IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New SC court orders child back to adoptive parents.
http://www.chron.com...ouple-4671078.php

Cheers,
Scott.
New Beautiful little girl. What a tragedy.
I hope she recovers from this.
New Funny how we say things like that.
So apparently the moral point stories like, say, _Cinderella_[*] make is still true. That is, I mean, if we all *really* thought that it's just as much a tragedy when it happens to an ugly little kid -- and who here will claim that it isn't? (Perhaps even more, come to think of it) -- then we wouldn't say stuff like that.

(No, Mike, not an attack on you personally, just a reflection on something I'm pretty sure we all do. I do it too; that doesn't make it less wrong.)

[*]: Or whatever, I may be getting my fairy tales mixed up. But not, anyway, _The Ugly Duckling_; I think Andersen must have been an unthinking goodlookist bigot.
--
Christian R. Conrad
Same old username (as above), but now on iki.fi

(Yeah, yeah, it redirects to the same old GMail... But just in case I ever want to change.)
New On beauty.
I heard Billy Connolly say that since he'd gotten older, his ideas of beauty had changed. Something about how at his age, he'd put behind him the usual ideas of beauty and found beauty in everyone. I'm younger than Connolly, but I understand what he meant. The Americanized idea of beautiful people is not one I share anymore and I often find great beauty in people that share nothing with that Americanized notion of beauty. But I always find beauty in small children. There are no small children who lack beauty. They only begin to lose their beauty when they gain their ability to speak. ;0)
New Re: speaking
We spend the first three years teaching them to stand up, walk around and speak clearly; and the next fifteen years telling them to sit down, be still and shut up.
--

Drew
New Excellent point. Well done.
New Now That's ... cutting to the chase! A keeper.
Ed:

Could spin a whole bio around that theme, my early-on unwillingness to comply
--and several Memorable adults who, bit-by-bite civilised me somewhat: thus preventing my likely ending up on a BART platform
[SF/Oakland area Metro] face-down on the deck: with a Rent-A-Cop standing over me / drawing his Glock-penis
(instead of the Tazer He Thought.. he had picked!)
/ and blowing me away.

There.. but for the Gracelessness of Cthulhu..
Expand Edited by Ashton July 28, 2013, 06:08:10 PM EDT
New Cat Stevens fan, are you?
How can I try to explain, when I do he turns away again.
It's always been the same, same old story.
From the moment I could talk I was ordered to listen.
Now there's a way and I know that I have to go away.
I know I have to go.

http://www.lyricsfre...son_20028183.html

New Father still fighting to keep his daughter.
http://www.nytimes.c...ices.html?hp&_r=0

On Monday, Mr. Brown turned himself in to Oklahoma authorities for failing to appear in South Carolina with the child, Veronica, to start the girl’s transition back to her adoptive parents, Matt and Melanie Capobianco.

Mr. Brown’s family said he would willingly face jail rather than lose custody of Veronica.

“Dusten plans to continue to fight for the right to keep his daughter and the right to raise her with her family where she belongs,” said Robin Brown, his wife. “She has the right to know where she comes from and know who she is.”

But for Mr. Brown, who is free on bond and fighting extradition to South Carolina on felony charges of custodial interference, time may be running out.

[...]

In light of the high court ruling, however, the South Carolina Supreme Court ordered a family court judge to approve Veronica’s adoption by the Capobiancos. The adoption became final July 31.

On one aspect of the dispute, virtually everyone agrees: Both the Capobiancos and Mr. Brown have created a safe, loving home for Veronica, almost 4, who has lived half of her life with each.

That may have complicated the dispute. Last month, Mr. Brown’s parents and his wife were granted temporary guardianship of Veronica in Cherokee tribal court while Mr. Brown was away on Oklahoma National Guard duty; the tribe has supported his efforts to keep the child.

[...]

Late Monday, the office of Gov. Nikki R. Haley of South Carolina signed a requisition warrant for Mr. Brown’s extradition from Oklahoma.

But on Tuesday, Gov. Mary Fallin of Oklahoma issued a statement saying she would not act on the warrant until Mr. Brown had a chance to contest the extradition at a Sept. 12 hearing.

They don't have too much more time to resolve this before she starts having permanent memories. Here's hoping they keep that in mind.

Cheers,
Scott.
     interesting decision by the ussc - (boxley) - (28)
         62 pages? How about a summary? -NT - (drook) - (18)
             short but probably miss stuff - (boxley) - (17)
                 Let's play a game - (drook) - (16)
                     I've only read probably 20 pages, but, here's my version. - (mmoffitt)
                     I will try - (boxley) - (14)
                         Got it - (drook) - (13)
                             Agree with you. - (a6l6e6x) - (12)
                                 Dunno. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                                     agreed -NT - (boxley)
                                     That'd be a more compelling argument, imo, if ... - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                         white mans doin's -NT - (boxley) - (6)
                                             I think I follow, but not sure. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                 lazy answer - (boxley) - (4)
                                                     Ignorant whitey question - (drook) - (2)
                                                         well you have met my kids - (boxley) - (1)
                                                             another example - (boxley)
                                                     Well, I did follow. Thanks for elaboration. ;0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                         He's a member of a tribe. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             I understand Sotomayer's point. - (mmoffitt)
         SC court orders child back to adoptive parents. - (Another Scott) - (8)
             Beautiful little girl. What a tragedy. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                 Funny how we say things like that. - (CRConrad) - (5)
                     On beauty. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         Re: speaking - (drook) - (3)
                             Excellent point. Well done. -NT - (hnick)
                             Now That's ... cutting to the chase! A keeper. - (Ashton)
                             Cat Stevens fan, are you? - (mmoffitt)
             Father still fighting to keep his daughter. - (Another Scott)

I swear it’s their damn business model.
68 ms