IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Aargh! That's Ctrl-Alt-F1, etc.
Sorry about that. The alt-F# combinations switch between the text based virtual consoles, but once X is running, those keys are usually trapped by the display manager. So Ctrl-Alt-F# take their place.

If things are really stuck, you need to interrupt the boot process. A stock LILO installation waits for a couple of seconds before launching Linux, so you should have time to get to single user mode. When you get the boot prompt, type 'single' or 'linux single', then hit return. If all goes well, you'll end up in 'maintenance mode' (i.e. a root shell).
New Oh, fark it.
It's too hosed to come back out of it. Lilo pauses for roughly 1/10th of a second, then starts loading Linux - no prompt, no nothing.

Hey, maybe I can boot the cd and do a recovery from there... Hmm...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Might have just done it.
We'll see, we'll see...
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New Well, I'm at the command prompt.
Now I just need to find the command that'll let me repick all my vid stuff.

Sigh.
New Slowiing down LILO
Since you've got the cli now, go to /etc and edit lilo.conf. There's a line for boot timeout. Make sure run lilo after the edit :)
-----
Steve
     Stopping XDM from executing on boot. - (inthane-chan) - (8)
         Which Debian? - (scoenye) - (6)
             I'm using Woody. - (inthane-chan) - (5)
                 Aargh! That's Ctrl-Alt-F1, etc. - (scoenye) - (4)
                     Oh, fark it. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         Might have just done it. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                             Well, I'm at the command prompt. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                 Slowiing down LILO - (Steve Lowe)
         Our resident Debian GURU - (Steve Lowe)

For Wade, it is to laugh.
36 ms