IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New For the philosophically inclined ... crazy? et al
http://ttbook.org/book/mind-and-brain

I've yet to catch this weekly program wallowing in either pretentious psychobabble or failing to properly quiz the many protagonists of theories (or conversely: reporters of the Absence-of-such.)
This was a 1 hr. npr broadcast on Sun. PM. Most speakers were authors--see listed books.
Several essays on current status of more than a couple enigmas re homo-saps' Consciousness, and the barely-at-infancy status of any Answers to the long-extant Q.s.

In brief: we don't know (even the proverbial-shit) about any relationship 'twixt the Science (of material things / the material world's brain) and.. Consciousness as it happens--or relates to what we call 'mind'.
[As Feynman oft mentioned, '..people think because they have a name for something--that they know what it means.]

Nor have we remotest insight as to any simple-assed Boolean-logical connections to: brain [material] in any concept of 'mapping'
When you count the # neurons+ sub-parts/mm3 and realize the density of [largely unstudied-yet] filamentary 'connections' / with or without Fibonacci deductions:
already we near Aleph-null complexity
Even the Octopus entry reveals an Interesting interaction reported by a researcher, and which limns our near-complete ignorance of the homo-sap version of brain/mind.

Think the whole hour is worth a liste, if for no other reason than:
to comprehend a little of the current Race-->seppuku of our fellow lemming-saps.
But that's just me.

YMMV, but still: we continue not-to-know-shit about the 'magnitude' or even dimensional-'space' of that which we call, 'ourselves'--wherever that place-mark really points? resides? "lives".

Bon apetít, all you enigmas wrapped in an n-dimensional matrix of fuzzy-logic [+ bacon]
New Thanks for the pointer.
It looks interesting, but unfortunately I have no time to read/listen to it now.

Along those lines, here's a decent Times piece on Dennett and his latest book - http://www.nytimes.c...gewanted=all&_r=0

Cheers,
Scott.
New 'Philosophy' needs more Curmudgeons..
Going along with the [Crowd-who-administer-the-Tests]== thus determining One's next livelihood..] guarantees fossilization.
(Could Super-String Theory, by-Definition unTestable except in wetware metaphors, put Physics in the same mix?)
We are rudderless and now.. Leaderless, too? :-0

Guess I'll have to see how his own All and Everything © another author compares with my list of crossed-out previous entries.
Thanx.. a lengthy enough NYT comment to get the flavo(u)r.

For the philosophically inclined ... crazy? et al - (Ashton) - (2)
         Thanks for the pointer. - (Another Scott) - (1)
             'Philosophy' needs more Curmudgeons.. - (Ashton)

Listeners, the City Council, for national security reasons, have replaced the following report with the sound of a burbling brook, followed by the sound of a running blender.
43 ms