking their original charters. Corporations may be globetrotters but they all originate somewhere. In the US, there are laws that provide for revocation of corporate charters if the company is violating laws or otherwise operating in ways contrary to the public interest.
K-mart. The company that beat Microsoft in customer satisfaction.
New Like?______Love. It.
May 'they' live long and prosper: 'they' is us! (or at least most non-Suited 'us'es external to the 3% who have purchased control of 'us'-all)

Problem shall always be, of course - preaching to the not-yet Converted..

Thanks, will follow up, cogitate, ponder ... and for a nice interlude indulge in a bit of -

Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle.. Cackle..
New Woooo hoooooo!
New Er umm *Seattle* group?
Anybody you know?
New I haven't heard yet. Probably not.
I didn't even know about the other instances of banning corps.

I need to grab a copy of the Weekly and see when I can join this.

HappyHappyJoyJoy!
New He's right.
Seattle is about as capable of putting together some kind of cohesive anti-corporate action as they've ever been - translation: Not one bloody bit.

City's going to shits, IMO.

Hey, Brandi, still on for that get together some time?
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Yep.
Next week is booked solid. You up for the week after?
New Groovy. Still got my e-mail?
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
New Apparently not.
I sent a message to your yahoooooo account.

I'm still me at hotmail.
New While waiting for their charters' revocation
... corporations are relocating. To Bahamas.

Stanley (mechanical tools manufacturers) are now incorporated there. Mind you, they keep US headquaters and some manufacturing. Tax rebates too, probably. (heard today on NPR).
New Don't worry, our elected officials are right on top of it.
As can be evidenced by recent proclamations from that there hill on the capitol - "This avoidance of tax revenue is downright illegal! At least until you up your yearly donations to our reti^h^h^h^hcampaign funds..."
InThane - Now running Ashton rev 2.0
New Heard that too.. another to add to boycott list w/Walmart.
New Seen the idea before
I've seen that idea floating around before.

But this is the first time I've ever actually heard of a corporate charter being revoked.

Personally, I think it's a really good thing. Not so much because of the direct impact it will have on companies but because of the indirect impact it will have on corporate backers. Investors will be far less likely to support questionable companies if they run the risk that their money might just evaporate, same goes for groups giving out loans and financing.

This sort of thing is the opposite site of the free market that real financial conservatives support and political hacks sell out to get backing.

Jay
New Excellent point..
Whatever the word 'conservative' means to its many (pro/con) mouthers:

How could a person allegedly enamoured of the Holy Grail of a Free! Market - object to the disciplining of the evident miscreants.. unless that person's idea of 'being conservative' connotes that, winning by any means = the true root of Capitalism 2000?

(If one judged by countless Murican press vignettes - that last IS the visceral content of 'Conservatism' today, as all along. Just look at Billy's rep among the masses, and especially among the Suited occupants near the head of most all large US corporations -- even after 10 years of ineffective litigation and a formal finding of guilty, two years ago.)

SO.. WTF do Conservatives think they are for/against -- and, do any Two agree on that laundry list ??

Ashton

I know.. I know - it's a Religion.. so each one has own personal definition which varies to fit the circumstances. So what else is new.. in the daily murder of Language? 'Conservative' is as meaningless an apellation today -- as is 'Liberal'. And THAT's pretty meaningless!
New Or, simpler: If you're for the death penalty for *people*...
New Corporate Death Penalty
Dave Winer is aptly named, but he has one idea I like.

Legally, a corporation is a virtual person.

People who commit heinous enough crimes get the death penalty.

So why can't we execute corporations?

Seems reasonable to me.
The average hunter gatherer works 20 hours a week.
The average farmer works 40 hours a week.
The average programmer works 60 hours a week.
What the hell are we thinking?
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:33:44 AM EDT
New The Whiner?!? *I* said that, years ago! (Here, or on EzCrap)
     Ashton, I think you'll like this - (Silverlock) - (16)
         Like?______Love. It. - (Ashton)
         Woooo hoooooo! -NT - (Brandioch) - (6)
             Er umm *Seattle* group? - (Ashton) - (5)
                 I haven't heard yet. Probably not. - (Brandioch) - (4)
                     He's right. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         Yep. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                             Groovy. Still got my e-mail? -NT - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Apparently not. - (Brandioch)
         While waiting for their charters' revocation - (Arkadiy) - (2)
             Don't worry, our elected officials are right on top of it. - (inthane-chan)
             Heard that too.. another to add to boycott list w/Walmart. -NT - (Ashton)
         Seen the idea before - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             Excellent point.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Or, simpler: If you're for the death penalty for *people*... -NT - (CRConrad)
         Corporate Death Penalty - (tuberculosis) - (1)
             The Whiner?!? *I* said that, years ago! (Here, or on EzCrap) -NT - (CRConrad)

It's time for the sandy vaseline!
60 ms